Oppo BDT-101CI versus BDP-103(D) ?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by CraigVC, Nov 2, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. toilet_doctor

toilet_doctor "Rockin' chair's got me"

Guys, please watch nice video about Base CI, but in German. Sorry about that.

(From another forum)

- Since this has a premium DAC and has USB input, I assume it would have analogue output also. Then why is this called as a ' Transport' instead of BDP.

- If one do not need analogue out, it will be a transport only. Looks like a PC soundcard, that sound board can be optional and DAC must be on it.

- Exactly! Remove the Stereo expansion card + stereo outputs and you'll be left with a BD transport. You can also add 7.1 analogue outs in its place. Not happy with the RCA stereo outs but love stereo. Remove that card and replace it with another that has balanced XLR outputs. If you're not happy with the sound quality of the Oppo stereo card, replace it with something more audiophile. The possibilities are there.

Oppo says:

"Our recommendation for choosing the BDT-101CI or BDP-103 series is based on how you intend to install and use the player.

[1] If you need a simple and reliable universal disc player, the BDT-101CI may be a perfect fit.

[2] If you need a player with additional features such as network streaming and external signal inputs, the BDP-103(D) or 105(D) might be a better choice.

[3] If your primary use of the player is for listening to music and you will connect the player to high quality amplifiers and speakers, the BDP-105(D) is our recommendation for audio playback."

This is my case [3], guys. Please explain it to me.
    I'm interested in using CI for Blu-ray Audio/Video and DVD-A/V only to connect it to my hi-end system (preamp-amp-speakers) and TV sometimes. Why do I need 105 for that?

If I need additional features - 105 "might be the better choice". No[2] - Agree.

If I don't need additional features - also 105 "is our recommendation for audio playback. No[3] - (???)

101-CI is perfect fit, if you need simple and reliable Universal player. No[1] - Yes, I do need such a player (who doesn't), but what I will use it for?! If for streaming I need 105 and for Audio playback I need 105.

I am totally lost...

2. TVC15

TVC15 Forum Resident

You can buy this direct from Oppo.

I bought one but it was horrible, audio stuttered from the analog outs whenever the TV was off. Struggled with SACDs. Would have to unplug the HDMI to get it to work.

3. toilet_doctor

Thank you for coming forward. Unit was defective. How did it perform without HDMI?
    SACDs was always Oppo's weakest point. Did you try Blu-ray Audio and DVD-Audio? Or damn videos?

4. TVC15

TVC15 Forum Resident

Videos were lovely -- but bought it for the universal disk capability, which was lacking.

It was not defective. It was picking up a signal via HDMI from my TV even when turned off and attempting to handshake, which mutes the audio (even from the analogs). Which is no good when using headless as a CD/SACD player. Oppo told me there was nothing they could do, and didn't see it as a problem to resolve.
    Note that my Sony BDP-7200 doesn't do this, nor the Pioneer that preceded it.

toilet_doctor likes this.
  5. toilet_doctor

Guys, did anyone else try this "simple and reliable" thing or did modify it on the better way from what it was?

6. So what "more audiophile" cards are available other than the Oppo card? Does this mean that PCI cards can be used? I guess I could ask Oppo directly.

7. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Could you please explain further why SACDs "was always Oppo's weakest point"?

Bill

The Beave and mikeyt like this.
  8. toilet_doctor

Because, it performs much better with Blu-ray Audio and DVD-A formats.
    Because, it doesn't show the difference (much) between SACD and CD layers (almost the same).

Can you, Bill, listen to CD layer on you Oppo? Please call Oppo and ask them how to do that; and, when you will finally compare, you will understand why.

I was counting on Oppo as Universal player myself, but have to buy dedicated SACD machine after all Cary 360 Pro. And I sent it to my friend to compare with newly bought 105D (I want him to send 105 back to Oppo); it's no contest (in high-end system). Sorry about that. While in reg. system it may be perfect player - I didn't try.

9. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

In order to compare the CD and SACD layers you would have to go into the menu to Playback Setup / SACD Priority / Multichannel-Stereo-CD Mode. To be honest I have no interest in comparing the CD and SACD layers as it would be a very difficult process as the switching will not be instantaneous. If you are comparing the 105D ($1299) to a Cary 306 (?) Pro ($8000) that isn't even a remotely fair comparison. Of course the Cary is going to sound better than the 105D. If it didn't something is seriously wrong.

