OPPO BDP-103 and BDP-105 Networking Universal 3D Blu-ray Players (part4)

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Ken_McAlinden, Dec 8, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Erik Tracy

Erik Tracy Meet me at the Green Dragon for an ale

Yesterday I turned on my Oppo 83 and got the dreaded problem with the tray not opening.

I emailed Oppo Customer Service - got a reply of getting my RMA. IF the repair is "easy" -no charge. IF the repair requires any "mechanical components" I will have to pay a $79 out of warranty charge (got the player in 2009).

So, I'm crossing my fingers the repair will be 'easy'.

To date - been very happy w/ the Oppo and the Customer Service.

2. bru87tr

bru87tr 80’s rule

The only problem I see and I had (and I am very comfortable around receiver settings) is you have to have a output to see your receiver settings if using split HDMI. I did notice a difference in picture quality using HDMI 1 for video only (straight to TV) and HDMI 2 for audio to bluray input on receiver (and yes a HDMI output from receiver to TV). I have an older TV and only have two HDMI inputs.

I did try dual display hdmi both going to receiver using one for bluray and one for SACD/CD. This worked well as when on CD input on receiver, I can switch receiver setting from PCM over HDMI to analog. Yes, this has to be done on your receiver and you need a display to see it. So I liked this and on CD input on my receiver I can play DSD, PCM or analog.

Then I tried split cause it says you get best picture quality with HDMI 1 from oppo straight to TV (no audio) and using HDMI 2 for audio on receiver. As I mentioned I preferred this as the picture did look better straight from oppo then going through receiver and dual display on oppo.

So I had to move my analog outs from CD on my receiver to my bluray input analogs on my receiver. It works well as I can now have everything on one input on the receivers HDMI and analog, but I do already see myself forgetting I am on input one on my receiver and can't see my receiver menu and have to switch to input 2 on my TV to correct that.

Still haven't decided which way is more convenient. I think dual display HDMI out of the oppo to my receiver was easier, but video looked better with a dedicated HDMI 1 from the oppo straight to TV. Catch 22 to me, so will have to see if forgetting what input I am on the TV becomes a nuisance.

I noticed I had to force 1080p/24 on the oppo for my TV for blurays that support it (very nice) as my TV didn't automatically detect it.

You should have no problems the way your running it though as you are running one output from the oppo. I just wanted to post my findings in case you change that or someone runs into the same issue I had.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2015
    Shawn likes this.
  3. bru87tr

bru87tr 80’s rule

Maybe you will be lucky since they know it is an issue. Even if not an easy fix, I would pay that small amount to get it replaced.

4. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

Under $100 if you include shipping costs seems fair.

bru87tr likes this.
  5. tmtomh

tmtomh Forum Resident

My understanding is that the 105 will not stream DSD files, but it will play them if they are on a USB key or hard drive plugged into the 105's USB port. The 105D, however, also will stream DSD files.

wolfram and bru87tr like this.
  6. bru87tr

bru87tr 80’s rule

That's good to know as I couldn't find anything that said it played DSD files lover USB. Unless I just missed it.

7. The 105 also streams DSD files. Mine are on a NAS and I stream them wirelessly to the 105.

8. Linger63

Linger63 Forum Resident

Hi,

Just wondering why you have your AVR connected to your monitor AT ALL??
    Do you have a few sources you like to run through it and/or use it's on board video processing to improve them or just not enough HDMI inputs on your display?
    If so that's fine.......... but if not then once you have your gear set up correctly there's no real reason to need to display the AVR's menu on your monitor.
    The AVR's menu is on the front display of the AVR anyway.

If you change stuff and need to run room correction again and/or you only have a couple of HDMI inputs on your display.......or just want to see the AVR menu nice and big......you can always hook up your AVR using a different video input like composite/component/s-video.... etc.

Just remember that the OPPO's HDMI output 1 uses the higher quality QDEO video processing and if you want SACD through HDMI you must use the OPPO's HDMI output 2.

I just use HDMI 1 from OPPO straight to display and HDMI 2 from OPPO straight to Pre/Pro.
    This ENSURES best pic and SACD capability.
    Whenever I wish to see the Pre/Pro menu on my display (only for when I run Audyssey) I simply unplug my lead from HDMI output 1 of the OPPO and plug it in to the HDMI monitor out of the Pre/Pro......very easy

Last edited: Feb 8, 2015
  9. Kal Rubinson

Kal Rubinson Senior Member

Let's be more precise. The 105 will not stream DSD via the USB "B" DAC connector on the rear. However, I would not call this streaming anyway since it is really just a DAC input as any discrete DAC device.
    The 105 will actually stream DSD via its ethernet input from any files on your network as well as play them from a directly connected USB drive connected to one of the "A" inputs, front or back.

Metralla, tmtomh and bru87tr like this.
  10. bru87tr

bru87tr 80’s rule

My AVR has no video processing, just pass through and yes not enough HDMI ports. The most important device is the oppo which is going straight to the TV.

The AVR menu is not easy to figure out just by the display. Very little info and the AVR menu is quite involved. Its not unlike the AVR's of old.

Another monitor is not something I want to add. I have enough stuff already and really like it as simplistic as possible. I had my setup like that for years and it was too much stuff. The way I have it now works as the audio input to the AVR from the oppo also provides video, so perfect for when I am listening to SACDs and CDs. I actually like the way it is now, just have to remember to switch input on TV as easy to forget as oppo to AVR for audio provides video too. So easy to forget. Just something to get use to.

