OPPO BDP-103 and BDP-105 Networking Universal 3D Blu-ray Players (part3)

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by MilesSmiles, Sep 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bubba-ho-tep

bubba-ho-tep Resident Ne'er-Do-Well

I'm having a problem with the wi-fi network connection on my BDP-105. The player will not stay connected to the network. Almost every time I turn on the Oppo, the network connection has been lost and I have to reconnect. I have the latest firmware. Do you think that it could have something to do with the fact that I'm using both rear USB ports: one for storage and one for wi-fi connection?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

2. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

WiFi can be flaky. What happens when you use wired LAN connection? I realize it's probably not convenient for you to run a long cord, but if you can do so temporarily, it will help you troubleshoot your issue.

Do you have AT&T U-verse as your TV/internet provider?

3. rbbert

rbbert Forum Resident

In another Oppo 105 thread here, a poster mentioned that Oppo told him how to fix his misbehaving Oppo 105 and also how to optimize for 2-channel playback. Despite repeated inquiries he has been unwilling to supply the details of the latter. Anyone here (SamS?) know what he may have meant?

ben_wood likes this.
  4. ellaguru

ellaguru Forum Resident

anyone here using the roku stick purchased through oppo?

i just got one and i find it hijacks the main menu button. only workaround ive found is to hit the big red 'netflix' button on the remote, let it sign you in, then hit the main menu button.

5. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

No clue. There are no secret optimizations, for 2ch, or otherwise.

Yes, I use the RSS through the 105D. The behavior you're describing is normal. You can also use the Input button to get back to the player menu/Home.

6. bubba-ho-tep

bubba-ho-tep Resident Ne'er-Do-Well

We have one of those Ethernet power line adapters laying around that I can plug in so we can avoid a long cord. I'll give it a try.

We have Verizon Fios as our provider.

7. D Schnozzman

D Schnozzman Forum Resident

Might be interference from the other gear on your rack. I had some wifi problems, but I put the USB dongle on the end of a USB extension cable and elevated it above the rack a bit. Seems to be better now.

8. Jerry Horne

Jerry Horne WYWH (1975-2025)

Yep, after just downloading the new software for my 103, the same thing happened to me with Sgt. Peppers on the Apple USB.

9. Jerry Horne

*Update*

Same thing happened on The Beatles White Album in FLAC on the Apple USB during Gapless playback. At the end of track two, it started playing track two again.

Oh well. Hoping for true Gapless soon. I'm sure OPPO is working on it!

10. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Try turning off the player/unplugging. Might cure those symptoms, for a while.

11. Jerry Horne

Cheers! I'll give it a shot.

12. Vocalpoint

Vocalpoint Forum Resident

Has anyone experienced the audio portion of a bluray drifting out of sync with the latest firmware?

Yesterday I was in an old school mood and decided on The Sting (this is the most recent "restoration from 35 MM prints" edition) - which I know I have played before via the 105 (with prior firmware)...but almost immediately I noticed the audio drifting until we were wayyyy off by midpoint in the movie.

In my layout - I am using the HDMI Out 1 to send the video portion to our Epson projector and HDMI Out 2 feeds the audio to our Pioneer Elite AVR. This is first time I have noticed anything out of the ordinary with our Oppo as it has been rock solid to this point.

Anyone else have anything like this happen? I need to test a few more BR to see if it's rampant - but this occasion was annoying.

I am wondering if it has anything to do with perhaps not doing a full reset when I applied the latest firmware?

Cheers,

VP

13. Norsemandave

Norsemandave Forum Resident

Not noticed anything drifting on my 103D and thats been updated.

14. applebonkerz

applebonkerz Senior Member

I received my 103 back from Oppo today. The note they included in the box says that my reported problem was confirmed, and they replaced the "Loader" part.

