OPPO BDP-103 and BDP-105 Networking Universal 3D Blu-ray Players (part4)

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Ken_McAlinden, Dec 8, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

Not looking to get into a dick waving thing about the players Bill. I think both upscale to 4k then yes? It was the ambiguity in the earlier comment that led to my post not "mine's better than yours".

2. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I didn't take it that way at all. But you have to admit you stated with certainty that the CA 752BD had a feature that the Oppo players did not. Which was an incorrect statement. So in essence you were in a way saying the CA 752BD was a better player due to an additional feature ;). Yes both players up-scale to 4k as stated in both the Oppo and the CA 752BD product pages.

Bill

Last edited: Mar 5, 2015
  3. Linger63

Linger63 Forum Resident

The funny, yet sad, thing is that my friend can currently watch upscaled 4K from his OPPO 105 on his First Gen 4K display .........but..........

When REAL 4K content comes out he will STILL need a new player........ AND a new display............ to watch it!!!!!!!!!!!

Even sadder.......my 2K Pioneer KRP 500M plasma looks better anyway!!!

Saddest of all.........plasmas are gone!!!!

Last edited: Mar 5, 2015
  4. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

Actually that wasn't what I was saying at all. Had it been the case that the 105 didn't cater for 4k, then my post wasn't as you interpret whatsoever. Why would it be?? I must remember I forget the sometime fragility of some Oppo owners...

Ed Selley at Cambridge himself stated that the company opted for a different approach with their development on the Mediatek platform.

My statement was "different strokes", which is the case even with the same approach to 4k. "Better" is a wholly subjective thing and what's better for one person might not even make it onto another's radar as even being relevant.

5. Could we please continue without the tiresome ad hominems about the qualities of OPPO or Cambridge owners? I visit this thread to read about the OPPO players.

Gardo, CrimsonPiper, wolfram and 6 others like this.
  6. Ozric

Ozric Senior Member

I thought at one point I read that the ability to auto resume from the last point viewed was a limitation of the Blu-Ray format itself and not so much the player, this was back when Blu-Ray was a relitevly new format. Maybe this has been compensated for in some players firmware or maybe it only works on a disc by disc basis depending on how the disc was authored.

7. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

That's true that some Blu-Rays especially early on did not have the ability to have a resume point. I'm not sure if all Blu-Rays now have the ability to resume or if it's specific releases.

Just a little update from earlier today on the Auto Resume saga :). So now it appears that the Auto Resume function on the 103 is working as intended :).

I just went into the setup menu of the 103 and both Auto Play and Auto Resume were off [​IMG]. But the 103 started playing when I initially powered it up this morning with both of those auto features disabled. Very strange. So I went back into the setup menu and enabled Auto Resume and now it is working properly. I powered the 103 off and on several times and the disc did not start playing till I hit playback. Very strange indeed!

Bill

8. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

Good point.

9. cdash99

cdash99 Senior Member

Running a 103D on the last generation of Samsung plasmas...very satisfied.

Linger63 likes this.
  10. LEONPROFF

LEONPROFF Forum Resident

Hard drive help? Is it better with a 105 to use a hard drive that plugs into the wall or does a portable powered by the USB work just as well?
    I have spent a couple hours going through this thread and could not find the information. Thank you.

11. Linger63

Linger63 Forum Resident

O/T

And.........just like me.......you are screwed when it's upgrade time!!!!!!!!

12. MikeJedi

MikeJedi Forum Resident

The 103d and 105D are excellent pieces and should last awhile .. I don't see a need to upgrade to 4k ... The plasmas are still the best IMO. I love my panny plasma and 105D ... I think a lot if us get too much upgradeitus sometimes !!

tmtomh, Linger63, bru87tr and 2 others like this.
  13. MikeJedi

MikeJedi Forum Resident

I really haven't seen a better picture than when I am watching Star Trek Into Darkness on my system for example, I mean I have seen 4k panels and theytto don't currently have that level of detail IMO , now when the content is here like full scale UHD BD with the higher bit rate video And the standard is set for full OLED UHD then we will see a difference but that probably won't fully happen until later in this decade ,until then I'm good lol!

Linger63 and bru87tr like this.
  14. Claude

Claude Senior Member

Both will work fine. Are you worried that a USB-powered hard drive will somehow cause a lower performance?

With my Oppo 93, I use an Western Digital Essentials 500GB and a Toshiba 500GB laptop hard drive built into a Sharkoon portable case, and never had a problem with them. I use the back USB plug with a cable extension.

15. tmtomh

tmtomh Forum Resident

The only issue with portable hard drives is whether or not the Oppo's USB ports provide enough power to drive them. @Claude says his works fine, and I can confirm it from my own experience.