I calibrate my system with a SPL meter, so never need to change that once done. Just need extra hdmi ports as my old LG just does not provide enough.

11. Linger63

Linger63 Forum Resident

Cool...........sounds like you have everything sorted then.:agree:
    Maybe you could rename your AVR inputs to help??

bru87tr likes this.
  12. tmtomh

tmtomh Forum Resident

Thanks for the clarification - much appreciated.

So is the essential difference with the 105 this: It will play DSD files when it, the 105 itself, is controlling the playback and simply retrieving/streaming the files from either a DLNA server via ethernet or a USB storage device - BUT, it won't play DSD files when something else is controlling playback (like a computer or a Squeezebox or other streamer) and trying to just use the Oppo's built-in DAC?

In other words, the limitation is not in the 105's DAC, but rather in the circuitry that passes the DSD signal to the DAC?

13. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

You got it.

tmtomh likes this.
  14. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I have my 105D setup and I'm enjoying it very much :)! I have one question for 105 owners regarding an intermittent noise from the player. The noise almost sounds like a fan or a hard drive running. I know the 105/105D doesn't have a fan so I'm wondering what the noise is. Anyone else hear this noise? I'll be honest in that I must have bat hearing as I hear this noise and the fan noise of the 95 when others don't. Any thoughts? I sent Oppo an email asking them what the noise could possibly be.

Bill

15. PROG U.K.

PROG U.K. Audiophile-Anglophile

Is it with all discs you are having this issue?

16. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

The odd thing is the noise is present when I eject the disc from the 105D. When there is a disc in the player and it's playing there is minimal if barely audible drive noise.

Bill

17. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

Send it back mate. Refurbished machine making funny noise? Box it, post it. Ask for another.

PROG U.K. likes this.
  18. Blair G.

Blair G. Senior Member

I'm thinking the same thing.
    Refurb or not, it shouldn't be making funny noises

19. bru87tr

bru87tr 80’s rule

Bummer Bill!

I may have a problem with mine but not sure. When I turn on my Oppo my TV blips and doesn't detect a signal. If I switch from input 1 to input 2, I get a signal. Then back to input 1 and I get a signal. Strange!

I don't recall having this problem dual display mode. I have to check again today to be sure. Other than that no display output issues.

20. tmtomh

tmtomh Forum Resident

I don't think the 105 has a hard drive or a fan in it. My 105 is an Oppo refurb and the only noises I hear are the usual ones: drawer opening and closing; initial spin up of CDs; and the little relay click upon power-on and power-off. Otherwise it's pretty silent.

EDIT: @bru87tr - Believe it or not I've never had my 105 hooked up to a proper monitor. I only have it connected to a little 7" LCD I had lying around - and because the LCD is old and lacks HDMI, I actually have it hooked up via the composite video "diagnostic" port.

I guess before the warranty is up I'd better hook it up to a proper HDMI source to make sure I have no video problems! :eek:

bru87tr likes this.
  21. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Thanks everyone for your thoughts :). I've looked into the noise issue further and below is a post from over at AVS.

The noise is definitely coming for the 105D and not the speakers. I found part of the noise was coming from two Western Digital My Passport hard drives connected to the 105D. I disconnected both of them and the noise stopped with a disc playing. The funny thing is I had both hard drives connected to my 103 and never heard any noise at all.

I stopped the disc, ejected it and then closed the tray. I get an audible whine from the player with tray close and no disc in the tray. I open the tray to put a disc in and the whine stops. Very odd indeed.

I just put my ear to the 105D and the whine noise is much more pronounced coming from the left side (looking at the player) vents. When I listen through the right side vents the noise is much less. I have a feeling there is an issue with the player. It was a refurbished unit if that could possibly be part of the problem.

The plot thickens [​IMG]! I just tried the Pure mode and the whine goes away and the player is dead silent. Come out of Pure mode and the noise is back.

Update:
    I just tried what I did above and the noise is gone. Very strange! I will say the 105D definitely sounds excellent. Listening to a number of two channel SACDs that I'm very familiar I feel the analog SQ is a step above the 103. But this is without doing a direct comparison between the 105D and the 103. So it could be that new player smell messing with my brain and ears ;).

Bill

Last edited: Feb 9, 2015
  22. bru87tr

bru87tr 80’s rule

That will be a pain if you have to return it. On the upside at least you know Oppo will take care of you unlike Sony. :)

So I checked my player out again, maybe my issue isn't an issue and normal. Since on split HDMI 1 is primary display and HDMI 2 is for audio (although it will still pass video). If I turn on the display and make sure it is on HDMI 1, turn on the oppo and it comes up fine. When I turn on the display and make sure it is on HDMI 2, then the receiver and select its input (HDMI 2 from Oppo) and turn on the Oppo the screen just blips with no video unless I select HDMI 1 (video shows) then back to HDMI 2, video comes on from Oppo. This is when Oppo is set to split.

No problems at all when set to dual display.

If anyone can confirm this is normal I would appreciate. I think maybe since it is on split, HDMI 1 on the Oppo is primary display. I just want to be sure it is not a problem.

23. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

What is "Pure Mode" ?

24. bru87tr

bru87tr 80’s rule

It shuts off the video/display on the Oppo when playing audio.

25. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Geoff,

Below is from page 41 off the 105D manual.

"You can enjoy higher quality audio by turning off the video processing and output. The Pure Audio mode reduces any potential interference between the video and audio signals."

Bill

bru87tr likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.