OPPO BDP-103 and BDP-105 Networking Universal 3D Blu-ray Players (part3)

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by MilesSmiles, Sep 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BSC

BSC Forum Resident

When I did the upgrade I only tested through the USB I have never tried to stream a DSD file......

2. tmtomh

tmtomh Forum Resident

wolfram, thanks for this helpful info.

I've been reading up on this further, and it seems another issue is the two different ways of streaming DSD content to the Oppo's DAC. There's DSD over PCM (not converting DSD to PCM, but rather encapsulating the DSD stream in a PCM "wrapper"), and ASIO ("true native" DSD streaming with no PCM wrapper).

The good news is that apparently the 105 supports ASIO streaming via DLNA (and I believe SMB) The bad news is that apparently if you have a dedicated streamer - like the Squeezebox Touch - plugged into the Oppo's DAC, and that streamer only supports DSD over PCM (which is the case with the SB Touch), then you're out of luck.

Still, it's very cool to see that the 105 has what I would call 75% DSD streaming capability. And it seems that if one uses a dedicated streamer that supports ASIO DSD, then you can play native DSD remotely on the 105.

wolfram likes this.
  3. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

The 105D has different hardware which allows for DSD via the rear asynchronous USB input.

tmtomh likes this.
  4. BSC

BSC Forum Resident

To be clear I mean a downloaded file on a hard drive.

5. tmtomh

tmtomh Forum Resident

Yeah, that's what I gathered. When a true successor to the SB Touch comes, adding higher-speed wireless, proper USB output, and ASIO DSD streaming, that will be a glorious day! :)

6. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

The software update to the 105 allowed for USB attached storage to play back DSD.

Yes, the 105 DAC has native DSD functionality.

I think the source of your confusion lies in why the 105 and 105D are different: only the 105D allows for DSD via the asynchronous (rear) USB input. There is different hardware in the 105D which supports such functionality.

As mentioned above, coax and optical don't support DSD streams, on any hardware.

CarterB likes this.
  7. Claude

Claude Senior Member

Do you mean any Oppo player?

There is hardware that accepts DSD streams over coax S/PDIF. For example the dCS Puccini SACD player/DAC with the latest firmware.

8. tmtomh

tmtomh Forum Resident

Thanks Sam, I do understand now. My previous understanding was as follows:

(1) The 105 and 105D have the same DSD-capable DAC

(2) The 105 can play DSD files through its DAC via a USB stick or external drive connected to the USB port

(3) It therefore should be possible to enable the 105 to play DSD streams directly through its async USB DAC port, since the DAC is already DSD capable and the 105 core player software already is capable of "seeing" and playing DSD.

(4) It should be possible to accomplish this via a software/firmware update.

Now I see I was right about items 1-3, but wrong about item 4. The only way to enable this feature apparently is through hardware, which is exactly what's been done with the 105D.

Yes?

9. rbbert

rbbert Forum Resident

Not S/PDIF by definition. Coax, yes, and optical also, but I believe not in the S/PDIF protocol.

10. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

I understand that to be proprietary, and shouldn't be used as an example related to this general-type discussion.

Correct!

tmtomh likes this.
  11. James_S888

James_S888 Forum Resident

Well, I actually bought the Oppo as an SACD / CD player and never really looked at all the other stuff.
    I started getting interested in some of its other capabilites and how it handles files only a short time ago.
    I thought I could just download the Oppo Media Control App onto my iPad and I'd be off. The App doesn't work. I thought I could just plug the USD cable into the Oppo, Nope. I thought using the network wireless USB dongle on the Oppo would work - nope.

At home, I don't have a WLAN, I have a router box and ethernet cable. I also don't have a television. Since I consider television the greatest waste of time on earth. Karl Marx said once that religion was the opiate of the masses. I would say that he'd never seen a U.S. sitcom :)
    Anyway, I don't have a screen at home. Not even a computer screen.
    At some point I think I'll bring my laptop and a screen home from the office and plug them in and set it up, but at the moment it would just be nice if the iPad app would work.

12. Claude

Claude Senior Member

The Oppo is a Blu-ray player first, that's why it is assumed that a screen is present for certain functions.

tmtomh likes this.
  13. BSC

BSC Forum Resident

When you say the app doesn't work-what do you mean-it doesn't install correctly? I have had no issues with the wireless dongle or the app but I would say at first I found the Oppo a bit clunky in terms of the interface.

Simply put there are solutions to problems especially component parts or the app-there will be solutions-the information is out there but you've gave no explanation of what you've tried etc.

There are the most comprehensive information sites for the Oppo and the AVS forums etc.....it seems to strange to me you seem to have come here for a moan.......the Oppo is a fantastic music player but you can't blame them you decided to buy a Blu Ray player with no TV.

Your posts are pretty strange to be honest.

14. Claude

Claude Senior Member

James says he has no WLAN. Maybe he wanted the Oppo and the iPad to communicate directly which each other (WLAN ad-hoc mode), like computers and smartphones can.

But that won't work. The Oppo needs a "standard" WLAN installation with a router (infrastructure mode). That's the case of nearly all entertainment devices with WLAN function.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2014
  15. BSC

BSC Forum Resident

Re-reading your post it makes less sense-of course the dongle won't work you don't have wireless and I suspect this is why the app doesn't work either although that might use bluetooth I'd need to check.

If you get a long enough cable you can use ethernet but again it seems you've bought a great machine that is inhibited either by your lack of research or lack of facilities.

16. rbbert

rbbert Forum Resident

17. Aristotalloss

Aristotalloss Forum Resident

There is an HD-app and a"regular" Oppo MC app available. The first did not work on my iPad mini, the second is now installed and works beautifully.

19. James_S888

That's exactly what I tried. And it didn't work...

20. James_S888

That's helpful, I'll go have a look

21. If you don't have a WLAN, nothing will work.

22. tmtomh

tmtomh Forum Resident

Yes, that's my understanding as well. James - the Oppo communicates through a wireless network, not directly with an iPad/iPhone/iPod. If you have no wireless network (WLAN) in your home, then you won't be able to use either of the Oppo apps.

One question, though: You have an iPad, yes? Is it a wi-fi only iPad, or an iPad that also has cellular service (which you would pay for on a monthly contract)? In other words, when you are using your iPad at home and you connect to the internet, do you do it through wi-fi (Airport) or cellular?

I ask because you say you have ethernet and a router, and I'm wondering if your router has wireless capability - there are wired-only routers, but almost all routers today include wireless.

23. Jack Flannery

Jack Flannery Forum Resident

Get it working wired first. The app will work as long as the Oppo is on a network.

24. The Oppo is not the problem. How is the iPad supposed to enter the network? For that, he needs WLAN.

25. AztecChimera

AztecChimera Forum Resident

Port-forwarding through the internet router would work if the iPad has 3G/4G/LTE and his router doesn't have wireless.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.