OPPO HA-1 Headphone Amplifier

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by SamS, Oct 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SamS

SamS Forum Legend Thread Starter

You will get no sound, at all. Unless you're listening to the CD layer of a hybrid SACD, which defeats the purpose.

No, the front USB won't support files on a USB stick. Your best best is to plug that into the 103, and feed the 103 analog RCA outputs in the HA-1.

2. SamS

If you've had the 103 less than 30 days, send it back. If more than 30 days, you can probably sell it for a minimal loss.

3. Jerry Horne

Jerry Horne WYWH (1975-2025)

Alas over 30 days.

4. Jerry Horne

So, just to confirm, the only way to play an SACD in full hi-res on an HA-1 is with XLR to XLR? There's just no way with my 103?

And I'll be hearing true 24/96? Thanks.

5. SamS

Use RCA outputs from 103 to the HA-1.

Yes.

Jerry Horne likes this.
  6. Jerry Horne

Sorry to be so thick, but I thought the 103 lacked analog out?

7. Jerry Horne

Or I could swap out my OPPO 103 for my 93 in my media room for analog out that should get me true SACD sound through my HA-1's?

8. Welly Wu

Welly Wu Active Member

http://headfonics.com/2014/07/the-ha-1-headphone-dacamp-by-oppo/

I agree with some of the points made here that the Oppo HA-1 is not strictly neutral in tone. They way that the Saber 9018 DAC is implemented gives it a bit of coloration and the Oppo team that designed the HA-1 admit to this fact. Still, it's not a bad pairing with neutral headphones; it's important to realize that this product's other strengths are considerable for the affordable price point. It's much more versatile than the HD-DVD 800 and it can handle 32 bit 384 kHz source material especially if you have the option to use balanced XLR headphones like the HD-800. It's not the most synergistic combination with the HD-800 or even the AKG K 812 Pro, but it's not bad either.

When I heard it at Audio Connection, the HA-1 sounded pretty decent with the K 702 and HD-800 because it gave these sterile headphones a fuller and bolder sound especially in the low bass region. I'd describe it as sounding plumper with less texture and more body to notes. It's something that you'll notice right away with the HA-1 compared to other headphone amplifiers or DACs. The HA-1 is more forgiving and it's more fun to listen to. Dynamic range is excellent with power to spare to drive a wide variety of headphones, but it lacks the ability to pivot between softer and louder sounds with precision compared to the HD-DVD 800. It's a sound signature that takes time to appreciate, but the HA-1 would not be my first choice for accuracy or neutrality. It does have that you are there sound presence especially with high resolution material. The added warmth and full-bodied bass makes for a more energetic listening session.

Between the HD-DVD 800 and the HA-1, the differences are minor to quibble about. I'd say that they are competitive.

Mr Bass likes this.
  9. Welly Wu

Welly Wu Active Member

It's important to note that the Oppo PM-1 and HA-1 were designed to work together. I heard this combination at my local audio dealer and it was sublime. I'd argue that they belong together rather than trying them with different audio components. They are not the most accurate and neutral combination, but they get very close for a fraction of the prices offered by other headphone manufacturers. This combination puts a smile on my face. It's good for critical listening sessions and it's also good for just getting immersed in the music. I'd say that the PM-1 and HA-1 produce 90 percent of the sound with the Sennheiser HD-800 and HD-DVD 800 for a fraction of the cost combined. It's the second best pairing that I've heard so far. Had I not gotten my HD-800s and opted for the PM-1, then the HA-1 would be my next logical choice. If you already have either the PM-1 or HA-1, then get the other one and be done with it. HD Tracks 24 bit 192 kHz FLAC files sound magical together.

10. TimM

TimM Senior Member

It lacks analog video, but not analog audio.

Jerry Horne likes this.
  11. Jerry Horne

Oh right! Duh. More coffee please.

12. Jerry Horne

Alright, so I'm the proud owner of the HA-1 in black. I'll no doubt have a few questions, many of which will pretty basic to most of you (I hope)

Right now I have the unit hooked up to my OPPO BDP-103 via optical and analog (RCA) I'm playing my Pink Floyd Wish You Were Here hi-res Blu-Ray disc. Under the 103 menu, should I have it set to Bitstream or LPCM (48, 96 or 192)? Also, whichever I choose (whilst in optical) the HA-1 says PCM 48/16. Is this right?

Ham Sandwich likes this.
  13. Russell Weston

Russell Weston Forum Resident

Bitstream is for Blu Ray. Dolby, dts, etc. Pcm should be used for music.

14. Claude

Claude Senior Member

That's a consequence of copyprotection restriction with S/PDIF output from Blu-ray (and Blu-ray only). If you play hi-rez files, you'll get 24/96 (not sure optical supports 192kHz, but coaxial does).

