OPPO HA-1 Headphone Amplifier

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by SamS, Oct 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. james

james Summon The Queen

that makes sense. i always forget Benchmark is made in the US. I'd like to hear their DAC/PRE > Amp combo some day.

2. SamS

SamS Forum Legend Thread Starter

PhantomStranger likes this.
  3. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

Thanks.

"The left channel's output was 0.2 dB higher than the right channel."

Small difference in output level, but slightly disappointing

Last edited: May 16, 2014
  4. SamS

Appears to be a slight error in that Secrets review. The HA-1 supports both 32/352.8 and 32/384 for bit/sampling frequencies (via USB DAC), where the review indicates 24-bit only.

5. 80sjunkie

80sjunkie Forum Resident

So, has anyone gotten one of these, and what are your impressions?

6. A difference that small can be chalked up to measurement error, or maybe an out-of-spec part. I seriously doubt that (minuscule) difference is endemic to the circuit. I've been listening to the HA-1 for many months and haven't heard any volume discrepancy between channels.

7. Reese

Reese Just because some watery tart threw a sword!

And is likely less than the discrepancy between channels in recordings or your ears. It is nice to have a balance control so you can make it sound right no matter what is a fault.

8. 80sjunkie

80sjunkie Forum Resident

Back in stock in black and silver currently.

9. Jim T

Jim T Forum Resident

10. wgb113

wgb113 Forum Resident

Torn...can anyone comment on how it compares to the 105 as a DAC and as a headphone amp? Those are the only two features I need and for $100 the 105 wouldn't be a bad transport as well. The HA-1 would replace a Schiit Gungnir/Asgard 2 combo.

Bill

11. SamS

See post #52.

12. wgb113

wgb113 Forum Resident

Do you think that's mainly the headphone amp/DAC or combination of the two contributing to the difference in sound?

Bill

13. SamS

More amp than DAC, as the DACs are the same.

Billy Budapest likes this.
  14. Metralla

Nice. I think we can conclude that there is variation between units. The above traces are very good.

15. Jerry Horne

Jerry Horne WYWH (1975-2025)

I'm going to get the HA-1 in the next few days. It will be for my bedroom setup:

Cambridge Sonata Ar-30 receiver
    OPPO BDP-103
    PSB Imagine Mini speakers
    LG LCD TV
    Sennheiser HD-595 Headphone

My OPPO 103 is connected to the Cambridge via analog. (I don't think the Ar-30 has digital in)

My main question is this: Should I use the coaxial or optical audio out from my 103 to the HA-1? Will my headphones be compatible?

Should I now run analog audio out from my HA-1 into my Cambridge? (103 into HA-1 into Ar-30 - for listening to PSB speakers)

16. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

Try both. Common truism is that coaxial can yield better sound. I've found optical can equal or better coaxial in some applications. System dependent perhaps.

17. Jerry Horne

I'd like to buy one or the other to save money ;)

I have optical in the house. Maybe I should find a place that will let me return the coaxial if I don't like it.

18. SamS

I have the HA-1, and am using all of the inputs:

Optical: Raspberry Pi Squeezebox music player
    Coax: OPPO BDP-105D (redundant, at this point)
    AES/EBU: Logitech Transporter Squeezebox
    RCA: PS Audio GCPH Phono pre-amp
    XLR: OPPO BDP-105D - for SACD/hirez and anything else that can't come out of coax.

I haven't noticed any appreciable sound difference between the digital inputs. I like optical for my Raspberry Pi, as the whole unit is relatively noisey, and optical should mitigate some of that noise.

Jerry Horne likes this.
  19. Jerry Horne

So if I'm playing an SACD in my OPPO 103 through the HA-1 via Coax it won't be hi-rez?

20. Welly Wu

Welly Wu Active Member

This is my second choice. I've read a few reviews of it with the AKG K 701/702 and Sennheiser HD-800. I plan to request an in home audition from my local authorized Oppo dealer this weekend. I want to compare it to the Sennheiser HD-DVD 800 side by side. I only heard it briefly at my local dealer using both headphones and it sounded a bit colored especially with the HD-800. High resolution material sounded great even 32 bit 384 kHz. It's a fairly complex product with plenty of options to choose from for input sources. It gave the HD-800 a more romantic and full-bodied sound especially in the deep bass. It isn't strictly neutral or transparent in tone. I liked the combination, but only if I wanted sonic coloration.

21. Metralla

I would say no. Only certain manufacturers have the licence to transmit DSD like that - Meitner, dCS etc.

22. Jerry Horne

So, how do I listen to hi-res from from my OPPO through the HA-1's?

I have some 24/96 music on WAV files on a USB stick. If I plug that right into the HA-1's will it be hi-res?

23. Metralla

Sorry, I was only responding to the SACD question

24. Jerry Horne

Damn. Should have got the OPPO 105 for those XLR outputs.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.