OPPO BDP-103 and BDP-105 Networking Universal 3D Blu-ray Players (part3)

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by MilesSmiles, Sep 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

iTunes won't decode discs that only have pre-emphasis in the subcode (only the TOC), so that won't work, IME.

Gardo's trick/tip should work on those discs that have subcode pre-emphasis.

2. jlc76

jlc76 Forum Resident

I just got my Oppo 105 Darbee Edition tonight and after hooking everything up and getting it setup on my wifi I'm now listening to John Coltrane "Blue Train" AP SACD, I can't and won't really comment on my impressions yet because I have the volume low (kids in bed) and it could obviously use some break-in first.

One question, how do I switch between the HDMI and stereo RCA outputs? When I'm playing an SACD it only goes through the RCA outputs but when I play my squeezebox through the optical in it annoyingly has sound going both to my integrated amp (via RCA) and my TV (via HDMI). I can mute the TV volume but I'd like a permanent solution to this. I haven't tried it yet but I'd also like to mute the RCA outputs when I watch a movie. Maybe I just turn the TV off/down when I play music and turn my integrated amp off when I play a DVD/BRD. I might go back to multichannel at some point (need a new receiver) so I'll need to figure how to separate them eventually.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2014
  3. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

What is the annoying sound?

You can switch HDMI audio to Off via the player's setup menu.

You can use the OPPO remote volume buttons to decrease the analog volume to zero, which doesn't impact the volume to the HDMI output.

4. jlc76

jlc76 Forum Resident

No, it's annoying that I'm hearing my music come both through my cheap TV speakers and my 2 channel setup at the same time. I would set the HDMI audio to off but I know the second I do that I'll be getting a call at work from my wife wondering why the kids DVDs aren't playing sound through the TV. I guess I'll have to show her how all this works now, she's not going to be happy that it's changed. Haha. Oh well.

5. Kal Rubinson

Kal Rubinson Senior Member

All the Oppo outputs are active all the time and there are no options to turn them off. The only reason you do not hear SACD through the HDMI is that your TV is incompatible with SACD, so the output is muted.

I am afraid that the only "simple" or "automatic" solution is to get an AVR.

6. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

While I agree with Kal's recommendation to get an AVR, there are options to mute/turn off either HDMI or analog audio:

• You can switch HDMI audio to Off via the player's setup menu.
    • You can use the OPPO remote volume buttons to decrease the analog volume to zero, which doesn't impact the volume to the HDMI output.

7. Kal Rubinson

Kal Rubinson Senior Member

Correct but the OP had a reason why he did not want to turn off HDMI audio.

8. jlc76

jlc76 Forum Resident

Really I only need audio over HDMI when watching a DVD or Bluray, which my family does more often than I ever will. I just turn the volume down on the TV when I'm playing any non-SACD/DSD material. Problem solved. If I go in and switch the audio off permanently my wife would never figure out how to get it back on again when the kids want to watch something. I'm planning on getting an AVR, I already have the speakers mounted and the sub is put away from my last AVR which had the HDMI go out about 2 years after the warranty.

9. Is Darbee worth it?

10. jlc76

jlc76 Forum Resident

Ok, so the first day I had my 105 I was able to go to "Network" then browse to my PC and it showed all my shared drives which had my FLACs and DSD files which I could play. Now when I go there and browse to my PC it just shows three folders: Photo, Music, and Video. When I try and select one of them it asks for login credentials, I try my PCs login credentials and it says they don't work. What is the deal, this was perfect right out of the box and now it's not seeing my shares.

Actually now it's not even seeing my PC other than as a Windows Media server which when I select that it says "no media server available". I've done several google searches on this but nothing is really addressing the problem I'm having.

11. HiFi Guy 008

HiFi Guy 008 Forum Resident

Same problem here. Although it NEVER worked for me. I went to the router's website, created a password, and still no go. I called Oppo and he said try connecting with a network cable instead of WiFi. Haven't tried that yet, but it might work for you.

stereoptic likes this.
  12. jlc76

jlc76 Forum Resident

Network cable isn't an option as my router is in another room. It sucks because it was working and I was amazed that it worked without any setup. I guess at some point either from a PC reboot or Oppo reboot that ability went away. It's not a total bummer as I play everything through my squeezebox touch but it would have been nice for my DSD files. Since I don't have many DSD albums yet they'll all fit on a USB drive so I can just do that.

13. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

Not sure, but there's a lot of discussion on the AVSForum Oppo 105 thread about interference between Windows Live Essentials and SMB. A possibility?

14. PROG U.K.

PROG U.K. Audiophile-Anglophile

I tried re-entering my WiFi info after powering down and up and this seemed to work.

15. Gardo

Gardo Audio Epistemologist

Loving my Oppo BDP-105D, especially after the break-in period (I'd estimate 50 hours). I thought I'd mention another consistent experience: engaging Pure Audio mode, which turns off the video circuitry, makes a distinct and significant difference in the sound. Everything gets bigger, deeper, clearer, and more textured. It's an improvement that takes the sound from A to A+ in my system. I'm surprised it's so easily audible and such an improvement, but that's what I'm hearing. If you haven't tried this, give it a shot and report back.

stereoptic and Simon A like this.
  16. Sigma6

Sigma6 Forum Resident

Something I worked out today with the BDP-105, not sure if it's common knowledge however if you want to down mix a 5.1 SACD to stereo you must first select SACD output as PCM otherwise the player won't perform the down mix.

17. paulisdead

paulisdead fast and bulbous

I have mine connected to a Synology NAS. It only plays the 5.1 FLAC in stereo and shows both stereo and 5.1 FLAC files as being WAV. It doesn't doesn't shoe embedded artwork.

Any ideas?

18. Claude

Claude Senior Member

This probably has to do with the UPnP/DLNA server on the Synology. A settings issue or a format limitation.

Can you your run a SMB server on the Synology, so that the Oppo can play the files from a network share?

19. paulisdead

You mean Windows Media Player on my PC?

20. paulisdead

I'm a also having issues reading my USB drives. It doesn't seem to recognize them

21. Claude

Claude Senior Member

No, this is between the Oppo (client) and the Synology (server) only. There are two methods of playing files over the network with the Oppo, through DLNA/UPnP or network share access (SMB). So if one does not work in certain situations, it can be worth trying the other, if the server allows it.

22. paulisdead

Yep, if SMB is the network icon then it work for playing 5.1 and now it says FLAC instead of WAV. However still no artwork on FLAC, mp4 and most mp3 files. And still having USB drive grief.

23. PROG U.K.

PROG U.K. Audiophile-Anglophile

I have used this setting and there is something going on here. Is there a way to have this be a default setting?

24. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

I'm curious as to why you would do that. All SACDs are supposed to include a hi-rez stereo track. I know of a few that do not (primarily some mid-priced SACDs that DG released in Europe).

25. marcb

marcb Senior Member

I'm not the original poster, but it's not uncommon for the 5.1 mix to be less of a victim of the loudness wars than the stereo mix on DVD-A's and SACDs (in some cases the differences can be significant) -- and thus the 5.1 downmix can, in some ways, be more pleasing than the dedicated stereo mix.

soundQman and tmtomh like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.