Oppo Sonica DAC Being Dropped

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Standingstones, Mar 9, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wolfram

wolfram Slave to the rhythm

As a streamer, yes, it doesn't support gapless playback. But there's always the option to use it as a traditional DAC, using one of the digital inputs.

David Johnson likes this.
  2. Mike-48

Mike-48 A shadow of my former self

Yes, gapless playback depends on the server software . . . but I don't know of any that doesn't support it, now in 2018 or for years before. The UPnP protocol may have a few dark corners, but there are specific commands to enable gapless. As a result, the vast majority of stream receivers (renderers) support gapless playback flawlessly.

Oppo is in the small minority of vendors who perpetuate this problem. My guess is that Oppo views streaming as a box-checking exercise to expand the claimed a feature set, and thus they have never bothered to update their flawed circuitry to more modern chipsets that work properly. Perhaps only a few of their customers use the devices for streaming.

3. cdash99

cdash99 Senior Member

Which makes their decision to discontinue Tidal access more unfortunate, and is why I’ve stayed with the 100 series players. My setup and day to day lifestyle make it impractical to run a MQA capable streamer into a newly purchased 200 series player.

4. Polyphenol

Polyphenol Forum Resident

My Oppo Sonica DAC has no gapless playback via USB connection. The gapless playback thing is the only thing I dislike at this DAC!

Hope the news here is fake news and hope they will provide a software update for gapless playback eventually (but I fear it's not fake news at all).

5. Sevoflurane

Sevoflurane Forum Resident

Wow. The HA2 manages gapless over USB so I guess I assumed the Sonica would do so as well. Sorry. It would annoy the hell out me too!

6. Standingstones

Standingstones Forum Resident Thread Starter

This is not fake news. Go and look at Oppo’s website. There is no Sonica listed. There won’t be any further software updates. You can bet on that. You will need to move to some other product if you want gapless play.

7. Mike-48

It shows up when I go to the Oppo site and is listed as for sale at $799.

8. BIGGER Dave

BIGGER Dave Forum Resident

You’re probably seeing a cached page. I don’t see it listed in the “Store”, but if I google “Oppo Sonica DAC”, it takes me to an old page with a ‘Buy’ button that ultimately points here:

We're Sorry ...
    Something has gone wrong.

We've recently redesigned our website and some things may not be working right just yet. If you need further assistance, click here to contact us.

9. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

The Sonica DAC has two different USB connections on the back. A USB Audio connection and a USB Host connection. The USB Audio connection is how you connect a computer, just like how you connect a computer with the HA2. That type of USB connection is going to be gapless (assuming the computer is running media player software that is capable of doing gapless, and almost all are). The USB Host connection is how you connect a USB thumb drive or hard drive and have the Sonica play songs that are stored on the thumb drive or hard drive. That type of USB playback may or may not be gapless. I don't know. I've never tried the Sonica. The network streaming using DLNA is not gapless on the Oppos. The network DLNA streaming not being gapless is what most people are complaining about.

10. Mike-48

Maybe the Cambridge CXN v2 would be a good substitute for the Oppo. It has about the same price, great reviews and reputation, and the streamer actually works.

11. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Why? If the Sonica DAC will no longer be sold I'd think the prices might be close to retail but not "real cheap". Oppo gear retains very good resale value.

12. Kristofa

Kristofa Enthusiast of small convenient sound carrier units

It has AirPlay as well, which is great for Apple users. I wish they would change that horrid Basement Jaxx cover on their ad for it. It has been like that since forever!

13. Blue Gecko

Blue Gecko Peace

I hope the OP doesn't consider this thread crap, but does anyone have have any thoughts on a replacement product that is audio focused? Auralic seem to be making good network streamers. Are they up to the Oppo quality level? Would anyone on the HF consider any of the Auralic models as a replacement for the Oppo. I guess I was looking at the Sonica unit as a network streamer with a higher quality DAC... now I'm looking for a replacement.

14. Agitater

Agitater Forum Resident

I own the Auralic Aries. It’s a superb streamer that competes head-to-head with Lumin, Aurender and many others. The Aries also features USB output, so it will stream everything including DSD to your DAC of choice. I prefer the Auralic control app over BluOS, Oppo, Lumin, Aurender and several other apps.

Blue Gecko likes this.
  15. Kristofa

Which one do you own? G2, LE, or mini?

16. Agitater

Agitater Forum Resident

I own what I posted. The Aries - not the Aries LE or the Aries Mini or the Aries G2 Transporter. So, full size Aries, full size external power supply, no internal DAC, no storage.

17. Kristofa

Thanks

18. Dr Tone

Dr Tone Forum Resident

The Auralic stuff is in a completely different league when it comes to streaming. There is no comparison. An example: Oppo doesn't support gapless playback when streaming.

Blue Gecko likes this.
  19. Blue Gecko

Blue Gecko Peace

I'll take a look at the Auralic product line tomorrow at a dealer. It seems some of their models come with a linear power supply which seems like a good idea for a streamer. As metioned above, I prefer the model to have a good DAC verses buying another item. Thank you.

20. cordobaman

cordobaman Rich Corinthian Leather

Auralic Altair has a DAC and the ability to add an internal SSD or hard drive.

Blue Gecko likes this.
  21. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

I have an Oppo 105 and when using the USB port to play FLAC files, I have to select the tracks that require gapless playback, push the Options button on the remote, then select Gapless Playback. So, it's not really a "problem" but it isn't automatic. Does the 205 require a similar approach with its USB inputs?

Sevoflurane likes this.
  22. Sevoflurane

Sevoflurane Forum Resident

The gapless function on the 103D works just fine (using it right now playing the 96K/24 bit Steven Wilson remix of Brave by Marillion from a USB hard drive). I think the original issue described in the thread was with gapless playback on the Sonica.

23. Dr Tone

Dr Tone Forum Resident

Not sure why when mentioning gapless doesn't work streaming to an Oppo, owners feel they need to jump in and defend it by discuss playing back from attached USB drives. Attached USB drive isn't streaming.

24. Dr Tone

Dr Tone Forum Resident

It's an inherent problem with DLNA. It's hard to get right so most just give up.

25. Mike-48

Sorry, that is just wrong. I have run streaming systems for years and helped others set them up. DLNA is not perfect, but it has defined commands that support gapless streaming just fine. A few manufacturers have used a lousy chipset that doesn't support those commands. The ONLY manufacturer I know of that doesn't support gapless in its current streaming products in 2018 is Oppo.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.