So if your assessment that SACD playback "was always Oppo's weakest point" when compared to a $8000 Cary it's not a relative statement at all IMO. If the Cary did Blu-ray and DVD-A you'd probably find the Cary sounds better with those as well. But seeing that you can't make that comparison those two formats sound great using the 105D in your opinion.

Bill

toilet_doctor likes this.
  10. toilet_doctor

About SACD playback: difference in between CD and SACD layers of hybrid SACDs and Single Layer SACD vs. Reg. CD with the same mastering, played by Oppo 105D, is subtle. I don't know really, if this is its weakest or strongest point (you're right). Because I didn't conducted any farther tests.

About Blu-ray Audio and DVD-A playback: I liked what I heard but I didn't compare with anything else that's why I can't come to conclusion. High-End industry do not offer much Universal players. Mac (around $6,5K; discontinued product now, BTW) was only one I spent a lot of time with and I liked his Blu-ray-A and DVD-A performance too, but not SACD one, which I compared to my own Cary 360 Pro side-by-side and Cary knocked it off. It's a shame, but there is nothing much that industry can offer now - everyone is building the DACs.

To manipulate what I said before we can say: The strongest point of Oppo 105D in Blu-ray/DVD Audio playback is that it has no real competition. This kind of sarcasm can be true or not and needs to be verified.

11. toilet_doctor

This only review on basic version I could fine:

Pete's Write: OPPO BDT-101Ci review »

Pricing:

"MSRP $399 (includes 2 ch audio out)

7.1 MCH analog audio out --- MSRP $99 (NOTE2 CH BOARD COMES OUT AND
    GOES BACK TO DEALER "IS THE RULE") or $149 MSRP (Customer keeps 2 ch board)

Addition HDMI OUT MSRP $199 (?)
    HD BaseT OUT. MSRP $299
    Can't have both one or the other.

No Darbee Vision in this model.

It is MAP (Minimum Advertised Price) It was made very clear if you sell for less and get caught you are "done".

Mike Miles (ICR | Home based AV Business -[email protected] (Dealer))

12. olschl

olschl Forum Resident

I picked up an Oppo DV-980H about a year ago as a cheap way to see if SACD was worth it. Paid $65. I discovered that SACD was worth it, and DVD-A and HDCD are, too.
    I have compared the CD layer of hybrids played on a NAD C546BEE (which I like better as a CD player than the Oppo) with the SACD layer played on the Oppo. Not exactly what Toilet_Dr was saying, but an even tougher test. Just listening to music or using the Chesky Test Disc 2, the Oppo in SACD easily bests the NAD in CD.
    I know the DV-980H has a lame transport and, since my collection of SACDs, DVD-As, and HDCDs has grown I am looking to upgrade. Since I will only be using the unit for 2 channel audio (mid-fi receiver, no XLR, hi-fi speakers) I would love to avoid paying for all the video features I will never use. A 105 without Darbee would be perfect. The 101 may be the next best thing. It's cheaper in its analog only form than the 95s I am seeing on eBay. But without more reviews or a reasonable return policy, I lack the courage at this time to call a custom installer who will most likely blow me off. I could get a Marantz SA8004. They seem overpriced, but at least all the money is going to audio. I'd also have to keep the 980 for formats it doesn't play.

Shawn, did you ever try Best Buy? They don't come up in my zip.

13. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I'd be inclined to go with Marantz SA8004. Below is a link to Hi-Fi Shark for listings of SA8004.

Used Marantz SA8004 SACD players for Sale | Hifi Shark, Second Hand Hifi Insight »

14. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

I have a BDT-101CI in house now. One nice thing about it vs. the 103/D units is the front panel display is centered on the unit, below the tray opening. But more importantly, the front panel buttons are bigger, and have a more tactile feel than the ones on the 103/D.

If you don't need streaming apps, and are not going to use the analog outputs, then it's a great player.

15. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I just feel the 103 is the better player to buy over the 101CI. Even if one won't be using all the features of the 103 it would be the much choice especially when considering resale value. The 103 in my opinion would hold it's value and be much easier to sell than the 101CI.

16. olschl

olschl Forum Resident

Yeah. I've had my eye on that one. Can US Audio Mart be trusted?
    I am trying to wait until after the local AK meet on Saturday. Maybe I'll learn something. We'll be visiting an Ayre dealer after our own demos. I can only dream.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.