OPPO BDP-103 and BDP-105 Networking Universal 3D Blu-ray Players (part4)

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Ken_McAlinden, Dec 8, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gd0

gd0 Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies

This dump is littered with HDDs. :laugh:

You don't need much RAM to play music. 4G on the basic Mini is plenty.

And the touchscreen, crappy or not, would obviate the keyboard/mouse.

Sorta like having a pad with a for-real computer attached.

I'd consider the Surface if it was cheaper. And had more usable ports.

2. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

People have used lower specced computers than a Mac Mini. Those little Atom things you got pre-tablet with 1gb RAM and a 250gb hard drive worked for some. The entry level Mac Mini would be absolutely fine. Can be controlled with an iPad, iPhone or iPod Touch too.

3. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

A Mac Mini does not come with a keyboard or mouse.

4. Metralla

All audiophiles I know of who have implemented the Mac Mini as an audio file server have added extra RAM. 8GB seems to be the most common.

I myself replaced the internal drive with an SSD and (of course) added an external drive for the files. Setting up a Mac Mini as an audio file does not REQUIRE these items, but it is common.

5. Metralla

Are you speaking from experience?

Very true. I VNC into mine from a Windows machine at times so there are many options. I do not run Wireless at home.

6. Metralla

One more comment:

"We don't recommend the bottom end Late 2014 $499 Mac Mini for computer audio. That model has a slower 1.4 GHz CPU and only 4 GB RAM standard, which would need to be ordered with at least 8 GB RAM for playing high-resolution computer audio files (24 bit, 88.2 kHz or higher) - an additional expense. However, as a minimum configuration, the middle Mac Mini model is recommended as it includes a faster 2.6 GHz processor and comes standard with 8 GB RAM; well worth the $200 price difference over the bottom end model. "

http://www.channld.com/computeraudio.html

7. gd0

Hmmmm...

I'm the first one to recommend as much horsepower as possible to someone considering a new computer for any purpose. But my reading and experience suggest that playing music, even hi-res, doesn't require a great deal of power. My ancient pre-Intel G4 never balked with an outboard DAC attached.

Could be advisable for mega-huge libraries, perhaps. I probably won't exceed 50,000 individual files (lossless of course) in my lifetime.

I do respect the knowledge pool at Computer Audiophile nonetheless. Will do more homework; I don't have to create this immediately.

tmtomh likes this.
  8. Brother_Rael

A number of the guys on the HDD Audio forum used to use the Mini and used it in conjunction with the devices I mentioned. A number of Mac and the Apple forum also cover this.

Naturally, I expect anybody considering this route would do their own legwork to see if this is suitable for them, but it can be done. It was an option I've considered and may well yet go with. I do run wireless at home, successfully, and it's a serious option for me.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2015
  9. jeffsab

jeffsab Forum Resident

My ancient Core Duo iMac plays lossless and hi res fine with 1GB memory. Paranoid audiophile overkill is the only reason you'd need 8GB RAM.

Stonegarden71 likes this.
  10. Metralla

Yeah, yeah, yeah. You avoided answering the question.

11. Brother_Rael

Oh lighten up Geoff. I don't own a Mac Mini. So what? No one expects the Spanish Inquisition...

I did my homework. Something any prospective buyer needs to do. The information is openly available on how to use it without the traditional accessories.

The smart money would be buying a NOS Mini from 2012. Better model than the current one. Or getting wireless...

tmtomh likes this.
  12. Metralla

On another topic - very nice win by Andy Murray last night against a dangerous opponent.

CarterB likes this.
  13. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

I used to use an old style Mac Mini as a music server. Was a real sumbish to take that thing apart, put the SSD in it, and get it back together without the wifi/bt antennas popping out. It was a pretty low spec 2006 model, probably a core duo processor and 2GB of ram but I don't believe I ever had any performance issues with it as a music player.

The entry level mini has an i5, and I just can't believe any generation of i5 processor would have the slightest problem playing back even huge high res music files.

jeffsab likes this.
  14. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

Why do you feel that model is better?

15. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

The "future" is here ;). I ordered a refurbished 105D from Oppo today and it should arrive next Thursday. I didn't see any refurbished 105Ds on the Oppo site so I gave them a call. They had one available so I didn't waste anytime ordering it. The price for the refurbished 105Ds is $1039 so I saved $260. Can't wait for it to arrive :).

Bill

Shawn, Linger63, gd0 and 2 others like this.
  16. tmtomh

tmtomh Forum Resident

Cool! Oppo refurbs are fantastic deals IMHO. I got a refurb 105 from them for $969 and from what I can tell the only thing I gave up for my $229 savings was that it came in a different outer box.

Bill Mac likes this.
  17. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

The refurbished units are definitely excellent deals :)! I asked if there were any scratches or any blemishes on the face plate. I was told the refurbished units are as new and if there were blemishes on the face plate a new one would be installed. If anyone is looking for any refurbished Oppo gear and there isn't any listed in the "Store" tab give Oppo a call directly. The 105D has shipped and should arrive next Thursday :).

Bill

bru87tr, Linger63 and tmtomh like this.
  18. Blair G.

Blair G. Senior Member

Are these refurbs the units that people send back within the 30 days if they decide not to keep it?

19. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I would think they are. From the Oppo site, "Refurbished players are fully tested, inspected, and in like-new condition. Warranty on the refurbished unit is the same (2-year labor, 2-year parts) as new units."

Bill

20. Metralla

I don't know about the 2012 model. There are some comments on line by Steve Nugent (Emperical Audio) that the 2009 model has some advantages mainly because the power supply was not integrated and could be replaced

http://www.empiricalaudio.com/about-empirical-audio/

but I don't believe that is very current. The general consensus is that a linear power supply like a Hynes is a worthwhile improvement.

21. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

I believe so in most cases.

22. gd0

In most cases, probably. But not definitive. When you buy any kind of CE refurb, no one ever seems to be in a position to declare the exact provenance of an item. I have to think at least a few problematic units are returned, serviced, tested and put back in the pipeline. Always look for a favorable warranty. Oppo has that.

That's how I got my 103, by phoning. Mine arrived in immaculate shape, and does everything right.

23. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

I'd love a reason to buy another Oppo product. I got their first product offering, a great progressive scan DVD player, and later the BDP-93 that I've since put the NuForce board in. Both I've picked up in person from their HQ in Mountain View, which makes it much more fun.

tmtomh likes this.
  24. Metralla

Wow that is nearby. I did not know that you could pick up in person.

25. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

Yep, been an option since the beginning. Kind of cool in that regard. You walk into a little lobby that has a modest demo system set up in it, kind of ring a doorbell, and I guess the nearest employee just asks you what you're there for and goes to get it for you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.