OPPO BDP-103 and BDP-105 Networking Universal 3D Blu-ray Players (part4)

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Ken_McAlinden, Dec 8, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thomas D

Thomas D Forum Resident

I'm not sure about your specific problem, but for what it's worth, when I first got an Oppo, if I tried to play songs I'd loaded onto a USB stick, it would omit the first 1 or 2 seconds, if I was using shuffle or random play. I called customer support and they said this is inherent in their system or chip or something -- something about buffers, but I don't recall. So I went through a bunch of songs and edited in a couple seconds of silence at the beginning, so I could hear the whole songs.

HiFi Guy 008 and tmtomh like this.
  2. HiFi Guy 008

HiFi Guy 008 Forum Resident

Thank you. The odd thing is it hasn't happened with cue sheets in the past. Has to be either that my drive isn't allowing the sheets to be created correctly (it's old) or the Oppo has developed a software or hardware issue.

JediJoker likes this.
  3. tmtomh

tmtomh Forum Resident

You could experiment with manually editing a cue sheet, to have each song start one second earlier. On a conventional album with gaps between the songs, it could be an effective workaround.

4. Veni Vidi Vici

Veni Vidi Vici Forum Resident

That's obviously a bug, a consequence of the playback algorithm not being designed properly. Presumably when you don't play these songs on shuffle, but sequentially, you have to endure longer pauses between tracks. Myself, I would have gone for a refund and got something that works properly, but YMMV.

5. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Any suggestions of universal players with the features, build and sound quality as the 103/105 have? In other words which players equal to Oppo players handles the playback of media better from a USB thumb drive?

SamS likes this.
  6. HiFi Guy 008

The thing is I want gapless playback again using a cue sheet. Worked before.

Well, I'm not going to get a refund at this point. The player had been right out of the box.
    This is a new problem.

7. Veni Vidi Vici

I get it, it's a pretty egregious bug. It's also something that could be fixed, I would imagine, by a firmware update. Have you tried contacting them to see if they have one?

8. HiFi Guy 008

I've checked my firmware and it's apparently the latest.
    Yeah, I guess I should contact them.
    I just don't want to send the player out - I'd miss it. A lot.
    The sound is superb.

9. Veni Vidi Vici

The more people who complain to them about this, the more effort they will put into fixing it, especially as they want to exit the player business without damaging their reputation. I'd email them explaining the issue and see what they come back with, you might be pleasantly surprised (I'm crossing my fingers for ya!)

JediJoker and HiFi Guy 008 like this.
  10. HiFi Guy 008

Thanks. Has anyone else had this issue?

11. wolfram

wolfram Slave to the rhythm

If you want to find out if the problem lies with the Oppo or XLD, you might just play the cue sheet with a software that does support cue sheets (I'd use Foobar, but since you have a Mac, that's not an option). Or you could use an older rip, where you are sure that it used to work with no issues on your Oppo before.

The Talking Heads problem sounds like there's an error with the info in the database where XLD gets its info on the album. Maybe for track 5 the album title or the band name is spelled wrong ("The Talking Heads" instead of "Talking Heads"). In that case it would make sense that XLD treats the track as belonging to a different album, thus creating its own cue sheet.

I rarely play cue sheets on my Oppo (only the occasional SACD rip that needs to be played gapless), but I remember having hang ups and freezes from time to time as well. But I never encountered cut off seconds on tracks.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2018
    JediJoker likes this.
  12. HiFi Guy 008

Older rips work fine with cue sheets.
    So I reinstalled XLD, improved - seems to work, for the most part now... we'll see.
    I'd like to find ALL of the XLD prefs and delete them.

JediJoker and wolfram like this.
  13. JediJoker

JediJoker Audio Engineer/Enthusiast

You can try using a tool like AppZapper to find them.

HiFi Guy 008 likes this.
  14. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Old post from a little while back, but I did notice something. I have had a more responsive system overall with USB playback on my 105D when I got a USB3 stick and avoided the more common USB2 level thumb drives. No cut off intros and far less hic-ups, faster load, etc.

Just a tip that might help some.

15. Lovealego

Lovealego Senior Member

What do you guys mean by playing the cue sheet? You actually play the .cue file instead of one of the dsf files?

Also my ripping was going so well until today...After ripping about 5 discs, the rip would only get to 80-98% or so then stop. I would quit, reboot everything, try another disc and same result. Right after that when I started to extract the iso to dsfs, my 2015 mac (retina model) would start whirring louder and louder like it was struggling, and the extraction would take 10 minutes to complete, before it would take less than a minute.

Anyone run into these issues?

16. tmtomh

tmtomh Forum Resident

Playing the CUE sheet means you select the CUE sheet instead of the ISO file (or instead of the first of the DSF files) and the player uses the CUE sheet to play each song in turn. The CUE sheet is basically a playlist file.

JediJoker likes this.
  17. Clive Delves

Clive Delves Active Member

Going back to the early thread topic of SMB..
    does anyone here know why..... >>> ONLY with my 105D, I cannot access the files that are inside a network shared NAS unless I enable the Nas's onboard DLNA server. All PC and other network media players have no trouble, it's just the OPPO...!?!? it sees the nas device ok., it asks for a user+PW ok (but would rather it didn't !!), but when I try to open the shared folder the oppo hangs.. the scanning circle goes round and round....
    ideas anyone..?

18. HiFi Guy 008

Are you using WiFi or Ethernet cable?

19. Hymie the Robot

Hymie the Robot Forum Resident

My 103D has completely stopped "seeing" one of my Windows 10 machines. No problems a week ago but now they just ignore each other...

Luckily my HDMI input of the Oppo sounds equally as good without ANY of the DNLA/UPnP hassles!

Kodi and jRiver both sound excellent, even DSD to PCM converted. My Harmony remote hub controls Kodi perfectly so I use that the most. My backup DSD stuff is on a different PC (laptop) that the Oppo still recognizes so if I must listen to DSD without conversion, I can using SMB, CUE and DFF.

20. Clive Delves

Guy 008 - I am on ethernet

21. HiFi Guy 008

Understood. Hmm. No answer for ya.

My Mac and Oppo have stopped seeing each other via the SACD ripping app.
    Streams fine, mostly (cue sheets still don't work).
    Also, the Oppo doesn't see .dsf files via WiFi.
    Have to use a USB stick for that. Oh, and cue sheets don't work properly even from a USB stick!
    This has to be a problem with the Oppo's internal software or hardware. Worked fine before.

22. Clive Delves

No hope for me either...???

23. Hymie the Robot

Hymie the Robot Forum Resident

I only played around with the cue sheet/dff files over a network share (SMB) and they worked pretty well. The last song on the cue list doesn't show up correctly, the track time is flakey. But other than that it seemed fine. This was one long dff file and a cue sheet produced by ISO2DSD. Multichannel dff didn't work at all but the stereo ones were fine. Ethernet connection, no WiFi.

24. Kenn

Kenn New Member

Hi All,

I just updated to 1226 firmware for the 103 which is the latest. However I have lost SMB. Now I can't see my SMB via synology NAS on the Oppo network list. When I was on a older firmware it was there. I have tried factory reset, etc. Rebooted router and NAS. My iphone with an app can see the SMB share no issues.

note: I turned on NFS on my synology NAS and the Oppo 103 sees it no problem.

Do I need to enable minimum SMB 2 on the NAS? It's set to SMB 1 as minimum and SMB 3 as max.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
    K.

25. What is SMB?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.