OPPO BDP-103 and BDP-105 Networking Universal 3D Blu-ray Players (part4)

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Ken_McAlinden, Dec 8, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

Setting up HDCD won't be a problem when you then opt to play a standard CD. The settings system, which I think is shared by Cambridge in terms of the interface, just permits you set it on or off. Essentially, the system will recognise an HDCD disc and will play that, but you don't then need to reset it to play a redbook CD.

EDIT: And congratulations, a good player and a nice way to start Christmas! Enjoy and merry Christmas. :)

Vinyl Fan 1973 likes this.
  2. BayouTiger

BayouTiger Forum Resident

You can also hook it temporarily to a PC monitor (if you have an HDMI to DVI adapter or cable laying around and go through the setup screens once.

3. BayouTiger

I hope to have my 105 later today when I do my Christmas shopping! ;)

4. Vinyl Fan 1973

Vinyl Fan 1973 "They're like soup, they're like....nothing bad"

Very nice, would loved to have picked up the 105, but alas, the budget won't permit. I recently picked up a pair of Focal 816's and my wife would shoot me on site if I spent anymore money on gear, music, etc.....

Enjoy your player and I look forward to hearing your thoughts about it....

5. Vinyl Fan 1973

That's great, thank you. Thanks for the kind words, I am so excited to get it home and set up. We have a dinner with family tonight, and it's going to go late so I doubt I'll have time to really get into it before tomorrow. I've got the spot already set up with the rest of the gear and first order of business will be to play my new Neil Young HDCD box set for series 1-4.

Brother_Rael likes this.
  6. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

Sounds like a great way to spend the season. Enjoy it.

7. Vinyl Fan 1973

Quick question, perhaps one of you had the same experience. For the initial set up, I'll have to connect to my TV to access the menu for the wifi config, as well as a few other settings, that cannot be accessed without a monitor. Now, my TV is at the other end of the room, away from my stereo set up. If I plug the unit into an outlet next to the TV and configure it, what will happen to the saved data selection once I unplug the unit, to move it to my stereo set up? Will I lose all the configuration, or will it store for a certain amount of time, so when I re-plug it in, the data I entered will remain?

8. rebellovw

rebellovw Forum Resident

I've setup my BD 103D - and love it - great picture - even my older son noticed a difference.

9. tmtomh

tmtomh Forum Resident

No problem - and congrats! A couple of notes:

(1) As others noted above, all the setting changes you make (HDCD, 2.0 vs. 5.1, etc.) are "sticky" - they persist when you turn the unit off and back on again. I think they also persist when you unplug the unit and re-plug it in again too, though you could easily double-check by putting in an HDCD after you re-plug it in and making sure the little "HDCD" light still comes on when it starts to play.

(2) If you have an old TV or monitor lying around, anything with a regular old composite video input (a single RCA plug - usually the jack on the TV will be color-coded yellow in some fashion), you can plug it into the 103's diagnostic port (marked "diag" and also color-coded with a little yellow ring around the jack). A monitor hooked up to that port won't display any video content from Blu-Ray discs, DVDs, and so on - but it will display the setup menus. So that would be another possible solution for not having to drag the 103 over to your main TV. In fact, it's how I have mine hooked up: My 105 is in a different room (on a different floor, at that) than my TV setup, and I didn't feel like shelling out any money for a monitor I'd hardly ever use, so I just have an old non-HDMI, non-HD 7-inch LCD monitor hooked up.

(3) Another option would be if you happen to have a recent-model computer monitor, it might have an HDMI input. In that case you could just use that.

10. Vinyl Fan 1973

Awesome, great detail and advice. I can't thank you enough. Happy Holidays!

tmtomh likes this.
  11. JamieLang

JamieLang Forum Resident

Make sure to turn OFF autoupdates....updates absolutely will restore defaults, IME.

tmtomh likes this.
  12. Vinyl Fan 1973

Got the Oppo 103 hooked up and I'm liking what I'm hearing. I don't own any SACD yet, but I've played standard CD, HDCD and Bluray audio, and the sound is great. The set up was very easy out of the box, and navigating the set up menu was very straightforward.

