Oppo HA-2 Dac Headphone Amp $299

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by spotlightkid, Feb 23, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. spotlightkid

spotlightkid Senior Member Thread Starter

2. JackJD

JackJD All I Want is the Truth...

They should include this with the purchase of an HA-1; to sweeten the punch!

Perhaps they should also consider making some discounted "bundles"- PM-1 & HA-1, etc. for $x (15-30% discount)... Or perhaps this stuff is selling well enough at the present price-point that bundled prices are not necessary for Oppo.

A deal-price "bundle" would certainly interest me enough to consider a purchase of the higher-end pieces.

:wave:

3. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

I need to get a listen to the HA-2. It certainly looks like it has the goods.

Oppo also has the PM-3 closed headphone on the way. Should be available within a month. $399 for a closed orthodynamic suitable for portable use. It has me very interested.
    https://www.oppodigital.com/headphones-pm-3/

4. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

Thanks for the link. I know what I am saving my lunch money for now!

5. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Looks impressive, and the price is right.
    [​IMG]

6. gloomrider

gloomrider Well-Known Member

Just got mine today. Listening to Redbook classical upsampled to DSD in HQ Player. I don't think Pono has anything to worry about, but this is a pretty good sounding little DAC/amp.

Mostly liking the MFi capability. A much better solution for iPhones and even iPod Classic (which works great!).

Ham Sandwich likes this.
  7. CrimsonKink

CrimsonKink Forum Resident

So... with a few months under it's belt Pono vs. HP-2 listening, you still vote Pono?

8. gloomrider

No doubt. I still firmly believe the HA-2 is simply the best portable "Made For iDevice" DAC for the money (Centrance has a higher end model) . But in a pure sound quality bake off using the same files, the Pono wins. YMMV of course.

9. CrimsonKink

Thanks for the quick response. I just lost my Pono and debating whether to replace or try another solution. Was very happy with the way it sounded, not totally thrilled with some other aspects.

10. gloomrider

The HA-2/iDevice combo is not as portable as the Pono IMHO. Pono had a very steep challenge to make a device that sounded better than any DAPs at its price point but at the same time, delivering a "modern" (or post-iPod) User eXperience. The UX suffered in some areas (my Pono takes like 6 minutes to boot), but the sound quality remained.

The HA-2 has an edge over the Pono when the headphone impedance goes over 100 ohms (or so) in my experience.

11. LEONPROFF

LEONPROFF Forum Resident

In balanced mode the Pono is hard to beat. That being said, the HA-2 sounds incredible hooked to my Macbook. There is room for both in my life.

12. CrimsonKink

Agree on the balanced mode- that made quite a difference. What headphones are you guys running? I'm using Oppo PM-3 primarily, which is one reason the HA-2 appeals- presumably it mates well.

13. LEONPROFF

LEONPROFF Forum Resident

Senn Hd650 and Grado 325e (not balanced.

14. Pancat

Pancat Senior Member

I use the HA2 with my old ipod classic and pm3s and this combo sounds excellent.

15. sharedon

sharedon Forum Zonophone

A heads up: owners of the HA-2 should hold off on using iOS 9.3 (beta versions are out there) on their devices because there's an issue with it resulting in distorted audio. OPPO says: "iOS 9.3 will introduce random distortion from any source. This did not occur with iOS 9.2. We are looking into the issue as well and may have to release our own hot fix to resolve it if Apple is not able to do so on their end."

bru87tr, Luckless Pedestrian and SamS like this.
  16. sharedon

sharedon Forum Zonophone

Now fixed!!

17. Fixed on Apple's end or Oppo's?

18. sharedon

sharedon Forum Zonophone

I'm not sure, tbh.

19. soundQman

soundQman Senior Member

Apple had updated to 9.3.1 for the iOS recently. Maybe that version addressed it, I don't know.

20. billnunan

billnunan Forum Resident

My Oppo HA-2 works well with my iTouch (5th gen), iPod Classic and iPhone 5s.

Very happy with it!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.