Oppo UDP-205 Announced

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by ti-triodes, Dec 19, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Werther Clay Monico Rosa

Werther Clay Monico Rosa New Member

Hi! Are you sure the superiority of the 205 is. Ot cause by the light reader, which would be older in the 105, therefore with less performance because of the age?

2. Sigma6

Sigma6 Forum Resident

Now available for order at Oppo Digital Australia: AUD$2,199.00...

3. ti-triodes

ti-triodes Senior Member Thread Starter

There have been some pictures around the web of 205 boxes that people have been receiving which are pretty well banged up. Obviously the weight is a factor in the shipping.
    Oppo does offer double boxing for $5 extra. The link for this is a bit hard to find. It's buried in one of the customer service info pages, but it seems well worth it for such a beast.

Bill Mac likes this.
  4. Majestyk

Majestyk Rush Resident

Who would balk at an extra $5.00 for a $1300 Blu Ray player? Oppo shouldn't even ask. Just charge an extra $5

SteelyNJ likes this.
  5. rbbert

rbbert Forum Resident

Mine arrived double-boxed, no extra charge. Do you perhaps mean triple-boxed?

6. ti-triodes

Thanks for the info, no one mentioned it on the other forums. The box of my 95 came all banged up and I always held my breath whenever I ordered something else from them. I wonder if they would triple box the 205 if asked. It would still be worth it for $5.

7. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

...or factor it in to the cost and treat it as the player's regular box. This is not difficult...

8. rbbert

rbbert Forum Resident

I think this has already happened

Brother_Rael likes this.
  9. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

It's not the cost of the box. If you're familiar with shipping larger items, the extra DIM size (weight) can bump up shipping charges substantially. So they're probably losing money even at the $5 upcharge.

ti-triodes likes this.
  10. stricee

stricee Forum Resident

mine came double boxed

11. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

anyone know when dealers are scheduled to get these?

12. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

I was reading that the sound quality is supposed to be significantly improved compared to the 105. The new DAC has a 120db audio dynamic range capability vs. 110 db for the 105.

13. rbbert

rbbert Forum Resident

I doubt that the "dynamic range" alone (or at all) would produce better sound quality. I will say that in my system the 205 sounds obviously better than the 95; haven't compared it to the 105

14. Cliff

Cliff Magic Carpet Man

'Significantly improved'? Would love to see a link of what material they were comparing. It could be a marginal improvement over the 105D but I can't and won't say for certain... yet, anyway.

scobb likes this.
  15. BSC

BSC Forum Resident

That's not going to help sales if it is a marginal improvement but sometimes in a good set up it's sources can be the area that is toughest to get to improve....

16. Cliff

Cliff Magic Carpet Man

My Krell preamp may FINALLY be back from having a few caps replaced tomorrow (took 6 weeks). That will tell me a lot more because the HTS 7.1 is sooo damn clean and neutral compared to my back-up Marantz. I'll try to find some time this weekend to compare the two units. I'll have to dust off my CDs and see how many I have with the same masters :laugh:

17. ti-triodes

Bill Mac and Shawn like this.
  18. Cliff

Cliff Magic Carpet Man

Interesting. Last time I spoke with them (about a week before the 205 hit the market), they weren't sure if they were going to sell Oppo products anymore.

19. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Selling on Amazon is a smart move by Oppo. Not only do they get more exposure but the offer of 12 month no interest with the Amazon card is excellent. It might push me towards buying the 205 as the reviews for the analog outputs has been very positive.

Guss2 likes this.
  20. Cliff

Cliff Magic Carpet Man

Listening through my Krell Pre (finally!), the 205 sounds fantastic! It betters the 105D in pretty much everything! Better imaging, bass, air and mids... But most importantly, it's less bright when driven HARD (100dB+)! Which is a huge win, IMO. I've listened to more digital than analog today, so that should tell you a lot. :cop:

21. Linger63

Linger63 Forum Resident

Be careful.........you will damage your hearing after only 15 mins listening at that level.

Dangerous Decibels » How Loud is Too Loud?

Dangerous Decibels » Noise Induced Hearing Loss

ti-triodes, riddlemay and formu_la like this.
  22. Guss2

Guss2 Senior Member

This will probably push me over the edge, just too bad it's not Prime eligible.

bluemooze and Bill Mac like this.
  23. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I agree on the Prime eligibility. But Oppo runs a real tight ship as far as pricing including shipping. Might be worth waiting a bit to see if the 205 would be prime eligible.

Guss2 likes this.
  24. BayouTiger

BayouTiger Forum Resident

After chasing and tweaking my main system for ages, and making some revealing changes, I've come to the conclusion that my 105 has been the root of some of my frustration. I've decided that, while it has great detail, it's one flaw is that it is a touch thin at the bottom.

I am wondering if the 205 shares the sonic signature with the 105. I thought this was the norm with Sabre DAC's but I've heard others that do not exhibit this.

How about all the other 105 goodness? Like the ability to easily rip SACD's? The 105 was a quantum leap ahead of my 95, I wonder how much of a jump the 205 might offer? Likely going to grab one anyway.

25. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

No interest in this player due to lack of decent 4K titles on the market.
    And no announcements of "classic" titles yet...

Heavy Music likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.