OPPO BDP-103 and BDP-105 Networking Universal 3D Blu-ray Players (part3)

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by MilesSmiles, Sep 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Question:

Would it be possible to hook up a USB turntable--or a phono preamp with a USB output--to the USB DAC input on the back of a BDP-105 or 105D? At first glance, it seems that it should work, but because it is an asynchronous USB connection, maybe not.

2. HiFi Guy 008

HiFi Guy 008 Forum Resident

I don't see why not. Oppo uses asynchronous USB, no?

3. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

The USB turntable would have to offer asynchronous mode transfer, which I don't think they do.

tmtomh likes this.
  4. Claude

Claude Senior Member

There is a computer missing. The two USB devices can't communicate with each other. Both the Oppo (as a DAC) and the USB turntable are external USB audio devices that must be adressed by a computer.

tmtomh likes this.
  5. Fatman

Fatman Senior Member

too bad the 105 doesn't include a phono stage. :D

tmtomh likes this.
  6. Jerry Horne

Jerry Horne WYWH (1975-2025)

*Edit* Nevermind, gapless seems to be working now.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2014
  7. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

Been noticing the last few movies and cds that I've hit the reverse button on my 103 it will freeze. Nothing works except to shut it off.

8. cdash99

cdash99 Senior Member

Resurrecting this question, but geared to people who have used the Darbee version for a while. What I've been able to pick up on is that it is a great help for HDMI feeds of Blu Ray discs but detracts from traditional DVD's (i.e. it highlights all the format's shortcomings and should be deactivated for such viewing).

Is this true and, on a separate item, does the Darbee enhance or detract from Netflix viewing?

9. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

I actually used Darbee last night for a complete DVD. Netflix somehow sent me the DVD version of "Enemy", instead of BD. I engaged the Hi-Def Darbee mode at 40%. After a few split screen and swipe demos, it was obvious that it enhanced the detail, took some softness out of the image, yet otherwise left it unharmed. I saw no ringing effects, etc. It's not true HD of course, but fun to play with.

I don't use it very often with Netflix streaming, but results would be similar, assuming you have a good strong download speed to prop up the image.

Darbee is like many other A/V enhancements, you just gotta try it out and see what you think. You ultimately have 300 possible Darbee settings (Gaming, Hi-Def, Full Pop each 1-100%) to play with. I imagine you can find one that makes for a pleasing effect.

10. rbbert

rbbert Forum Resident

Apologies if this has already been asked and answered, but can the Oppo 105 access and use as a wireless network file server a UPNP device like the Lumin L1? Thanks!

11. CarterB

CarterB Well-Known Member

Seems like the 103/105 were announced in September 2012--two years ago. We should be getting close to a model refresh. What features would you like to see to get you to upgrade?

Personally, not sure if I can think of a must have to upgrade my 103 with my HA-1 , but perhaps for two input HDMI in the back with a dedicated button to switch. A pipe dream would be a dedicated volume knob.

Anyone else want to share their wish list?

12. gd0

gd0 Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies

A nicer-looking face on the 5-series.

I can't imagine what tech could be added to these things, other than streaming refinements.

13. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

I can only say I'm just as happy as I was 2 years ago, when I got my notification, that my name had come up on the waiting list. The 103 is the best piece of hardware I ever invested in.

14. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member

Optional wood side panels and silver finish. No....really.

15. tmtomh

tmtomh Forum Resident

I have a 105, and I love it. Here's what I would like to see:

(1) The 105D's extra circuitry allowing for native DSD streaming to the DAC
    (2) Built-in wireless instead of that stupid dongle
    (3) Firmware updates to enable it to stream Apple Lossless files gaplessly via DLNA
    (4) Airplay support (yes I know, it's limited to 16/44.1 resolution, but it would still be killer to be able to directly stream from iTunes right into the DAC)

If I had a 103, I would of course want a USB input for the built-in DAC, and maybe an upgrade to the DAC. But of course that would just mean I'd want the 103 to become the 105.

