OPPO BDP-103 and BDP-105 Networking Universal 3D Blu-ray Players (part4)

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Ken_McAlinden, Dec 8, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

Ah, the joys of predictive text fumbling the ball...!

2. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Well it turns out the issue isn't with the 105D but with my Harmony 688 remote. I tried powering up the 105D with the supplied Oppo remote and playback did not start on power up. Then I powered the 105D down and powered back up with the 688 playback starts on power up. I tried a few tweaks to the 688 so the 105D would not start playback on power up but no luck so far. I'll either post in the AVS remote sub forum or contact Harmony/Logitech.

Bill

3. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I was able to tweak the 688 so playback doesn't start automatically :righton:. It took multiple attempts and the Harmony software crashing but it's done. I had to adjust the power up timing sequence from 25,000 ms to 1000 ms and that did it. So now on power up the 105D goes directly to the Home page and not playback. I emailed Oppo to let them know it was my Harmony remote and not the 105D. They responded early this morning with this message.

Bill,
    We are glad to hear that you have isolated the cause of the errors to your remote control, rather than the player.
    Best Regards

As always amazing service from Oppo :)!

Bill

DonnyMe and SamS like this.
  4. HiFi Guy 008

HiFi Guy 008 Forum Resident

I've posted about how poor the Oppo 105 streaming from my Mac sounded via WiFi.
    I took the advice someone suggested here, and connected it with an Ethernet cable to my router.

Wow. What a difference. I haven't done A/B comparisons yet with discs vs. streaming, but I think the streaming sounds better than the discs in the player!

Tell me about your experiences.

Scott J and tmtomh like this.
  5. HiFi Guy 008

I've confirmed this.
    To my shock and disappointment and delight, the 105 sound better streaming from my Mac via Ethernet than playing physical cd's in the player.
    How can this be?
    It also sounds better than playing from a USB stick.
    I'm floored.
    It's like playing cd's from a newer, more expensive player. I just can't get over this.
    The sound is much richer, more detailed and more musical. This is the best digital playback I've had in my system. Ever.

Scott J likes this.
  6. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

I'm getting a weird loud beeping sound when the unit (BDP105D) is turned on. It's only occasionally, and I can't determine any pattern to it; it just happens randomly. Only lasts for a second ot two and it comes from the unit itself, not through the speakers. Any guesses as to why and/or how to stop it form happening?

7. Brother_Rael

I know they're good mate but an email reply probably doesn't qualify as amazing service. One saying "It's nothing to do with us" arguably even less so!

Glad your machine ain't the culprit though!

8. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Receiving an email response from Oppo on a Saturday or a Sunday within hours of sending an inquiry doesn't equate to good service? I don't know what service you're used to but I doubt there are many if any other A/V manufacturers as large as Oppo that offer that type of service. The email I posted was one of many I had with Oppo about the playback issue I was having. They never said in the earlier emails "It's nothing to do with us" but offered tips to correct the issue. As a matter of fact their response wasn't "It's nothing to do with us" but "We are glad to hear that you have isolated the cause of the errors to your remote control, rather than the player".

Bill

PROG U.K. and stereoptic like this.
  9. Brother_Rael

Aye, Oppo owner humour bypass a complete success. Sorry, Oppo owner humour bypass a complete success!

Edit: Concept of paraphrasing also seems to have skipped the radar. Notion of large companies offering 7 day working to its staff (and hence seven day reply capability) likewise.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2015
    Adam6437 likes this.
  10. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

You forgot the ;).................:D.

Bill

11. Brother_Rael

Guess you did too Bill... :tiphat:

12. Oppo Digital--the American company responsible for Blu-ray players and headphone products--is actually a rather small operation, so I have been told. Oppo Electronics, the Chinese company that makes phones, is the big one. They aren't the same.

13. soundQman

soundQman Senior Member

That's interesting. I had assumed there was an Asian parent company named Oppo with other products. When I was in Bangkok recently, I saw quite a bit of signage and billboards for the Oppo mobile phone products.

14. cdash99

cdash99 Senior Member

?

I believe the US company licensed the name but they're independent.

15. Brother_Rael

Oppo Digital are based in California. The overall parent company, BBK, is based out in China. Wikipedia has a decent summary if you're interested.

JediJoker likes this.
  16. mongo

mongo Senior Member

Actually they are the same. Oppo Digital is a small division if you go by employee numbers.
    Their phones are awesome just like their audio gear.

soundQman likes this.
  17. cdash99

cdash99 Senior Member

According to Wikipedia, the US operation is independent, FWIW

"OPPO Digital Inc., is a completely independent operation that has licensed the OPPO brand name. They are based in Mountain View, California United States. It is known for its universal upconverting DVD and Blu-ray Disc players."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oppo_Electronics

18. Brother_Rael

It's the same with Rolls-Royce cars. The name is licensed out and VW or some years ago BMW built them. Royce's haven't built a car for years.

I understand the American operation us independent but BBK still own the name. I would expect they have some say to what the name is applied to.

19. gd0

gd0 Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies

If the parent company has no influence on the US mfr, why would the latter want to pay for that name in the first place? I doubt that anyone, at least in the US, knew who or what Oppo was until the disc players showed up. And only some years after the fact at that. Seems they would have made it on their own, strictly by virtue of good performance and value.

Acme?

20. JediJoker

JediJoker Audio Engineer/Enthusiast

Sorry to be a pedant for something unrelated, but Rolls-Royce is still owned by BMW; VW owned the brand from 1998 to 2002, when they sold it to BMW. It's Bentley that's currently owned by VW. In both cases, it's not a licensing arrangement: it's majority-stake ownership. Bentleys are still built by Bentley at Crewe, but share numerous parts with other VW products (mainly Audi cars). Rolls-Royces are still built by Rolls-Royce at Goodwood, but, similarly, cull from the BMW parts bin.

/pedant

Last edited: Apr 14, 2015
    rbbert and RolandG like this.
  21. Brother_Rael

And Rolls-Royce plc, the aero engine manufacturer, still owned the rights to the brand name and the Spirit of Ecstacy as part of the sale from Vickers to BMW AG in 1998.

If that's since changed, it may well be that brand and marque and SoE have gone to new owners too. I'd be very surprised however if two corporate entities permitted that to happen (have the same marque).

22. HiFi Guy 008

Anyone compared their streaming of WiFi vs Ethernet cable?
    I'm just floored by how much better the Ethernet sounds.

23. bru87tr

bru87tr 80’s rule

I have tried USB, Ethernet and WiFi, all sounds the same to me.

JediJoker and Scott J like this.
  24. HiFi Guy 008

Wish my WiFi sounded as good as the Ethernet!

25. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

To be pedantic Bentley models are now based on the VW Phaeton platform.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.