OPPO BDP-95 Audiophile Universal Blu-ray/SACD/DVD-A player (part 2)

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by MilesSmiles, Nov 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rbbert

rbbert Forum Resident

Or think about a hot-rodded 95!

2. TarnishedEars

TarnishedEars Forum Resident

I don't know if I have a bum player or what. But I've owned a BDP-93 for a year, which I had thought was a very respectable sounding, if not 100% refined, multichannel player. So I just bit the bullet and order a 95 hoping to get the added refinement on top of a sound which I already enjoyed in my HT system (I have a VSE Level 6.5 Modified SCD-1 in my two-channel system).

A week into my trial, I am a very unhappy camper. While I do hear some added refinement, and the bass is definitely richer. The sound out of the 95 is simply dead by comparison. I'm finding myself left completely bored when listening every single SACD that I've tried because all of the "life" from the music is gone. Frankly I'm shocked at all of the rave reviews that I have read because I really don't enjoy listening to my music through this player at all. So I think that I will be returning this unit, and downgrading to a 93 again. Perhaps I'll have to look into some of the mods for the 93 which will help add the refinement without completely changing its sonic character the way that the 95 has.

What a dissappointment.

3. farmingdad

farmingdad Forum Resident

Maybe you are a victim of high expectations? Gets me all the time:(

4. TarnishedEars

I'm just a victim of expecting a similar overall character, but with added refinment. But the 93 and the 95 sound completely different, and that was not what I had in mind (or was expecting) at all. For those who have ever experienced "PRaT", this player simply lacks any semblance of it IMO. My wife feels similarly. She's not wanting to sit down and listen anymore either.

My 93 got almost continuous duty when whenever I was in the media room. But now, even my favorite SACDs leave me wanting to turn the system off rather than listen to music.

I will say this in favor of the 95: Clasical sounds glorious! But as for Jazz and Rock: no thank-you.

5. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

I think you were right with your expectations - added refinement, but no loss of drive or PRaT. I wonder if it needs more time though?

6. TarnishedEars

Perhaps. And while I have heard subtle differences as components "burn-in" before, I've never heard the "PRaT" change over time, so much as I have noticed improvements in detail and transparency.

I tend to wonder if there is some setting which I have not noticed on the setup menu which I have screwed-up. Yes it is running in DSD mode, and I do not have any HDMI components connected at the moment. And all of the speaker settings are identical to those which I was using for my 93.

FWIW: I'm listening to one of Steve's NKC SACDs (St Louis Blues) as I write. It does sound really great in most regards. Except that I'm not tapping my toe, or feeling compelled to listen as I would with the 93. This player is simply not pulling me into the music like the 93 did. And this is a fatal flaw in my book.

7. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

That sounds about right, but my Sony 5400 did get better in the bass - slightly deeper and more extended, better fluidity, more drive - and this did enhance my involvement with the music.

8. bcwang

bcwang New Member

Maybe you should try the Nuforce Xtreme Edition BDP-93 instead.

9. TarnishedEars

Something along those lines is the direction that I'm leaning right now; though not necesssarily NuForce.

10. Averara

Averara New Member

Russ Andrews OPPO BDP-95EU Upgrade
    http://www.russandrews.com/product.asp?pf_id=8604

11. Dok

Dok Senior Member

http://www.tweakaudio.com/EVS-2/Oppo_95_mods.html

Advanced modification options:
    "If you are getting any of the advanced mods you must run the unit with the cover off or with a suitable dust cover as described below. I will not warrantee my work from overheating unless you run the unit with the cover off or with a suitable dust cover. The Oppo sounds mucho better with the cover off. It also runs cooler and the noisey fan never comes on (see below)."

12. ti-triodes

ti-triodes Senior Member

I wasn't too happy with my 95 when I first got it. I was trying to replace a Njoe Tjoeb tube CD player with the Oppo and the initial results were almost painful, to say the least. However, after at least 100 hours of burn in the Oppo definitely opened up. It really is a great player. Some people recommend at least 400 hours of burn in. If you bought it directly from Oppo you have 30 days to make up your mind, in any case.

Good luck.

13. leefarber

leefarber Senior Member

I currently listen to DVD-A's and SACDs on my Oppo BDP-83 connected via HDMI to my Denon AVR 4308 (which I use as a Pre/Pro). My question is... should my next upgrade be to the BDP-95 and use the analog outs to the Denon, or would I be better off upgrading the Denon AVR to something like the Integra 80.3?

