OPPO BDP-103 and BDP-105 Networking Universal 3D Blu-ray Players (part4)

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Ken_McAlinden, Dec 8, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

I'm really thinking of the under-the-lid elements. The end result, the audio, is a different animal I think.

2. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I agree to a certain extent. It appears to me that the 752BD is "based" on the 103. Other than DACs and added analog stereo output of the 752BD what else is really different than the 103? I'd assume that the video section and the disc drive are the same as the 103. But I could be mistaken. I'm in no way saying that it is a bad thing that the 752BD is "based" on the 103 :).

Bill

3. Brother_Rael

I get you, but I haven't looked at the 103. To my mind, Cambridge took a basic platform, modded it to their own spec and added some elements that don't appear on the 103, but in turn doesn't have a few of those found on the 105. It's down to personal need as to which you go for I guess, but as the 752 ticks all the boxes from an audio perspective, then I don't need to chase around the Oppos (or any other) to check out alternative options.

4. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

If the 752BD works well for you then that is all that counts :). The fact that DSD is not converted to analog when using the analog outputs could be an issue for some. But if SACD playback is not a priority then it's not an issue.

Bill

5. Brother_Rael

My amp does a conversion which takes care of that - the Stones remasters sound terrific - goes via HDMI but that's fine for me.

6. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

That'll work :). Although in that application you are using the DACs in your Onkyo 818 not the DACs in the 752BD.

Bill

7. Brother_Rael

Yes, and that's fine for me. The 818 is a very fine bit of kit and I like the sound of the DACs therein. The Cambridge works fine for CD or SACD through analogue and I don't lose sleep over conversion to PCM. It's nice to have the option effectively.

8. TarnishedEars

TarnishedEars Forum Resident

Could you elaborate on that comment? What do you mean that the DSD is not converted to analog? Does this "universal" player not play SACDs? Or are you only referring to multichannel SACDs?

9. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

I asked that question on the review thread that Brother_Rael started on the Cambridge and it was answered - if you are running analogue outputs, apparently the DSD encoding from the SACD is not converted directly to analogue.

10. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

By which you mean it is first converted to PCM?

FWIW - I read your earlier post as saying it couldn't be converted to analog at all.

11. Brother_Rael

It will, but you need to tell it to either do it automatically, set it to the CD layer, or the SACD layer. Several options. Mine prioritises the SACD layer and outputs it to DSD to the amp which then picks up the stream via HDMI. I could set it to the SACD output via PCM to the analog outs.

12. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

When using the analog outputs (5/7.1 and stereo) of the 752BD DSD is converted to PCM then converted to analog. To some this is a not an issue but for me it is. I have a good sized collection of SACDs and when using the analog output of my 103 I want DSD converted to analog without any additional conversions.

Bill

TarnishedEars likes this.
  13. Metralla

Yes to the first; sorry about the second, because I did not mean that.

14. soundQman

soundQman Senior Member

Are there other players that do that?

15. wolfram

wolfram Slave to the rhythm

My Denon 3930 did.

16. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Oppo 105 and earlier Oppo players I believe. I'm not sure about the current Denon and Marantz players though.

Bill

17. soundQman

soundQman Senior Member

Good thing I have a 105, then. :)

18. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

It sure is for a number of reasons. The 105 is an excellent player without a doubt :).

Bill

19. Metralla

And all the old Sony ES series and the more recent 5400

20. Gardo

Gardo Audio Epistemologist

stereoptic likes this.
  21. Gardo

Gardo Audio Epistemologist

As you can see, from my jubilation above, one major bug was fixed in this release. :)

22. HiFi Guy 008

HiFi Guy 008 Forum Resident

I hadn't noticed that play from USB was crashing. My experience is that trouble starts when you switch between the app and the Oppo remote, or between playing a disc and playing a file via WiFi. I'm still reluctant to upgrade until I read more.

23. ghost rider

ghost rider Forum Resident

How do you guys play needle drops? Mainly I need to figure out how to set them up so I can skip forward like a CD. As it is now I record them in Sound Forge 10.0 and save as a 24/96 wav or Flac file. When I skip its whole albums not individual tracks. I have always dropped marker and when playing from the computer I can skip from track to track.
    I tried inserting CD tracks and regions but that didn’t do it.

24. BayouTiger

BayouTiger Forum Resident

I have a BDP=95 in my main system in the Den. We watch Blu-Rays occasionally, but it's seldom used. When it is it is connected to my Anthem MRX510 via HDMI. All the audio goodness generally goes unused, but it works really well for movies and even occasional 5.1 audio.

I would like to add a universal player in my office and it seems that the best path might be to just get a 103 and move the 95 to the office, though it would be nice to eliminate my DacMagic in there. Currently I play mostly vinyl and digital via my AppleTV through the Cronus.

Going with the 103 might even make more sense with 4k players coming next year. Not really sure if the 4K upscaling on the current players really matters (I do have a Panasonic 4K set in the den.

Any thoughts?

25. Vinyl Fan 1973

Vinyl Fan 1973 "They're like soup, they're like....nothing bad"

I'm wondering if anyone could help me with regard to the Oppo BDP-103. I am looking to buy a universal player for HDCD, SACD, etc....currently I am using a Marantz CD6005 that I am very happy with, but does not decode HDCD or play SACD. I was thinking of ordering the Oppo to add to my stereo system where I can play HDCD and SACD.

My question is in regards to how I would hook up the Oppo to my Marantz PM6005 amp. The Marantz does not have an HDMI hookup, but it does have an option for a coaxial connection. If I hooked up the Oppo to the Marantz by coaxial, would this work? Would I then be able to play my HDCD and SACD through my system? Also, since there is no DAC in the Oppo, by using the coaxial hook up to the Marantz amp, would this then activate the DAC that I have in the Marantz?

If I'm wrong in my logic, I would appreciate any advice on how I should proceed. Thanks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.