OPPO BDP-103 and BDP-105 Networking Universal 3D Blu-ray Players (part4)

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Ken_McAlinden, Dec 8, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rbbert

rbbert Forum Resident

Why don't you just turn up the output to the subwoofer channel in the Oppo's setup?

2. JediJoker

JediJoker Audio Engineer/Enthusiast

Because that should be "the solution." I feel like there must be something else the matter.

3. rbbert

rbbert Forum Resident

If you are doing bass management in the Oppo, the default subwoofer level for SACD's should be +10 dB

4. MikeJedi

MikeJedi Forum Resident

Ya 10 db sounds about right. I am happy with my plus 6 Db. I may increase it later but I don't like to overdo it on some stuff.

5. JediJoker

Wow. Major proofreading fail on my part.
    I'm not talking about just SACDs, but why is it that the bass should be turned up for SACDs? And are you suggesting that I would need to change the bass management based on source material (i.e., +10 dB for SACDs, but not for others)?

6. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

What are you using for a processor?

Bill

7. JediJoker

Not sure what you mean... The BDP-103D does all the processing. I'm running analog into a Sony GA8ES (integrated receiver/amp).

8. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I asked as there is an issue with low LFE output when using the DSD setting with certain Denon and Marantz AVR/prepros.

Bill

9. gd0

gd0 Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies

I do the same, and have gobs of bass. BDP-103.

I can only guess at your exact situation, but I can suggest that you should re-visit the set-up in the Oppo, and expect to re-adjust more than once. Especially crossover settings. Forget what mine are exactly, but I do remember that, once finished, they seemed far removed from what was previously done on my antique AV receiver. Marantz SR7000.

I also think there is some documentation in the Oppo menu (or manual) on bass management for SACD, which is peculiar from all other formats. :realmad:

In any event, be willing to take several stabs at it.

JediJoker likes this.
  10. wolfram

wolfram Slave to the rhythm

My old Denon receiver (3805) offers a 5, 10 or 15db boost for the LFE analog input. Before I discovered that, I was frustrated because of lack of bass as well.

11. bubba-ho-tep

bubba-ho-tep Resident Ne'er-Do-Well

My 105 just stopped reading blu-rays. I did the factory reset to no avail. I also tried blowing some air into the slot. No success.

Any suggestions before I have to send it off for servicing?

12. gd0

gd0 Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies

Best suggestion is to contact Oppo directly and see if they have any input on your issue. Customer service seems to be very good there.

Also check to see if you have the latest updates installed. That info is on the website.

Quark1134 likes this.
  13. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

Unless there's a setting to stop all the video processing (Pure Audio or similar) then I'd send it back anyway.

14. bubba-ho-tep

It won't even load CDs or SACDs at this point, even after using the lens cleaner. I guess it's time for service. Based on my previous experiences with servicing electronics, I guess I can expect to have to buy a new unit soon. :realmad:

15. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Don't sweat it. Just call them Monday and arrange for an RMA. You'll be out $30 for shipping, and your player will be back good as new in 10 days.

JediJoker, ben_wood, Simon A and 5 others like this.
  16. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I would pretty much guarantee that your service related experience with Oppo will be a positive one.

Bill

chili555, JediJoker, ben_wood and 5 others like this.
  17. Coricama

Coricama Classic Rocker

I had the same problem with a 2 or 3 y/o BDP95 several years ago. I ran through some things with their techs via email and they determined it needed to be sent in. I had to pay for shipping it to them. They replaced the disc tray and sent it back. I paid nothing for the repair or return shipping and it was back in under 2 weeks! It's the main reason I am a diehard Oppo fan. Give them a chance, they might surprise you.

18. Coricama

Coricama Classic Rocker

I second that!

19. bubba-ho-tep

Thanks for the heads up, everybody. I'm feeling a little better about this.

Simon A, Bill Mac and PROG U.K. like this.
  20. PROG U.K.

PROG U.K. Audiophile-Anglophile

Ditto.

Coricama and Bill Mac like this.
  21. I say this half-jokingly, but is there anyone amongst us Oppo owners who haven't had to send in a unit for repair? While its customer/repair service is very good, from both my own experience and from what I read here it seems a high percentage of units break down. The best customer service is one you don't need to use :)

Metralla, JediJoker and tmtomh like this.
  22. roboss38

roboss38 Forum Resident

I've owned an 83SE, a 95, and a 105 which have all performed flawlessly. The 83SE went in for a tray repair for a week, but that is it.

JediJoker and Simon A like this.
  23. Linger63

Linger63 Forum Resident

I've owned an '83, a '95 and '105 which have all performed flawlessly.
    I suspect that perhaps the after market multi region mod (that a lot of users get) can screw them up a bit.
    There's quite a few places doing them now.........there's even "Standard" and "Pro" versions.
    The quality of the implementation MUST vary...........
    I wonder what % of players with "issues" were multi region modded (and by whom)?
    All of mine were done.........my '83 was ALSO JLTI modded!!

Maybe I've just been a bit lucky.....Even had TWO discs in my '105 at the SAME time once and hit play!!!!!
    Maybe "bubba-ho-tep" has just been a bit unlucky.
    Maybe OPPO QC is not quite as bad as it seems.

Wish I had a dollar for every time someone has posted about their "bung" OPPO and they just had settings out of whack by not even reading the manual......
    or the partnering equipment setup was to blame.....HDMI lead in the wrong spot ......etc ...etc.
    Not meaning you bubba!!!

Last edited: Jul 27, 2015
  24. mongo

mongo Senior Member

Disc drives are a common problem spot for any player.
    I currently have an 80, a 105 and(knock on wood) never had an issue.
    Briefly had a 95 and never had an issue either.
    Not an uncommon story, but a friend of mine had a 93 and the drive went out after 3 years.
    Sent it in and had back in 7 business days.
    Out of warranty. No charge.
    Try that with Marantz, Denon, Onkyo, Sony or whoever.

BTW, when he got it back he sold it direct to Amazon for $250 and bought a 103:cool:

25. efraley

efraley Forum Resident

I have had a 103 for 18 months with no problems. I'll check back with this thread in 18 months hoping I can say the same.

Linger63 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.