Oppo UDP-205 Announced

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by ti-triodes, Dec 19, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bgf1973

Bgf1973 Forum Resident

I have not found a thread about 203. I would use the analog output for audio. I am interested in 4K too for the future

Last edited: Apr 11, 2017
  2. Guss2

Guss2 Senior Member

Perfect opportunity to start a 203 thread, as I'd like other input on this as well.

Bgf1973 likes this.
  3. toddrhodes

toddrhodes Forum Resident

4. Litejazz53

Litejazz53 Perfect Sound Through Crystal Clear Digital

What are these Modright modifications costing these days, about $2,500.00 ?

5. roboss38

roboss38 Forum Resident

Yes. A couple times a year Dan discounts the mods by 20%.

6. Litejazz53

One thing you can be real sure of. If you choose the Esoteric, you will, without question get a much higher selling price when the time comes for you to sell it and change or upgrade. You just loose big on modified products, unfortunately. It's better to start off with a better product than make a product better afterwards.

scobb likes this.
  7. Litejazz53

Is there going to be a 205-D??

8. scobb

scobb Forum Resident

That would be for one very big woman?

9. Litejazz53

The UDP-205's aesthetics are first class, basically cleaner than my 105-Darby, however we are forced to give up so much and pay an extra $100.00 according to Oppo. It appears the "do everything" player is now gone for good. I would assume the streaming electronics in the Oppo 105-D have to be better than what is found in the Roku, Vizio, Netgear or any of the other media streaming devices, not to mention the inconvenience of more plastic boxes! So, what we loose to gain a new SABRE chip, we loose Netflix, a big one for me, Rhapsody, Tidal, Vudu, Cinema Now, YouTube, Pandora, and for the classical lovers, Berliner Philharmoniker, which offer fantastic concerts. Finally, no more HD decoding for all those great Reference Recording Keith Johnson discs. Wow, maybe all the good stuff will be brought back on the UDP-205 Mk II !

Last edited: Apr 12, 2017
    Majestyk likes this.
  10. GregM

GregM The expanding man

I'd better resist this or my entire tax refund will go up in smoke. How much do used BDP-95's go for these days?

Linger63 likes this.
  11. Litejazz53

$639.00 on Amazon. Here is an interesting tidbit. The Darby picture enhancement that improves Netflix and other streamed programs, that is so effective on the 105-D is not offered at this time on the new 205 model. So upon closer scrutinizing, the 105-D just seems to be a very good choice, if they can be found, and certainly a great reason to keep the one you have as that Darby picture enhancement is fantastic with pictures that are not as good as they could be, I keep mine set on about 87% all the time, and there is such a difference in the picture, it's so much sharper. The Darby chip improves all video from all sources, mine is never off! Oppo simply said the chip set is currently not available for the Darby enhancement at this time on the new 205, but could be in the future, as the product evolves, again, possibly on the UDP-205 MK II?

12. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I'd go with the 105 or the 105D over the 95.

Bill

Litejazz53 likes this.
  13. Litejazz53

I agree 150%, however he may pay even more than full price, especially for a 105D. Oppo has no 105D players, not one. I assumed "wrongly" that Oppo would continue to carry the 105 and 105-D. I don't think I have ever, in the history of audio/video, have ever seen any company sell out of a particular product so quickly. I remember when people were seeking the Sony 5400 SACD player, that product stayed around after production was ceased for a few years, not so with the 105 and 105D, now gone, and selling for top dollar on EBay. Darn, wish I had purchased about 10 of these, better than a good stock purchase! Get that 105-D, NOW, while you can still get one, I have been in this boat before! Since 4K upgrades cannot be seen on larger televisions when sitting several feet back from the screen, and the Darby enhancement can absolutely be seen, it's unfortunate customers will have to give that up on the new model. Silly question, why could they have not just produced the 205 with the streaming functions, with the new top of the line SABRE chip and the Darby enhancement, I'm sure many customers would have paid more for it, but again, this is why the Mk II designation has been commonly seen on products. Heck, we should take a vote on this, how many people would have paid a few hundred dollars more for a new player exactly like the 105 and 105-D with the new SABRE chip? I think everyone expected the new player to be more expensive than it's going to be anyway. :agree:

14. Cliff

Cliff Magic Carpet Man

An email I received from Oppo about this very question...

Cliff,

There will not be, no. The reason for this is that Darbee does not yet have a working solution that can take a UHD signal and the cost of implementing it, once it is available, will likely be too high for us to integrate it into our players.

Best Regards,

Customer Service
    OPPO Digital, Inc.
    162 Constitution Dr.
    Menlo Park, CA 94025
    [email protected]
    Tel: 650-961-1118
    Fax: 650-961-1119

15. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

The prices of the 105/105D are definitely going to be higher than the 95. I guess it depends if one needs the digital inputs (coaxial, optical and USB DAC), HDMI input, additional USB input and headphone output. The other factor that was huge for me is that the 105/105D does not have a cooling fan. I had two 95s in my system at different times and the cooling fan was audible from 7' away.

Litejazz53 likes this.
  16. Cliff

Cliff Magic Carpet Man

I think when the 205 hits the market, the 105/105D used market will take a dip. It may be temporary but that will be the best time to buy IMO. I'll be selling my 105D in that time frame. I just hope the analog audio outs in the 205 are at least as good as my 105D's.

On a side note... What exactly do you mean by your statement that's in bold above?

