OPPO BDP-103 and BDP-105 Networking Universal 3D Blu-ray Players (part4)

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Ken_McAlinden, Dec 8, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jimi Bat

Jimi Bat Forum Resident

Thanks for all the help.
    I'll do an internet search next time before I come here to ask questions.

Metralla, deadcoldfish and tmtomh like this.
  2. soundQman

soundQman Senior Member

Actually I think they have lots and lots of fans. :D

3. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

My 103 is totally quiet and there is no fan.

I heard back from Oppo and they could not duplicate the noise from my 105D so they did a full refund. I'm guessing the noise I was hearing was transformer hum and that the power in my house is the problem. It's odd that if it was transformer hum that it would stop when the Pure Audio mode was used. I was hoping to keep the 105D as I felt it sounded great especially connected directly to my amps.

Bill

bru87tr likes this.
  4. bru87tr

bru87tr 80’s rule

Heck, most of us don't mind answering, but you would have found them quicker with a simple google search.

Even the spec page on the Oppo site had answers for you.

Good luck and I am sure you will enjoy the 103, it is a great player.

5. tmtomh

tmtomh Forum Resident

If Pure Audio stopped the noise, it's highly unlikely it was transformer hum. Also, if you have anything else - especially an amp - with a decent-sized toroidal transformer in it, it would hum as well.

Bill Mac likes this.
  6. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

I'm not sure I can agree with that. If, by engaging Pure Audio, the display (and other) circuits inside the player stop drawing current from the transformer, it could put the transformer to a state where it is not buzzing/humming/resonating.

As for other products humming... Each piece of gear has various circuits and physical designs that try to reduce toroid transformer hum. Some work better than others. Some have particular fits when used with particular electrical outlets or circuits, due to voltage and THD fluctuations on the line.

CrimsonPiper and tmtomh like this.
  7. tmtomh

tmtomh Forum Resident

I see your point Sam, and you might be right. In my experience, toroidal hum comes from DC in the line, and it's triggered simply by turning the component on and letting it warm up briefly - but that's with power amps. I supposed the Oppo's transformer is already drawing a heck of a lot less current than an amp, and perhaps with Pure Audio engaged it reduces the draw just enough to go below the threshold of DC overload that causes toroidals to hum.

Ironically, I've got a DC blocker in line with my power amp because its transformer hums periodically from DC in my electrical service - but my Oppo 105 doesn't hum, even without Pure Audio engaged. YMMV I guess is the watchword.

Bill Mac likes this.
  8. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I'm not sure what else would have been causing the hum especially when it couldn't be duplicated by Oppo. I have had issues in the past with transformer hum from some components. I have a Boston Acoustics A7200 with two toroidal transformers and it is dead quiet. So it seems that it depends on the component and how it handles the electrical system in my house.

Bill

tmtomh likes this.
  9. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Well the plot thickens with the story of my 105D ;). I called Oppo to see if I could re-buy the 105D as the noise issue was not present when the Oppo Techs checked it out per the email from them yesterday. I spoke with Derek and he did not see a "ticket" confirming that the noise was not found. He went back and the master Tech looked at the 105D and sure enough the noise was there. They said it was the power board and not the transformer making the noise.

Derek asked if I wanted the repairs made or another refurbished 105D. So I figured I'd rather have another unit as long as it was tested before being shipped. So they will test the "new" refurbished unit for any noise just to be sure. Derek waived the $27 shipping fee which was a nice gesture. Once again Oppo service is outstanding! I made sure I mentioned that as well.

So this time next week I should have the 105D back in my system connected directly to my Wyred 4 Sound SX-500s :).

Tom,

In the end you were right, nice call :).

Bill

SamS, Shawn, tmtomh and 2 others like this.
  10. tmtomh

tmtomh Forum Resident

I'm really glad it worked out and that Oppo is treating you well. I know you really liked your first 105D - imagine how much more you'll like the new one when you have the peace of mind that it's working 100% properly. Hope it arrives quickly and without incident. :righton:

Bill Mac likes this.
  11. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Tom,

Thank you :)! I'm confident that the "new" refurbished 105D will be just fine.