Unfortunate luck of the draw I guess that my 103 broke down with so relatively little use compared to most of you, but the customer service and repair process went as painless and quickly as I could have possibly asked for, short of them using some type of express overnight shipping or something. Waiting for the shipping to arrive both going and coming, is the only thing that really took any time. Their email that it was fixed and on its way back to me came the day after I received the email that my player had just arrived to them. That's pretty awesome service.

Bill Mac, SamS, wolfram and 1 other person like this.
  15. HiFi Guy 008

HiFi Guy 008 Forum Resident

I had my cable box hooked up to the hdmi input of the 105, and found the sound frequently out of sync. After resetting the cable box, it improved, only to go out of sync again later. I went back to hooking the box up to the tv directly and all is well again.
    Very strange. And disappointing, as the sound of tv through the Oppo is much better.

On an unrelated note, has anyone who had trouble using WiFi from their Mac to the 105 been able to get it to work yet? I reset the password on the router's website. Still no go. Tells me the password is wrong, although it "sees" the router in the list.

16. thegage

thegage Forum Currency Nerd

This seems to be a common problem with certain wi-fi capable devices and Macs. For example, in my system my son's XBox 360 has no problem connecting to my iMac via wi-fi and getting an internet connection, while my Sony BDP-S790 connects to the iMac fine but gets no internet connection. There is supposedly a fix for this but I haven't delved into it. Have you checked the Apple forums?

17. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I'm really happy that Oppo added the "Auto" setting option for the DSD/PCM setting. I use the analog outputs (for stereo SACDs) of the 103 to a Parasound 2100 preamp and it defaults to DSD automatically (when set to "Auto"). If I'm listening to multichannel SACDs I use HDMI to a Denon 4311. This defaults to PCM as I use Audyssey XT32 and the bass management of the 4311. So no more going into the 103's setup menu to change the DSD/PCM setting depending on my setting choice. Once again an excellent improvement to Oppo players via a firmware update :).

Bill

18. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

This password issue has been discussed earlier in this thread or one of the preceding threads. It has also been discussed in other forums there are links to those in one of the posts here). I'd be very interested if there is a solution.

19. Simon A

Simon A Arrr!

It's finally happened! My trusty Rotel RCD-955AX from 1991 is officially retiring tonight. I've been playing my BP-105 for over an hour now and I'm enjoying pure audio bliss! I'm using this solely for audio and I must say that it's sounds like I've upgraded all of my CDs in one shot. I had never heard SACD playback before so I was shocked by the depth and detail I heard from the discs I've sampled (Depeche Mode-Violator, Nat "King" Cole-The Very Thought Of You, Frank Sinatra-No One Cares).

The real treat however is playback of Red Book discs. I don't want to start dropping all the usual clichés, but let's just say I am rediscovering my entire CD collection and all the discs I knew sounded amazing now sound ten times better. The Mids and Highs are absolutely sublime and the Lows are tighter and have a nice roundness to them.

I'll be dropping by this thread form time to time for sure.

20. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

Good stuff.

21. fluffskul

fluffskul Would rather be at a concert

I apologize if this easy question has been asked/answered before, but one can't expect someone to read all 695 posts....

Can you hook an external hard drive directly to the Oppo BDP-105 through its USB in, or would it need to go through a computer first?

22. roboss38

roboss38 Forum Resident

External hard drive to the USB 2.0 on the front or back. I recommend the Oppo app for iPad or Android.

Simon A likes this.
  23. fluffskul

Why would I need an IPad app to run an external hard drive into an Oppo?

24. roboss38

roboss38 Forum Resident

It is a much more user friendly way to navigate through the music on your external drive. Plus, you can do gapless playback via this method as well.

25. fluffskul

Thanks I guess it will all make more sense when I actually get my Oppo. I'm planning on getting it as soon as I rip the majority of my CDs to the a hard drive and move the discs to storage (reward to myself for decluttering). I just wanted to make sure the way I envision things will really work before investing all this time! I picture a shelf for the OPPO w/ the 4 tb hard drive containing most of my music connected to it... Wow... I can't wait!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.