My only issue is I can't seem to get the latest firmware to update. I've connected the unit to my network, through Ethernet cable and wireless wifi and although the connection test works, the firmware upgrade fails. This is very frustrating as I don't know what I'm doing wrong, especially since the connection tests works, and I'm also able to use the IPad App to navigate the player.

Any suggestion on what I could be doing wrong?

13. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

I had similar problems. I simply switched to downloading the firmware onto a USB stick and popping that into the player.

tmtomh and Jerry Horne like this.
  14. mongo

mongo Senior Member

Not to sound harsh but what you're doing wrong is not reading the Oppo manual or visiting the website for firmware update instructions\options.
    I would suggest downloading the manual .pdf that way you can easily search for what you need.
    Setting up and configuring the Oppos is not hard but there are several important settings and options.
    As John suggested, just download the firmware and use a thumb drive for the update and read the instructions.
    Another tip, for playing SACDs, set the default to output DSD not PCM. Much better sound.
    There are other default options depending on what disc type you are playing make sure to visit them all.
    I'm more familiar with the 105 but I think the 103 has a variable volume output as well.
    It defaults to 100%. I recommend playing with it and not assuming that 100% sounds best with your gear. FWIW, I set mine at 84.
    I would also recommend taking the time to document your preferred settings as in rare cases you may need to reset the player to all default settings after doing a firmware update.
    May never happen but take my word it saves time. :)
    Merry Christmas you're going to love the 103.

15. The settings can be saved on a thumb drive and then re-loaded after a firmware upgrade.

16. Vinyl Fan 1973

I may have to do that, I've read the manual twice and followed their exact direction for wireless and Ethernet connection. I'll try the thumb drive option, thanks.

17. Vinyl Fan 1973

All great points. I've read through the manual twice and I've made the various settings that go best with my system. Everything seems to be working fine, accept getting the latest firmware. I don't own any SACD yet, but will ensure to set it to DSD when the time comes.

I just find it frustrating that things don't work as they should. All this technology and where does it get us? The manual states that if I am able to test the connection, and the Oppo says it's connected to the network, then why not download? Very frustrating, but it may be due to the outdated firmware in the first place, which makes using the thumb drive a good idea. I'll try that.

18. ghost rider

ghost rider Forum Resident

Sorry if this may come across as elementary. You are connected to your network? You can view something from it? For my 105 after I hooked it all up using an Ethernet connection the first thing it did was update the firmware, all I had to do is agree to update.

19. Vinyl Fan 1973

Yes I'm connected to my network. I did the scan option, and it located my network, I entered the password for my network and the Oppo filled in all the info regarding the DNS and IP address. I then tested the network, and I got a connected successful message.

20. mongo

mongo Senior Member

I realize that your network connection would not be from reading the manual for that but there's no way to tell remotely why the upgrade fails.
    My guess would be something in your network config. I had to try like 3 times to get mine connected and all I did was re-try until it worked.
    Not knowing what PC OS etc., you're running, can you see the Oppo in the Wi-Fi connected devices on your PC?
    If all looks good, you'll probably have to wait and contact Oppo by phone or email.
    One of the best perks of owning an Oppo product is their excellent & helpful tech support
    In the meantime you can load the firmware manually.
    Have you checked to see what firmware version you're on and what the latest one addresses?

21. No disc in the player? It only works without a disc.

22. ghost rider

ghost rider Forum Resident

I'm just suggesting as you may have, try pandora or something to make sure it's working.

23. BayouTiger

Got my 105 yesterday afternoon. Still holding out on opening the box, since I'll be distracted the rest of the day!

tmtomh and Vinyl Fan 1973 like this.
  24. Dbstay

Dbstay Senior Member

Got my 103 this week. I am upgrading from a 80 model. Couldn´t be happier. Funny, the 103 is not so loud, and the CDs sound less cold, compared to the 80. Cds are sounding warmer (to make use of a cliche) now. I feel like I am listening all my CDs again. And I loved the sound of the 80 model!

I am also making use of the Oppo media control app on my ipad and am loving it.

tmtomh and Vinyl Fan 1973 like this.
  25. Vinyl Fan 1973

Did that, as the manual warns to not leave it in. Actually, the only reason why I knew about the firmware issue, was after I downloaded the app for remote on my IPad, I got a message that I needed to download version 77.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.