Oppo BDP-105 for internet radio

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by DEG, Aug 15, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DEG

DEG Sparks ^^^ Thread Starter

I have this connected to WIFI. There isn't a web browser on it that I can find. All I want to do, for now anyhow, is listen to the local NPR station thru the Oppo and main system.

Any ideas?

Thanks -

DEG

2. Call Oppo customer service. They are very helpful.

3. Ozric

Ozric Senior Member

There is no browser in the 105, I think that all you can do with it internet wise are the applications that are in the main menu. You could connect the output of a PC or Mac to it and use the internet radio from there.

4. skriefal

skriefal Senior Member

Roku Streaming Stick? Otherwise you could look for a DLNA server software package that could expose streaming audio feeds via DLNA to the Oppo (JRiver Media Center perhaps?).

SamS likes this.
  5. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

TuneIn Radio app via a Roku Streaming Stick. $50 and done.

SandAndGlass, jlc76 and Coricama like this.
  6. DEG

DEG Sparks ^^^ Thread Starter

I'm going to try and add the Oppo as a "device" on this computer. I will report my results.

7. Claude

Claude Senior Member

I'm no expert on this, but I don't think this will be of any use.

There are several types of DLNA devices. Only a "Digital Media Renderer" can play content that is pushed by the PC (in that case, you can use the "Play To..." context menu item with movie or music files). The Oppo is most likely a "Digital Media Player ", which can play content from a DLNA server, but the playback control is done on the player itself.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Living_Network_Alliance

My Oppo 93 is shown as a network device in Windows, but I can't do anything with it on the PC, whereas my Samsung TV can be addressed with the "Play to ..." command.

8. Claude

Claude Senior Member

Another thing that you can do is use the Oppo 105 as a USB DAC. Play internet radio on your PC and select the Oppo (connected via USB) as the audio device.

In that case you can play any source available on the PC (internet radio via browser or software player), and hear the sound from the Oppo, but the playback is controlled on the PC, since the Oppo just works as a DAC. There is software for smartphones that allows to remote control playback software on the PC, via WiFi.

9. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

The 105 and 103 are indeed Digital Media renderers.

http://watershade.net/wmcclain/BDP-103-faq.html#is-the-player-a-digital-media-renderer

10. Coricama

Coricama Classic Rocker

Correct answer. :righton:

11. jlc76

jlc76 Forum Resident

It would be nice if the 105 allow for the downloading of apps like Spotify and Tunein, but I have a Roku and a Squeezebox hooked so that covers it. I'd just like less boxes hanging around.

dharmabumstead likes this.
  12. dharmabumstead

dharmabumstead Forum Resident

A suggestion would be to go here and ask Oppo to add TuneIn radio to the BDP-10x players:

https://www.oppodigital.com/ContactUs.aspx?CatID=3

I'd love to have TuneIn radio on my BDP-105 - it would eliminate my need to have a dedicated FM tuner in my stack (and save me from having to buy a Sonos Connect).

13. feinstei9415

feinstei9415 Forum Resident

I've found that the best way to listen to Internet Radio is to connect a Bluetooth adapter (such as the Logitech Bluetooth adapter available for about $35 -- it's on sale at BestBuy this week) and use a dedicated cheap Android tablet running TuneIn Radio (a free service).

The problem with built-in Internet Radio providers is that they don't have all the stations that you might want to listen to and/or they don't support the formats (MP3, RealAudio etc) that your desired radio station might use.

For example, I have a Grace/Reciva Internet Radio. I wanted to listen to a classical music radio station from Israel called "The Voice Of Music" ("Kol HaMusica" in Hebrew). It uses a kind-of-bizarre format. TuneIn Radio running on a computer or cheap tablet seamlessly supports it. TuneIn Radio and Grace Reciva Internet Radio running on an "embedded device" don't.

So... I put one of these Logitech Bluetooth adapters onto my stereo and dedicated a $50.00 Android tablet to "pair" with it. I leave the computer on and running the TuneIn Radio application 24/7. Whenever I want to listen to any Internet Radio station, I simply use that dedicated table to receive it.

I've found that this solution solves all of my Internet Radio issues with the Grace/Reciva not supporting all formats or not having the Internet Radio station in their database, so I've abandoned that device. The TuneIn Radio application for both Android and the PC support unlimited numbers of favorites and works seamlessly with all Internet Radio stations that I've ever wanted to hear. It's a very well-written app that allows me to tune-in any Internet Radio station in < 20 seconds....

Here's a link to the Logitech Bluetooth adapter... I'd buy a used one and save a few bucks....

http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-980-...98&sr=8-1&keywords=logitech+bluetooth+adapter

SandAndGlass and dharmabumstead like this.
  14. Pancat

Pancat Senior Member

I've plugged an Amazon firestick into the oppo and listen to spotify and tunein radio through that.

15. Pancat

Pancat Senior Member

I've plugged an Amazon firestick into the oppo and listen to spotify and tunein radio through that.

16. Brando4905

Brando4905 Forum Resident

I use a MHL port Roku stick and have access to literally endless amounts of Internet radio on the 105. I made the mistake of buying the regular Roku stick first and didn't realize there was the MHL version that powers itself through the front Hdmi input. MHL version is a little pricier but well worth it for the content.

17. jlc76

jlc76 Forum Resident

How is the video through the MHL? I have an older Roku 3 box and find that video is sometimes not very fluid, especially in long pan shots there are intermittent pauses that are barely perceptible but very real. I use the 105D to view most Netflix and it looks outstanding but if I'm using Amazon or Hulu I have to use the Roku which is disappointing. I'm on wifi but have a very strong signal (the 105D is also on wifi) and my internet connection is 300 Mbps so no problem there. I'm thinking the Roku just doesn't have the processing power to keep up and I'm worried that an even smaller device might be even more compromised. There is a new large Roku that does 4k that I'm looking at, even though I don't have a TV that's 4k yet. I guess I'm from the school that the bigger the device the higher quality build.

18. Brando4905

Brando4905 Forum Resident

Haven't really gotten into the video side of the MHL Roku yet, just use it for listening. I did watch the PBS channel a little last night, and it's definitely not up to par with the Netflix on the 105d. I loath for your internet speed. I live in the sticks and my fastest option is bonded DSL service, best I've seen speed wise is around 23mbps.

19. dharmabumstead

I had a spare Roku 3 box laying around that I hooked up to the MHL port on the front of my Oppo 105. Works a treat for audio, which is all I care about in this context - the video quality is not great.

20. dharmabumstead

Better yet - I got a Sonos Connect for my birthday last week (we already have a Sonos system in the house), and am now running that through the optical in on the Oppo BDP-105D. This is working really well - I can now enjoy Tidal, TuneIn Radio, SiriusXM, and a bunch of other streaming services (Sonos supports quite a few) through my stereo. Sound quality using the Oppo's DAC is a ton better than the Connect's on-board DAC, and I can control it using my iDevice or any Windows/Mac PC.

Well chuffed!

GuinnessDan likes this.
  21. Jack Flannery

Jack Flannery Forum Resident

The Connect sounds like a nice device.

GuinnessDan likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.