OPPO BDP-95 Audiophile Universal Blu-ray/SACD/DVD-A player (part 2)

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by MilesSmiles, Nov 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SergioRZ

SergioRZ Well-Known Member

Found some weird (and excessive) vibration when playing certain discs, this time with DSD layer on a SACD disc, it actually made some noise with the top cover "trembling" a bit :(

If I put my hand on the top cover I can feel vibration... lots of it...

Anyone else?

2. GregM

GregM The expanding man

I am currently playing the DSD layer of an SACD and can feel an extremely slight bit of vibration, but it's barely perceptible.

I do wish that Oppo would make a universal BDP with higher quality chassis, feet and disc drawer. The underbelly of the Oppo 95 is made of the same thin sheet metal as its little brothers. And it's not even flat sheet metal, so I can't use my Aurio isolation devices under it. :(

3. BIG ED

BIG ED Forum Resident

I'd be suprisED if the 95 sounded the same as the Esoteric!
    "Vastly Overated" for what?!?!

The Oppo is "Highly Rated" for value.
    Sound (as well as: preformance & capablity) for the $$$.
    Not sound & preformance no matter what the cost or format.

Did you really compare a $1000US Oppo 3D BD player too your VSE mod'd unit; where the mod cost two or three times the cost of the 95???
    WoW
    People are funny!

4. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

Did he? I'd like to know about that comparison.

I love the VSE modified-Sonys and would go close to calling them a reference. If the Oppo can get near a VSE SCD-1, I'd like to know about it.

5. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

The BDP-83SE (and by inference) and BDP-95 smoked the Audiomod SCD-1 I had. I probably had ~$3000 in mods. In hindsight, the mods gave me very little value per dollar spent.

I have not heard VSE.

System synergy could the overriding factor here, as I suspect it will be, when chasing that last 5%.

6. konoyaro

konoyaro Forum Resident

Yes, I have this with a couple discs on my BDP-83. Sent in a sample disc, they responded that although it made some noise on their test machine, it was within tolerances. Whether their test machine vibrates / makes as much noise as mine is a different story.

7. Claude

Claude Senior Member

With my Oppo 93, I have this too with several discs. But it does not make noise.

8. voigtskins

voigtskins Member

OPPO has stated that a little vibration is felt on the top cover while playing some discs.I would call them if any questions of EXCESS vibrations.

9. BIG ED

BIG ED Forum Resident

Oppo is not a HiEnd company.
    They have all ways been a bang-for-the-buck outfit.
    (ala: Outlaw)
    They took a chance w/the 95; BIGGEST chassis by far they've ever released.
    At twice the price of their next most expensive unit in the current line-up.

I'm sure they'd be thrilled too build a 'tank'; on the lines of an Esoteric.
    However, they'd lose most of their faithful customers & have too win over a whole new HiEnd crowd as well.
    Not EZ to do!

A 3K Oppo?!?!
    Maybe it will/can happen, just that's a HUGE jump in CE in today's economy.

10. Mice in Freefall

Mice in Freefall Forum Resident

I experienced the same issue with my BDP 83 SE. Only on the MC layer of SACD's though.

I ended up sending the player back to the UK representative of Oppo and they added a buffer around the drive.
    This resolved the issue and the player has been very quiet playing SACD's since then, no more vibration.

11. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

SACDs spin faster than CDs. There have been a variety of different optical drives (aka transports) used in the OPPOs over the years. I have found them all to be rather robust, although I can understand that the vibration with particular discs would be annoying. I don't think there is any sonic or mechanical degradation occurring.

12. BIG ED

BIG ED Forum Resident

Any contact info would be appreciatED.

13. stricee

stricee Forum Resident

not to get off the subject but upgrade the powercord on the 95 u will be pleasantly surprised.....

14. BIG ED

BIG ED Forum Resident

Believe me, not "off topic"...
    was discussed in Part 1 as well!

15. stricee

stricee Forum Resident

im dead serious guys installed a venom 3 in my 95...omg what a world of difference...every aspect of this player improved not that it needed much but WOW

16. *Zod*

*Zod* Forum Resident

pardon my possible ignorance, but how can a ($125) power cord which simply carries electricity translate to a sound quality improvement? The cord included with the 95 seems substantial enough.

17. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

There have been many threads on this very subject - almost always, they are controversial and often get closed.

18. Claude

Claude Senior Member

Awesome, dude :D

19. Digital-G

Digital-G Senior Member

It suppose it could make a difference but the cord supplied with the unit is pretty beefy. I think I'll stick with it.

20. Purplerocks

Purplerocks Forum Resident

I swapped the stock cord for a Pangea ac9se; I agree; upgrading can make a big difference. It did in my system :righton:

21. SteveSDCA

SteveSDCA Senior Member

Would it make the same difference to use an upgraded power cord for the amp?

22. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Thread drift!

23. SteveSDCA

SteveSDCA Senior Member

oops :angel:

BTW, I did get a OPPO BDP-95 Audiophile Universal Blu-ray/SACD/DVD-A player and I like to sound of my SACD's and CD's on it. I replaced my Sony SACD player with it am completely satisfied.

24. Blair G.

Blair G. Senior Member

My Denon 3930 is starting to act up on a more regular basis (won't read the SACD layer on hybrids).
    Am starting to think I should at least audition the 95 before sinking repair money into the Denon.

25. Barnabas Collins

Barnabas Collins Senior Member

Has anyone had a problem connecting a 3TB hard drive to the 95? My player has no problems with the 2TB drives I have, but I just got myself a Western Digital 3TB and the player doesn't seem to acknowledge it. When I plug it in, the message "USB Drive" comes up but that's as far as it goes. I know there's nothing wrong with the drive because it works fine on the computer.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.