Bill

tmtomh likes this.
  12. tmtomh

tmtomh Forum Resident

I guess this would be the time to let folks know that, despite my very confusing username, my name is Matt.

"tmtomh" actually stands for "too much time on my hands." Not a Styx fan - rather, it's an ironic comment on the fact that I am so busy with work and such, and yet (like many of us) I keep signing up for and posting in online forums!

randy9700, sacsongs and superstar19 like this.
  13. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Matt,

Thanks for posting that. I hope I wasn't the only one that thought your name was "Tom" ;).

Bill

tmtomh likes this.
  14. tmtomh

tmtomh Forum Resident

No, you were far from the only one - it's the fault of my username. Now back to the thread!

15. Blair G.

Blair G. Senior Member

I'm about ready to spring for the 105D, despite the fact the price has risen to $1559 up here ( thanks to our shrinking CDN dollar)

16. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Blair,

Before you order ask Oppo if there are any refurbished 105Ds available. I doesn't hurt to ask and you can save a few bucks in the process :).

Bill

tmtomh likes this.
  17. Blair G.

Blair G. Senior Member

Good idea :)

Did the math: buying new from the authorized Canadian retailer the price including shipping & taxes is actually cheaper than buying new from Oppo US once the currency conversion has been factored in.
    The gap would widen if I get whacked for import duties & taxes bringing one over the border.
    End result; cheaper and easier to buy up here.
    And the difference between US refurb and CDN new is almost nil.

18. GKH

GKH Senior Member

How good is the audio section in the BDP-105D? Currently; I use the original Oppo DV-980H for all my CD, & DVDs, and have been since around 2007. With an inexpensive Sony Blu-ray in the mix, I have it covered.
    But; I began thinking that it might be time to make a big upgrade in this overall area. In the past 3 plus years, my CDs have been somewhat ignored since getting back into vinyl.
    I am curious to know audiophile thoughts on the 105D.

In the meantime, throughout the day, I'll go back and begin reading 'part 1', etc,,, of this thread to see what I discover.

Thanks!

Last edited: Mar 13, 2015
  19. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Is the $1559 price for the 105D from a Canadian retailer? Does Oppo have a facility like in California that you can buy from up there? I ask as maybe they would have refurbished 105Ds.

Bill

20. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I think if the majority of your listening is vinyl the 105D would not be worth the investment. If you don't listen to SACDs, DVD-As or Blu-Ray audio discs then it definitely wouldn't be worth it IMO. It also depends on your system as well and how you would be using the 105D. I feel the 105D is well worth the investment due to my system and how it will be used.

Bill

MikeJedi likes this.
  21. MikeJedi

MikeJedi Forum Resident

What Bill said ;). The 105D is the best sounding universal player I have owned and better than even a few CD players I have owned over the years... But if you listen to like 80/20 in favor of vinyl and don't really want to invest in a lot of bluray sacd cd etc maybe you can get the 103 which is excellent as well and half the cost... For me, the 105D works great, I love the analog section on CD, SACD etc and the Blu Rays rock with Darbee etc, I also love using it to upscale my Xbox One audio and video !!

22. Blair G.

Blair G. Senior Member

That's $1559CDN (=$1219USD at current exchange rates) from CDN retailer Solutions AV.
    Their policies are pretty much the same, 30 return with no re-stocking fee, just pay return shipping.
    Maybe I'll ask if they have any returns available, there may be the occasional buyer who thought it wasn't for them.

23. JediJoker

JediJoker Audio Engineer/Enthusiast

Anybody else have an issue with the audio from the Pandora and YouTube apps being noticeably louder than discs or Netflix?

24. Bad Samaritan

Bad Samaritan Forum Resident

just pulled the trigger on a refurb 105D from Oppo for $1039. Get ready for an onslaught of noob questions

tmtomh, Bill Mac and bru87tr like this.
  25. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Congrats :)! I'm sure you'll do fine setting it up. Have you owned any other Oppo players? My 105D refurbished unit arrived today. I couldn't even open the box as I had to head to work :shake:. I'll be able to set it up tomorrow using balanced direct to a pair of Wyred 4 Sound SX-500 mono-blocks. I can't wait :)!

Bill

bru87tr likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.