So I think Oppo's in a bit of a tough spot: It's hard to imagine how they could meaningfully upgrade the 103 without cannibalizing sales of the 105. And it's hard to imagine how they could upgrade the 105 without discontinuing the 105D.

Aside from making some minor tweaks, I don't think they'll do anything for a little while - unless their sales start to decline. In that case, I think their only option would be to re-jigger the price points - lower the 103 by $100, perhaps lower the 105 by $200 to reach the attractive/magic $999 mark, and bring the 103D and 105D down by $100 each, to match the former prices of the 103 and 105.

stereoptic likes this.
  16. MikeJedi

MikeJedi Forum Resident

I have a 105D and love it.. upgraded from my beloved bdp-83.. I don't see much on the horizon.. i think it will happen... but not anytime soon.. maybe when there is a 4K Blu-Ray format? 3 years or more down the road?

17. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Maybe add a few more HDMI inputs and Dirac room correction then I could replace my Denon 4311 :).

Bill

HAmmer likes this.
  18. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

Personal wish list - integrate with the Logitech Media Server (so that it is seen as a quasi Squeezebox)

19. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Below is a post from the 103 and 105 owners threads over at AVS regarding the volume control on the 103.

"I have a question regarding the analog volume control on the 103. I was going to try using the 103 as a preamp when playing SACDs. It would just be a quick unscientific comparison between the 103 as a preamp and my Parasound 2100 preamp. But I wanted to make sure I had the volume level on the 103 set at a low enough level so that my speakers or amp wouldn't be damaged.

So I tried lowering the volume level and it did not make any difference in the volume level till I reached "0" and the sound output was muted. This is when using the analog outputs (FL and RL of the 103 to the 2100. I didn't quite understand why the volume was not decreased but then I thought it was because I was using DSD for SACD output. When I swapped the setting to PCM the volume level decreased when I lowered the volume from 100 down.

Is it true due to the way the volume control is setup with the 103 in that when DSD is selected that the volume control is bypassed? If so does the 105 function the same? If it does it seems odd that if one uses the 103 or 105 as a preamp that one could not use the DSD setting. But maybe the 105's volume level is configured differently. Any thoughts on this would be appreciated [​IMG]."

Here is a reply I received from fellow AVS member gsr that answered my question in detail.

"Correct, the volume control on the 103 will only function for DSD when you tell the player to convert it to PCM (as you found). The 105's volume control will adjust the volume either way. The volume control is in the DAC, the DAC in the 103 can't perform volume control on DSD."

I thought I would post this in this thread just in case someone else encountered this issue with the 103 when trying to use it as a preamp and play SACDs in DSD. So I won't be using the 103 as a preamp as I like to play stereo SACDs in DSD. That only means I'll just have to upgrade to the 105 ;).

Bill

stereoptic likes this.
  20. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

SamS likes this.
  21. lapepalz

lapepalz Forum Resident

Hello,

I would like to buy Oppo BDP-105 D I will use it to listen Blu Ray Audio, and SHM-CD Platinum. Of Course, I will watch some Blu-Ray too.
    Is this product so good to listen audio blu ray?

Thanks,
    Chris

22. wolfram

wolfram Slave to the rhythm

I would say it's excellent for listening to blu ray audio.

23. wolfram

Does anyone else use the Dynamic Range Control of the 105 when watching movies? I live in a flat with neighbours over, under and next to me and I like to watch movies late at night, so this option has always been important to me. I also think that some action blockbusters have ridiculously loud effects and if you still want to be able to understand the dialogue, you have to turn the volume up and down all the time. But I feel that this option doesn't make that much of a difference when using it with DTS-HD MA. I actually find it hard to hear a difference at all. It's pretty obvious with Dolby Digital, though. Anyone else have the same impression?

24. gd0

gd0 Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies

25. wolfram

Here's what is says on the Oppo site:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.