So given that it can power portable USB drives just fine, I'd say go with a portable. They tend to be quieter than the full-size ones, and the AC adapter is such a PIA. The portables are true plug and play, combining the 99% of the convenience of a USB key with the storage capacity of a hard drive.

If you really want to get slick and you don't need a gigantic drive, 256GB SSDs have gotten really affordable. They're totally silent and super-fast.

But really, any old portable USB 2 or 3 drive will do.

16. cdash99

cdash99 Senior Member

Not worried about it. My prior set - Sony SXRD lasted nearly 8 years. I run them until they drop. My upgradeitis applies more to audio than video.

17. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Well my 103 is back to starting playback and resuming when powered up without hitting play :confused:. I really don't get this and wonder if there is an issue with the latest FW.

Bill

18. Ivand

Ivand Forum Resident

You shoudn't deny the possibility that your house may be haunted :yikes::yikes:

Brother_Rael likes this.
  19. rbbert

rbbert Forum Resident

I have an Oppo 105 and a Panasonic ST50 plasma. Unfortunately isn't close to (for example) a 2015 Sony 4k display with native 4k (Sony demo) content; just not even close. So when true 4k and UHD 4k are more widespread and affordable there will be some significant pressure to upgrade.

20. HiFi Guy 008

HiFi Guy 008 Forum Resident

When my 105 starts up it resumes playing whatever audio disc is in the player.
    The feature is in the setup menu.
    You can turn it off.
    I suspect your 103 is the same.

tmtomh likes this.
  21. tmtomh

tmtomh Forum Resident

It hadn't occurred to me that the auto-resume feature could be turned off - I figured, "Oh well, this thing is supposed to be primarily a Blu-Ray/DVD player so it makes sense." I'm so glad you folks mentioned it, because since I use my Oppo solely for audio right now, auto-resume was a huge PIA. Much happier now that I disabled it.

22. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I've had the 103 for about two years and in that time have always had the Auto Resume feature on. In earlier firmware versions when the 103 was powered up it did not Auto Resume till the play button was pushed. Now when powered up the 103 automatically Auto Resumes without pushing the play button. I realize the Auto Resume feature is in the setup menu and it can be disabled.

Bill

mikeyt likes this.
  23. HiFi Guy 008

HiFi Guy 008 Forum Resident

Yeah, it's actually pretty cool if you want to pick up where you left off, but it's a pain if you turn the player on and want to play another disc. You have to wait, and wait, and wait for it to start playing before you can stop and eject.

24. MikeJedi

MikeJedi Forum Resident

Hey guys,

Have a bunch of extra Audioquest and Monster RCA's laying around.. really enjoy the two-channel stereo SABRE DAC's jacks out of the 105D, i am now thinking about hooking up the 7.1(OR IN MY CASE 6.1) channel outs of the 105D to my multi-channel inputs on my pre/pro.. what do i set the crossover freq etc to for best sound? I have Def Tech 7002, CLR2500 center and trinity subwoofer and also Infinity Entra .5 rears and rear center.. this is so i can listen to the high res multi channel tracks using the SABRE DAC's in the Oppo from my Multi channel DVD-A's and SACD's .. would i set everything to large for the best sound.. or cut off the frequency of the fronts and rears, along with sub to yes?. thanks for any suggestions ... [​IMG] I know that my pre/pro won't be able to do anything since i am using the multi channel ins... do i set everything in the oppo the way i have set in my pre/pro? Also , i would still keep the digital volume control on the oppo to fixed like i have now, on the dedicated stereo SABRE jacks? The only time i would use variable if i was going to use the oppo as a preamp, which i am not, my pre/pro would still be be the preamp, the only difference being i am using the multi-channel ins , correct?
    Thanks, its been a long while since i used multi channel in, the last time i did was back in the day when i didn't have HDMI and I had to do it.. I now have HDMI but i want to enjoy my multi - channel DVD-a's and SACD's in something other than HDMI and take more advantage of my SABRE DACS for multi-channel music.....! I had different equipment at that time.. and it's been so long that i don't remember how i hooked it up.... thanks all ... :)

25. Linger63

Linger63 Forum Resident

Hi,

I would start with a crossover of 80Hz on OPPO and work from there.

Make sure crossover on Sub is at highest setting or switched out.

Set all speakers to small.

Set distances and SPL's on OPPO manually. (will need tape measure and SPL meter)

Keep OPPO volume FIXED at 100

You are correct about the rest.

Then just listen and tune to taste.

I noticed you are using a Yamaha RX-Z7 AVR as a Pre/Pro.

You will lose YPAO Room EQ but the OPPO's analog sound may still be superior so it's definitely worth a go!!

Cheers

MikeJedi, gd0 and bru87tr like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.