I guess it comes down to what will create a more noticeable improvement in sound quality: superior DACs (as found in the BDP-95) or superior Audyssey room correction (as found in the Integra 80.3).

14. TarnishedEars

That's good to know. I think that I'm going to put mine into a continous play mode with a CD that I have successfully used in the past for burn-in. for a few days to see if it gets any better. Perhaps this is simply an ultra-painful burn-in period. If so, I'll be delighted. But frankly, I'll be surprised if it can actually "open-up" enough to make me like it.

15. ti-triodes

ti-triodes Senior Member

I also have the Denon 4308. I usually hook up the analog outs of the 95 to a Primaluna tube amp but have experimented at times by hooking the analogs to the CD input of the 4308. In a direct comparison, the difference between the analog output and the HDMI stereo output is not even close. HDMI sounds okay but the analog output has a definite wider soundstage with a great presence. The bass really stands out. Really tight and deep. The highs really open up and sound less "digital". For me, the 95 was worth the extra money over the 93 just for the analogs. They really sound superb.

FWIW, I also have the Oppo 83 and I think the HDMI on the 83 sounds better than the 95.

16. farmingdad

farmingdad Forum Resident

That is interesting. I wonder why that is?

17. TarnishedEars

FWIW - I've had this unit running continuously for almost 48 hours now, and the sound is definitely improving. Soundstage and presence, and detail are not really issues anymore, and this player is actually getting to sound quite good, overall, at this point. But so far at least, PRaT simply seems to have left the building, and show no signs of returning. However it is really starting to sound very good on an analytical level. Its just that the sound still does not make me feel compelled to tap my foot, even to some of my favorite tunes. I am into music for the emotional reaction which it invokes, and this player is simply not doing this for me right now, despite how good it is starting to sound in other regards.

I'll continue to burn-it-in for a while longer, but I'm strongly leaning towards returning it and modifying my 93 instead. From everything that I've read the current-output DACs on this unit make the 95 far more difficult to successfully modify than do the voltage-output DACs on the 93. And the Modified 93s are supposed to sound better than the 95s. I was simply hoping to find a stock player that I could live with, so that I would not be forced to void the warranty when I modify it.

18. Majestyk

Majestyk Rush Resident

I have had the Oppo BDP-S83 for over two years and the sound has never changed on it. It's the same now as it was when I bought it.

19. ti-triodes

ti-triodes Senior Member

The real improvement in the 95 is in analog. Sabre DAC's, a beefy Rotel transformer, balanced outputs and a heavy duty shielded chassis are all geared for audio. The video section is the same as the 93, so if you're just looking for HDMI it's better to get a 93.

It could probably be just that the 83 sounds better on my system. But, OTOH, just because a new model comes out it doesn't mean it's better. For instance, many people think the Qdeo video processor in the 93/95 is not as good as the Anchor Bay processor in the 83.

20. *Zod*

*Zod* Forum Resident

yeah, no reason to get a 95 unless you are an old fashioned 2 channel analog enthusiast. It's a wonderful unit and I'm so glad it was manufactured. Seems almost an obvious concept, though that can be hard to find these days.

21. Keim

Keim Hangin' here from the start

Old fashioned 2 channel analog enthusiast here. I just ordered one of these to add to my 2 channel SET triode set-up. Can't wait to hear it!

22. realdiel

realdiel Forum Resident

About a week ago, my 4-month-old bdp-95 quit recognizing blu-ray discs, then today it stopped recognizing dvd's and then cds. Any ideas before I call Oppo tomorrow. No matter what I put in it, it says no disc.

Brian

23. peteham

peteham Senior Member

Mine was a BDP-93, and it died after nine months under the exact same circumstances. Mine was fried, and because it was under warranty they (my dealer) just gave me a new one.

24. Purplerocks

Purplerocks Forum Resident

Just wondering if you've spoken with Oppo?
    I just sent my 95 back to Oppo under warranty repair for a similar issue. For the past few months whenever I put a disc in the tray (cd, dvd didn't matter) it would make a shuddering type of sound and not recognize the disc right away; it's gradually become worse to the point where it's happening on about every 4 out 5 discs tried and I usually need to open/close the tray 2-3 times before it loads properly and begins play. Once play begins, it seems to track correctly. Anyway, I decided it was time to return it and have repaired.
    Other than that, I love it.

25. Keim

Keim Hangin' here from the start

Got mine today. Currently listening to CD's on it. Sounds realllllllllly good on my tube system.

I am impressed with the ease of set-up, and attention to detail.

Color me pleased with this purchase.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.