Oppo BDP-105 As A Pre-Amp

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by cloudbaseracer, Feb 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

The volume control for the BDP-105 is for the analog and headphone outputs and happens inside the 32-bit ESS DAC. It has plenty of dynamic range to preserve all 24-bits of data. More info here: http://www.esstech.com/PDF/digital-vs-analog-volume-control.pdf

2. Jeff52

Jeff52 Forum Resident

3. gellie

gellie Forum Resident

Hello new here. Thinking of getting a 105. What is the best way to hook up my squeezebox touch to the Oppo? I plan on hooking the Oppo into my Marantz sr7005 via RCA 7.1 inputs. Should I go optical,coax or USB ? I want to make the best use of the Oppo internal DAC. Thanks

4. soundQman

soundQman Senior Member

I'm using the Oppo 105 as a DAC and pre-amp for desktop audio (USB for digital input from computer and analog out to power amp) as well as video playback (DVI) via computer monitor. It works fine for me. It's DAC is the same one as is in the Benchmark - the Sabre 32-bit. I use the player's remote for volume control and have had no problems or complaints as it remembers and keeps the previous settings even after power off/on cycling.

5. remon2013

remon2013 New Member

I purchased an Oppo BPD-105 which I wanted to connect as a DAC and a pre-amp to a Rotel RB-1572 and as DAC / BluRay to a Denon AVR-4311.
    The Denon has been connected via HDMI and seems to work properly.
    The Rotel has been connected via a RCA cable and does not produce any sound .... someone any suggestion on how to "activate" the pre-amp
    functionality on the Oppo BDP-105 (tried the settings on the website of Oppo, but did not succeeded)

6. Question: can you hook up a USB turntable (or USB phono preamp) to the BDP-105's USB DAC input?

7. No, it does not. ESS has a white paper on their digital volume control which explains that it outperforms the majority of analog volume controls:

http://www.esstech.com/PDF/digital-vs-analog-volume-control.pdf

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.