Oppo UDP-205 Announced

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by ti-triodes, Dec 19, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Also, although significantly more expensive than the Raspberry Pi solution, this is a really neat plug and play product and if you like Roon, it is Roon Ready:

Sonore - microRendu

BayouTiger and Jaap74 like this.
  2. Lovealego

Lovealego Senior Member

Hmmm well I was hoping to ditch the computer all together, and not add any more power cords. Doesn't seem like the oppo is a one stop shop for me. I guess I will have to invest in a newer mac mini. Can it feed the oppo USB dac in the 205 without much fuss?

I was so tired of keyboards and mouse and rebooting. I just want my music always ready to play and controlled with iPhones and iPads.

3. rbbert

rbbert Forum Resident

The microrendu will let you do this

4. Cliff

Cliff Magic Carpet Man

Good choice. The 205 is on par with the 105D for SQ. All you'd gain is UHD/HDR but you'll lose a lot of the features/streaming that you have with the 105D. Still, all that is worth it to me to have UHD. I have plenty of other devices capable of streaming. I'm going to miss being able to rip SACDs though :( I am going to assume they've fixed that loop-hole with these new iterations.

5. rbbert

rbbert Forum Resident

How do you know the 205 is on a par sonically with the 105D??

6. Cliff

Cliff Magic Carpet Man

Well, because I have both of them :laugh:

7. ti-triodes

ti-triodes Senior Member Thread Starter

We need analog comparisons! Get out those RCA cables. :agree:

Cliff likes this.
  8. ti-triodes

ti-triodes Senior Member Thread Starter

DV is not yet supported by the Oppo because Dolby hasn't worked out the final specs yet. But they will release a FW update as soon as they can. It was tentatively due at the end of April. AQ with DV should be on par with HDR-10 but DV is a video upgrade. Dolby Atmos is their latest audio codec.

9. rbbert

rbbert Forum Resident

That's a disappointment. A significantly more advanced DAC, a new chipset, and a couple of years more experience to design an analog output section and there is no improvement?

10. rbbert

rbbert Forum Resident

With a true balanced output stage, comparisons using XLR cables would be more appropriate

11. Cliff

Cliff Magic Carpet Man

Well, assuming I don't sell my 105D first, it will have to wait until my Krell is back from being serviced. But it's been 4 weeks already so I won't hold my breath.

12. rbbert

rbbert Forum Resident

How long did you have the 205 to compare when you were able to do so?

13. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

I hear improvements. 205 is more refined and balanced vs. 105D.

ti-triodes, Bill Mac and rbbert like this.
  14. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

You can ditch the computer altogether, it will just be clunky :)

If you set up the mini the way I am describing (and use myself), you won't be fooling with keyboards/mouse. The Mac just runs 24/7 (in a different room), while you use the iPad/iPhone to control a "client" (RasPlex, etc.) that is fed from a program running on the Mac (i.e. Plex).

bluemooze likes this.
  15. You CAN ditch the computer and control with iPads and iPhones. If you are looking for a one stop shop, there are plug and play solutions that just require you to plug in a USB hard drive of your music and then connect to your stereo and wifi network. My two favorites are the Oppo Sonica DAC ($799) and the Auralic Aries Mini ($499). You would then use the Sonica app or Lightning DS app on your phone to control. You can also install Roon Core in a NAS where your music lives and then connect the NAS to a Roon endpoint (like the Sonore MicroRendu ($649) or the Aries Mini or a properly configured Raspberry Pi, or countless other options. In any event, you would then use Roon on your phone or iPad.

jamesc, bluemooze and Shawn like this.
  16. Cliff

Cliff Magic Carpet Man

Believe SamS over what I've said. I didn't A/B the units and I never listened through the dedicated 2 channel DAC either. What I meant by 'on par' is it's at least as good as the 105D (which is all I was hoping for). It could be marginally better. But nothing made me say 'wow' when I was listening to several MCH SACDs over the weekend. I also listen to a lot more vinyl than I do digital media, so my tastes are a bit skewed (that's not meant to be a stab at digital).

Guss2 and Bill Mac like this.
  17. Erocka2000

Erocka2000 Forum Resident

Well, order placed for a 205. Wound up also ordering some SACDs as well as the new Planet Earth II 4K bluray set to give it a try.

Billy Budapest and Cliff like this.
  18. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Speaking from experience with the '205, some new SACDs, and the PE II 4K discs, you're in for a real treat :righton:

19. rbbert

rbbert Forum Resident

Thanks. Ordered one yesterday afternoon, it is supposed to get here today!

Billy Budapest and SamS like this.
  20. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Do let us know what you think.

Apologies I haven't been able to provide any detailed listening notes. My time for listening/posting has been very limited as of late :sigh: Happy to answer any questions, however!

21. Doug_B

Doug_B Time Traveler

You still have your Modwright 105? It looks like you've shown interest at audiocircle in getting the Modwright mod that Dan is planning for the 205, yes? Dan just got his 205 unit.

Doug

22. Has anyone ever run any distortion measurements, etc., on the Modwright units? I'm not really a "numbers guy," but I am interested in the objective effects of the mods (as opposed to auditory observations, which have been very well reviewed) as the stock units measure exceedingly well.

23. rbbert

rbbert Forum Resident

I'm #3 on the list for the 205 mod, although I may delay that a week or two just to spend a little time checking out the stock unit in my home theater

Doug_B likes this.
  24. rbbert

rbbert Forum Resident

Archimago briefly commented that some tube mod (I assume it was Modwright) was noisier than the stock 105. I don't think he made any other comment.

Archimago's Musings: MEASUREMENTS: Oppo BDP-105 RCA, XLR, HDMI, and other stuff for the record (like MQA CDs?!)...

25. Ken E.

Ken E. Senior Member

From what I have been reading the asynchronous USB input on the 105 is quite similar/identical to the one offered on the 205. I have a library on an old PC running Windows XP that I access through the free version of Media Monkey. It seems all I need to do is download a driver for the computer, plug said into the 205 and voila!
    Is it really THAT simple?
    Thanks!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.