Oppo UDP-205 Announced

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by ti-triodes, Dec 19, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BSC

BSC Forum Resident

Strangely enough at one stage I had the same Esoteric player in my system alongside the 105 and I would come to the same conclusion. I would seriously consider selling your Esoteric and investing in a Bryston BDA-3 Dac and hear music at a much higher level...including SACD.

alan967tiger likes this.
  2. alan967tiger

alan967tiger Forum Resident

Thanks for the info - I'm interested so I'll PM you so as not to go too far off topic,

3. High Fidelity

High Fidelity Well-Known Member

Via HDMI 105 same sound as 103 as confirmed by Oppo

4. Pancat

Pancat Senior Member

But definitely not the same SQ from the RCA stereo-outs as the 105 has a superior DAC. This is the main reason for the price difference.

tmtomh and JediJoker like this.
  5. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

This is common knowledge that anyone familiar with audio and Oppo players is most definitely aware of. You never indicated when you owned the 93 and the 103 if you used analog or HDMI. So which one were you using?

JediJoker likes this.
  6. ti-triodes

ti-triodes Senior Member Thread Starter

I'm sort of running out of room where I can install new equipment. Does this look to be near the same height dimension as the 105? In either case, they both dwarf my 95.

7. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I'd guess that the 205 will be about the same size height wise as the 105/105D. Looking at the Oppo site it shows the 95 as being 4" and the 105D as 4.8".

tmtomh likes this.
  8. PMCH

PMCH Member

I just returned my new 203. I didn't realize that it can't stream anything such as Netflix, Pandora or Tidal. The new 205 is the same. I will be keeping my 105D since it does everything and I have never had a problem with it. I do disagree with others though, for when I wish to play a CD or SACD my Esoteric player sounds much better.

bluemooze, jamie anderson and Funky54 like this.
  9. David Johnson

David Johnson Forum Resident

Really, it doesn't have Netflix or Tidal?
    Surely there will be a firmware update.

If that is the case, I won't even consider it.
    I will look at something else or send my 105 out immediately to Modwright.

Funky54 likes this.
  10. PMCH

PMCH Member

No Tidal or Netflix for the 203 or 205. I spoke with customer service last night before I sent the 203 back and they told me there will be no firmware updates to change this. Oppo did make it easy for me to return the unit. They sent me a UPS prepaid label to return the unit so I am only out the original $17.00 shipping charge. I can't blame them that I didn't read all the specs or frequent questions before ordering.

11. David Johnson

What's their reason for this?
    You just didn't make my Christmas a happy season!

12. David Johnson

I wanted the newest DAC and definitely Tidal. Now if Tidal went belly up, that's a different subject. Nothing I can control there.

13. David Johnson

So what's my choices here.
    Esoteric, or a Modwrighted 105.
    Didn't really want to spend that much on a Esoteric, but with a Modwright and the cost of the Oppo, I'm almost there.
    Bummer!

14. David Johnson

So what's my choices here.
    Esoteric, or a Modwrighted 105.
    Didn't really want to spend that much on a Esoteric, but with a Modwright and the cost of the Oppo, I'm almost there.
    Bummer!

15. Guss2

Guss2 Senior Member

This has been talked about for months guys, c'mon. Disc optimized player!

16. Ozric

Ozric Senior Member

You got rid of a great disc player because it did not have Netflix ? Go buy a a $69 Apple TV for the streaming stuff and let the disc player do what it does best. With Netflix and such built into just about every TV and cheap device like Apple TV, I surly would not miss it in a Oppo 203-205. I have a Oppo 105 and never used it for streaming services, Apple TV does that for me just fine.

17. PMCH

PMCH Member

I use Netflix in my HT system more than anything else and don't spin discs that often, so for me the 105 works better. I really like the sound of my 105 for BluRay movies and concerts but not for 2 channel, I prefer a dedicated CD/SACD player for that.

jamie anderson and Sharp 1080 like this.
  18. Kristofa

Kristofa Enthusiast of small convenient sound carrier units

My OPPO BDP-93's software for Netflix etc. is so out of date, I haven't watched anything with them in years. I use the OPPO as a universal player--not a streaming device. I concur on the Apple TV for $70. More options (except no VUDU like OPPO has) and likely a longer update life.

honestly, I am happy Oppo is going to focus on other things than licenses for streaming services that are becoming as common as rabbit ears.

tmtomh likes this.
  19. High Fidelity

High Fidelity Well-Known Member

I only use HDMI my main system is the excellent Sony STR-DA5400ES AVR (UK version with HATS) & XA5400ES SACD player. Sony BDP-1000ES / BDP-760 (UK) BD player ,as I require a multi-region BD player I have just bought the Sony BDP-6500 ICOS modified looks very unsubstantial not hooked it up yet. If unsatisafactory despite not really interested in 4K will probably buy the forthcoming Sony 4K player due next spring definately no Oppos for me, non stop firmware, software issues.

jamie anderson likes this.
  20. Kristofa

Kristofa Enthusiast of small convenient sound carrier units

love It hiGh fidelity yor my favorite poster case you make complete sense all other posters posers OPPO is only wot they say they are who CARES! Rock on poster!

Move along

21. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

Don't you have another source with these apps? TV, etc?

22. ParanoidAndroid

ParanoidAndroid Forum Resident

:edthumbs: This was hilarious. Thank you!

Pancat likes this.
  23. BSC

BSC Forum Resident

Yes well I'm not physic -a bit unusual if you are interested in stereo reproduction and you don't use XLR or RCA and again we have no idea of your system but even an AV amp would surely take the 105's dedicated stereo outputs.

24. JediJoker

JediJoker Audio Engineer/Enthusiast

I don't, personally, aside from my TiVo Premiere HD, which is painfully slow and clunky. It's my only choice for Amazon, unfortunately. Not all of us have or want all the latest gadgets. My AVR doesn't even have digital inputs (Sony STR-GA8ES).

I'd also rather stream directly through a device I know delivers excellent sound and picture quality, like an Oppo player, rather than a cheap device like an Apple TV or an expensive, but non-confidence-inspiring smart TV.

25. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

I use my Sony TV and have used an Apple TV in the past. No issues with either, pictures are/were excellent.

I've owned smart TVs (okay, two!) for the last five years. New one last year (Sony KDL-40W705C) coast less than £400 as it was an outgoing model but former award winner. Can't fault it. Likewise PS3.

Amps I have less issue with, but connectivity is widely available and you needn't HAVE to buy the latest, or greatest, to achieve the functionality you need whether it's am amp, a TV or whatever. Oppo made the right move IMO.

Cambridge didn't bother with many apps on the 752 or CXU, and certainly not Netflix or Prime. Again, a wise choice IMO.

Linger63 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.