15. SamS

The highest you'll get from a Blu-ray video disc from optical or coax is 24/48.

16. Jerry Horne

Playing a BluRay movie under optical I hear nothing under Bitstream but I do with lpcm. Should I just go analog with Dvd's?

17. Smarty-pants

Smarty-pants New Member

I have an HA-1 that I plan of putting in my office once I get the time to properly set it up.
    I also am going to use an Oppo player for when I want to listen to optical discs.
    Since I already knew about the restriction for higher resolution audio over SPDIF,
    I sought out to see if there was a better solution.
    I came to find out about de-embedders, and how you can use one to feed HDMI into it,
    and the SPDIF out of it and into the HA-1 while also losing the restrictions for SPDIF.
    I have yet to buy a de-embedder, but it is on the short list.
    Here is an article that will help define how it works with reviews of a few units that are (much to my surprise) very affordable.

http://everythingaudionetwork.blogspot.com/2013/04/audiophile-review-hdmi-de-embedder.html

18. Jerry Horne

Here's my question. In order to get the best sound, what settings should I use for my BDP-103 (from the audio format setup menu) & HA-1 (I have analog, Optical and Coax) for:

-Compact Disc

-SACD

-Blu-Ray audio

-Blu-Ray

-Beatles Apple USB stick

-USB stick with hi rez 24/96 WAV files

19. CarterB

CarterB Well-Known Member

In similar boat as the above, I have a 103 and HA-1 (and PM-2) newly aquired. I hooked the SPIF out between the 103 and HA-1 and setup the coax to the 192k LPCM. My high res files (including a 176/24) play well via a USB stick on the 103. However, my DSD downloads on the same stick give no output while they used to play fine via HDMI to my non-DSD receiver. Thus, I feel like the 103 is capable of converting the DSD to some level level of PCM but won't for the coax output. Any ideas?

Second thing I've seen is the Bluetooth app on my iPad (made for iPhone, natch) is very chatty about the HA-- being turned on and off which seems silly.

Finally, one annoyance I haven't seem mentioned elsewhere is the HA-1 doesn't mute the preamp outs when headphones are plugged in (I'm using the HA-1 as an easy preamp for my lo-fi room speakers). Thankfully my amp's power is easily reached.

20. SamS

Use analog/RCA outputs of the BDP-103.

This behavior is normal. You'll want to use analog/RCA outputs of the 103 to feed the HA-1 if you want to listen to DSD.

Bluetooth can be a bit finicky!

See page 18 of the HA-1 manual. Sounds like you'll want to engage the Mute button all the time. This will allow for headphone volume control, but not sound from the pre-amp outputs.

CarterB likes this.
  21. Jerry Horne

So I should never choose Coax or Optical?

Actually my question was two part. For the sources I mentioned (Compact Disc, SACD, Blu-Ray audio, Blu-Ray, Beatles Apple USB stick & USB stick with hi rez 24/96 WAV files) what settings should I choose for each in my 103 (Bitstream or lpcm 48, 96 or 192) and what is the best input for each? (Analog, Coax or Optical)

Last edited: Aug 13, 2014
  22. SamS

Well, it depends. You can, of course. But with the restrictions detailed below.

Actually my question was two part. For the sources I mentioned (Compact Disc, SACD, Blu-Ray audio, Blu-Ray, Beatles Apple USB stick & USB stick with hi rez 24/96 WAV files) what settings should I choose for each in my 103 (Bitstream or lpcm 48, 96 or 192) and what is the best input for each? (Analog, Coax or Optical)[/QUOTE]

You're not going to get audio output from SACDs (DSD stereo/multichannel layers) from either optical or coax. Blu-ray audio will be limited to 24/48 PCM, even if it is 24/96 or higher sample rate. I can't remember all the restrictions for the optical/coax out when using USB stick input.

If you're listening mainly to CDs, then you might find the optical/coax digital output of the 103 fed into the HA-1 provides for better sound, than using the analog outputs, into the HA-1.

Analog out from the 103 will always work .

23. Jerry Horne

You're not going to get audio output from SACDs (DSD stereo/multichannel layers) from either optical or coax. Blu-ray audio will be limited to 24/48 PCM, even if it is 24/96 or higher sample rate. I can't remember all the restrictions for the optical/coax out when using USB stick input.

If you're listening mainly to CDs, then you might find the optical/coax digital output of the 103 fed into the HA-1 provides for better sound, than using the analog outputs, into the HA-1.

Analog out from the 103 will always work .[/QUOTE]

Thanks. Ok, let's stick to CD's. I seem to prefer the Coax input. From the 103, should I go Bitstream or LPCM 48, 96 or 192?

24. SamS

That setting is not applicable to CDs.

25. Jerry Horne

Thanks!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.