Litejazz53 likes this.
  17. Litejazz53

Hi Cliff, I thought someone might ask that. I actually found this information and posted for others to read. After reading this, it stopped my 4K purchase for a while, as I have 1080 capability at this time, and the 4K sets are still priced where new technology sets are priced, which will come down. Yes, there is image improvement over 1080, but, according to this information, that improvement is only seen when sitting very close to the screen, and in my situation, I do not sit 2-3 feet from my screen. If you will notice, all advertisements are always shown inches from the screen, where improvements can be seen, good promotional stuff indeed. As an example, and in my case, I have a 60" television. If you refer to the chart, you will see if seating is further than 8'0", you simply will not see the added resolution. In my case I'm approximately 12' back from my 60" screen. Bottom line, does this mean I will never purchase a 4K set, absolutely not, as I want the best, BUT, it certainly has slowed my purchase for sure. My view is the improvement is not a live or die thing, I can be happy with 1080 for a little longer. Finally my age has kicked in, and I am not as impulsive as I used to be, same thing with my 105-D, for now, I'm waiting for the 205 Mk II. So, here is the information I posted a few days ago, thanks for the question.

4k vs 1080p and upscaling: Is UHD worth the upgrade?

18. Cliff

Cliff Magic Carpet Man

Got ya. I can say, without a doubt, the difference is huge on my screen. I upgraded a 65" Panny VT30 Plasma to a 65" Samsung S8000 4k TV. Not only do I see colors that I've never seen on a TV before, but the picture can be like looking out a window. Most obvious during city panning scenes where there are TONS of fine details. HDR is absolutely killer too.... This TV is the best set I've ever bought. And it's also the cheapest at ~$1800. My Panny was over $3k when I bought it 4 years ago and that was the cheapest set I had ever bought to that point. TVs have been on a steep decline (price-wise) for some time now. I am very happy with buying into 4k/HDR technology. The only bummer is I don't listen to as many records as I used to.

Bill Mac and ti-triodes like this.
  19. ti-triodes

ti-triodes Senior Member Thread Starter

Agree 100%. I got 2 OLED's in the last couple of months and the difference in PQ is startling. And we're not even talking about HDR. There's extra resolution and extended color gamut in a 4K screen that I've never seen before. I've had Plasma and top of the line FALD LCD's and they don't even come close. 4K is spectacular.

Bill Mac and Cliff like this.
  20. Litejazz53

Ok question for Cliff and ti-tri, are you seeing this increased picture quality on all material, as some material is 720, some is 1080 and honestly, I'm not sure what is 4K??? What do you have that is providing native 4K material, I either do not know how to get that level of picture quality, or it's not being offered. I have AT&T Uverse where I am now. What in the world are you looking at on a daily basis that is so darn high def? I looked up your Samsung 65", wow, what a beautiful television, my mouth is watering! :righton:

21. Litejazz53

Well, I might have answered my own question, but your beautiful TV purchase got me all hot and bothered. So, here is the first article I viewed, and when it says fast Internet connection, I'm not sure just how fast they are talking about?? It is interesting to see that if your TV is an ultra high resolution 4K set, which I thought was the best, your only about 1/2 way to the top of the mountain, the newest thing is High Dynamic Range, (HDR), which you must make sure your new set has, which is not concerned with pixels but is all about brightness and contrast and being more closely associated with what our eyes see in real life, so if it's not HDR, your not there yet. This technology just moves much too fast.

4K content guide: What to watch in 4K and HDR today

22. Cliff

Cliff Magic Carpet Man

Newer TVs have a bunch of great apps built in. That's why I don't care about Oppo dis-continuing theirs. It's always better to have your TV stream anything to do with video anyway. Netflix has a fair amount of 4k HDR material to stream. And it looks amazing. OLED (as ti-trodes has) looks even better. But Amazon also has some 4k. There's stuff on youtube in 4k HDR. And many other apps with at least some UHD content. For 1080i (or less) Directv looks a LOT better than it did through my Panny Plasma. More vivid colors, far better contrast, etc. Blue-rays (especially animated films like Ice Age) are stunning through the 105D and Samsung. It almost seems like higher resolution than 1080p even though it's just up-converted.

23. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

OK you former plasma owners have piqued my interest :)! I have a Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma and have been waiting for OLED sets to become more affordable. I'd like to jump up to at least a 70" if that size is even available. I wonder if going from a 60" to a 65" is worthwhile? My apologies for the off topic discussion but if I get a 4k display then I'll definitely need to get one of the new Oppo 4k players!

24. scobb

scobb Forum Resident

I took a close look at the LG OLED models early last year and my findings were that the OLED technology was far more important than the 4k resolution, ie colours and blacks were much better than the LCD TV's available at the time. As a result I went for the 1080p model that was half the price and I have no complaints at all.... well except I had to get a curved screen because the other half insisted on it!

ti-triodes likes this.
  25. GregM

GregM The expanding man

Regarding the sub-thread on page 16 I may have started by asking about the cost of a BDP-95, I brought it up because if I decide to get the UDP-205 I'll be looking to sell my 95.

I agree with the point about Ultra HD vs 1080p. Unless you're sitting near your screen (like uncomfortably near), and the source material lends itself to the benefits of 4K production, there is really no point. It certainly isn't as dramatic as going to 1080p from NTSC, which I lived with for many decades. I'd rather focus on audio upgrades.

I'm also not needing the Oppo to provide streaming. I have a Tivo that can do that, and I'm more old school anyway, using optical formats and getting HDTV over the air.

Hope Oppo releases info on the 205 soon!

Litejazz53 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.