OPPO BDP-103 and BDP-105 Networking Universal 3D Blu-ray Players (part3)

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by MilesSmiles, Sep 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Coricama

Coricama Classic Rocker

Anyone had problems installing the USB driver from the OPPO web page? The set up file just won't open on my laptop running Windows 8.1. I get this error message, "The API-Version . of the DI support DLL is not supported by the script." I downloaded JRiver and the DSD version of Cosmos Factory in hopes of playing it from my laptop to the BDP-105 USB port. It works with a thumb drive, but without the USB driver I cant play directly from my computer the USB input on the back of the OPPO.

2. roboss38

roboss38 Forum Resident

The 105 won't play DSD files via the rear asynch USB, but the 105D will. Put the files on a flash drive and plug it into the front USB port. I recommend the Oppo Media Control app for Apple or Android as well.

Coricama and HAmmer like this.
  3. cordobaman

cordobaman Rich Corinthian Leather

Does it play DSD via ethernet attached to a media center or NAS?

4. Coricama

Coricama Classic Rocker

Thanks, but I can't play any other format either. I can't get the two to recognize each other without that driver installed.

5. Kal Rubinson

Kal Rubinson Senior Member

Yes.

6. Linger63

Linger63 Forum Resident

OMG..........Kal Rubinson :cool: :faint:

7. James_S888

James_S888 Forum Resident

can someone tell me how to connect my iPad to the oppo and get the ipad app to work. I've been trying and I cant get the ipad to see the oppo.

8. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Is your player connected to your home network/internet?

9. James_S888

ye

yes

10. James_S888

home network. by ethernet cable
    I dont use WLAN

11. Ozric

Ozric Senior Member

With out wireless there is no way for the iPad to see anything.

12. Gardo

Gardo Audio Epistemologist

I was always a little "eh" about such things--the differences seemed marginal at best, or even imaginary--until I got my new system and I put the BDP 105 in. I hear a significant difference with my current setup, so much so that I always put the player into "Pure Audio" mode when I'm listening to music. What I hear is a deeper soundstage, more space between all the instruments, more textures and timbres. These things are hard to describe, of course, but the effect is there and I hear it every time. If I forget to turn on "Pure Audio," I'll typically get about 10 minutes into the recording and say "guess it's a bad day for the system or for my ears" and then suddenly remember that I haven't turned on "Pure Audio." As soon as I do, the sound is much more involving and beautiful. A clear 20% jump, depending on the recording. My guess is that I finally have speakers that are resolving enough to let me hear such things.

I turned "Pure Audio" on for a guest once but didn't tell him what I'd done until afterward. He said he had noticed immediately that everything had gotten "bigger." Power of suggestion? Maybe, but I've experienced this consistently enough now to believe that I'm really hearing something--and it sounds very nice indeed.

As always, YMMV!

stereoptic likes this.
  13. James_S888

Is that true even if there is no screen or anything connected to the Oppo? No HDMI cables leading out, nothing.
    I.e., the oppo is being used as a pure CD / SACD player?

14. Gardo

Gardo Audio Epistemologist

I don't know. I've got several HDMI cables going in and out, and a HDD connected to a USB port.

I don't think one would hear any difference unless one was using the analog outs, however. That's what I'm using. Otherwise, you're not hearing the internal DAC.

15. BSC

BSC Forum Resident

Totally incorrect the 105 will play DSD files as well o
    Of course-why wouldn't you be able to?

Some strange questions from you my friend-all the info you request seems obvious if you have the player or if you have access to search the internet.........

16. mfidelity

mfidelity Senior Member

Decided to upgrade to the 105 from a 103. It arrived yesterday. Opened the beautiful packaging, hooked it up. Felt like a kid on Christmas Day. Then major disappointment. It won't read any disc - tried SACD, DVD-A, CD, CD-R, DVD-R, Blu-ray etc... Left it on all day in case it was condensation on the lens but still nothing. It's not the end of the world (but did put a slight damper on my day) since these things can happen and a replacement is already on the way.

Is there something obvious I may have missed setting it up?

17. tmtomh

tmtomh Forum Resident

Where are you getting that information? Oppo's specs pages for the 105 and 105D show DSD capability for the 105D, but they don't mention that for the 105.

18. wolfram

wolfram Slave to the rhythm

It think it came with one of the updates. I have the 105 and it definitely plays DSD files from a USB drive. Don't know about the USB DAC, wouldn't really know what to play it with. Though if any player could do it, it propably will be Foobar.

tmtomh likes this.
  19. Claude

Claude Senior Member

I'm not an expert on either player, but I sense a confusion here between DSD file playback and DSD input in a DAC. Both use the USB input, but it's a different functionality.

tmtomh likes this.
  20. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

I know the plain Oppo 105 can play DSD files but I did not think it could play them through the asynchronous USB port.

21. wolfram

Absolutely. Playing DSD files from a USB drive is pretty simple, just plug and play. But for using the USB DAC, you would need a player software on your computer. I know Foobar plays DSD files, but are there any others? Maybe I will just try it with Foobar on my set-up, though I could only test it for the 105, of course. Or would I have to stream it to the USB DAC? I haven't been really successful with streaming so far and don't really need it anyway.

22. BSC

BSC Forum Resident

As stated the DSD functionality came in a software upgrade months ago.

23. tmtomh

tmtomh Forum Resident

Cool! So are you saying the software update allowed the 105 to play DSD files through a USB port and through the USB DAC? Or only through a USB port?

Since every digital input - the USB ports, the USB DACs, and for that matter the optical, coax and HDMI inputs - make use of the 105's DAC, it would seem to me that the real question is whether the 105's DAC has native DSD functionality. If it does, then I would imagine it would be fairly easy for Oppo to use software updates to enable the DAC to process DSD regardless of how the DSD file/signal gets into the DAC.

In other words, there's got to be a "player"/transport that selects and streams the DSD files, and then the DAC that turns the DSD stream into analogue sound. So from what I can tell, it shouldn't be an issue what the player/transport is: If the 105's DAC can handle a DSD stream when the 105 itself is the player/transport (via a USB port), then I would imagine it would be easy, or at least doable, for Oppo to enable the 105's DAC to handle a DSD stream when another player/transport presents the stream directly to the DAC (via the USB DAC, coax, or optical input).

Or am I missing something?

24. wolfram

The 105 has native DSD functionality. You can choose between pure DSD or a PCM conversion in the set up. I'm pretty sure DSD can never be send through a coax or optical connection (it's just not allowed, because of copy protection), but only through HDMI, as far as digital connections go.

25. rbbert

rbbert Forum Resident

The 105 will not play DSD files from a server connected to the rear USB port; according to Oppo (and reported here by SamS a while back) the 105 would need a totally different circuit board for the asynch rear USB input. ALso BTW, only the 105D will play 24/352.8 PCM through that input, the 105 won't.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.