OPPO BDP-103 and BDP-105 Networking Universal 3D Blu-ray Players (part2)

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by MilesSmiles, Jan 28, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vinylsoul 1965

Vinylsoul 1965 Senior Member

Hmm...as someone who is looking to buy a 103 or a 105 in the fall this question does not bode well. My player MUST be able to play this disc. :(

2. strat95

strat95 Senior Member

I have a BDP-83 and it's buried in the menus. You give priority to either the CD layer or the high res layer. You can't switch unless you change the menu setting and eject the disc, perhaps even powering down the unit also. I imagine it's the same for the the BDP-103. It would be nice if you could make the change on the fly or at least with a press of a button on the remote.

TV

3. jkev2

jkev2 Forum Resident

Good call. I went back into the settings. Changed the DVD-A setting to DVD-V. Shut the machine off, turned it back on, put the Disc back in and there was the PCM option. Went back into the settings and changed back to DVD-A and everything is fine. Thanks for the tip.

4. Guy R

Guy R Well-Known Member

This how all DVD-A players that I have owned work. You either designate (in the player) the DVD-A files or the DVD-V files as being the ones to playback. Why would you want to playback the DVD-V files when the Oppo is capable of playing back the DVD-A files?

5. jkev2

jkev2 Forum Resident

I don't. I switched it back to the DVD-A option after getting the PCM option to show on the menu. Before this, only the multi channel options were available. I think the key was to reboot the player to get the player to read the Stereo (PCM) DVD-A sector. All of my other DVD-A discs worked fine with the exception of the Love DVD. Its all good now.

6. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

So.... did anyone catch the Widescreen Review article about a potentially updated BDP-103? FYI, the article has been pulled ;)

7. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Sam,

You are killing me man :D. Is this a reality such as current 103 owners can get their 103s updated (ala 83 - 83SE)? Why was the article pulled? You can PM me if it is top secret as I can keep a secret ;).

Bill

8. testikoff

testikoff Seasoned n00b

IIRC, Love DVD-A has 2.0 16/48 LPCM track in DVD-Video area & 5.1 24/96 MLP track in DVD-Audio area...

9. RadioClash

RadioClash Senior Member

Heard a rumor about a newer model in which the 103 is integrated with a Darbee. This would be a new model, called the 103D, and not simply a firmware update.

10. gd0

gd0 Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies

I'll bite... what's a darbee?

11. Ozric

Ozric Senior Member

12. jamesmaya

jamesmaya Senior Member

Hi! I plan on getting the 103. How did you folks purchase your unit? Direct from OPPO or through Amazon? I have Amazon Prime. Thanks in advance.

13. I don't think Oppo products qualify for prime shipping, do it won't matter whether you purchase from Amazon or directly from Oppo. One of the online retailers (Audio Advisor perhaps) charges $10.00 over MSRP but they might have free shipping (so it's basically a wash).

14. I take it back. The 103 does qualify for Prime (the 105 does not, however). That's probably your best deal.

15. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I have no experience with the Darbee. I'd be surprised if Oppo implemented it in their players though. I've read a few user reviews on the Darbee and the reviews were kind of mixed as to if it was really that much of an improvement in PQ.

Bill

16. gd0

gd0 Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies

Hunhh. Looks like nothing more than a contrast boost. Something for gamers (he said dismissively).

Why would the Oppo, with its acclaimed PQ, need such an add-on?

Bill Mac likes this.
  17. jkev2

jkev2 Forum Resident

I purchased my Oppo 103 at Magnolia / Best Buy. Cashed in a bunch of Best Buy gift cards that I had been hoarding.

jamesmaya likes this.
  18. htom

htom Senior Member

This was the review that the company tends to use most in its publicitty, and Kris Deering does garner some respect, but YMMV. If it's an adjustable/switchable option, then there is likely no harm in it, unless the price changes that much.

19. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

Amazon so I could use my AMEX points.

jamesmaya likes this.
  20. Slappy9001

Slappy9001 Senior Member

I got the unit from Amazon so I could use the Prime shipping.

jeffsab likes this.
  21. GLUDFSSR

GLUDFSSR Senior Member

Got it from Amazon, free shipping and no tax depending on what state you are in.

22. Blair G.

Blair G. Senior Member

The tax is the kicker for me.
    My ship to is in Washington State and so is Amazon so I'll get dinged with tax for sure, in the 9% range.
    I'll be better to buy from someone else even if it's a bit more $$

23. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

I bet there's no tax and no shipping cost from AudioAdvisor (plus a great return policy).

24. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I agree 100% :).

Bill

25. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Why do they need the Qdeo video processor?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.