Oppo UDP-205 Announced

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by ti-triodes, Dec 19, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Might wanna double check that. And do a factory reset while you're at it.

2. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I'll double check but the latest official FW which is UDP20X-42-0329 released on April 6th. When I powered up the 205 initially there was a prompt to update the FW. I loaded the FW then did a factory reset which was fine as I hadn't even set up it up yet.

3. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I just checked and I have the latest UDP20X-42-0329 FW. When I was on the phone with Oppo support the Tech had me do a factory reset and erase the Persistent Storage.

4. BayouTiger

BayouTiger Forum Resident

I'm too lazy for to read the whole thread. Did the rip SACD function get verified yea or nay?

5. Guss2

Guss2 Senior Member

6. BayouTiger

BayouTiger Forum Resident

No - not verified, or no - doesn't work?

7. formu_la

formu_la I'm not a robot

Probably both.

BayouTiger likes this.
  8. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Doesn't work.

9. TarnishedEars

TarnishedEars Forum Resident

Did your phone call resolve your clicking issues?

10. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

No it did not. But Oppo emailed me a beta FW to try and hopefully that will resolve the audio pause and relay clicking issues. I should be able to load the FW later tomorrow and I'll post the results.

11. rbbert

rbbert Forum Resident

I'll bet if it works for you (even just decreasing the loudness of the clicks noticeably) it will become part of the next official FW update

12. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Excessive relay clicking on the 205 was resolved with MCU firmware MCU205-01-1220. I don't think we know which MCU version is on Bill's machine, when he has been experiencing clicks.

FashionBoy likes this.
  13. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Sam,

Before I do the new beta FW update I'll double check to see if I do in fact have MCU205-01-1220. I only checked the main FW which is UDP20X-42-0329. You could be right in that for some reason it didn't load completely and the MCU FW was not updated. It won't be the first time I screwed up a FW update :help:.

14. rbbert

rbbert Forum Resident

I just sent my 205 off to Modwright, but I'd like to know for after it returns: how/where is the MCU firmware updated actually performed? My unit was connected to the Internet, and had all available FW updates (that I could find in "Firmware Update"), but it still clicked loudly.

15. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

MCU updates are typically performed as part of the regular firmware file updates. Most MCU updates are bundled with a standard firmware update, but only rarely does a standard firmware update contain an MCU update.

16. formu_la

formu_la I'm not a robot

I have no idea how any firmware can change sound of clicking of mechanical relay. For all I know it is impossible.

17. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

For all I know, it's very possible :) These things are basically computers. And the MCU (Micro Controller Unit) governs many of the mechanical functions of the player, like how/when "muting" relays are activated, based on input signals/changes, how the display functions, etc.

18. formu_la

formu_la I'm not a robot

Oh yeah, they definitely can change "when", but they can't make it quieter.

19. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

I never said quieter, but the amount of "clicks" can be reduced, or eliminated.

20. formu_la

formu_la I'm not a robot

I agree with reduced, but eliminated? They are there to switch modes or signals.
    BTW my Marantz player is clicking as well. I remember reading somewhere that electronic designers trying to avoid using electronic commutations of signal (which would be totally silent) because it may degrade a signal. So instead they use mechanical relays I guess. I have a few inexpensive players and receivers that are completely silent when switching modes.
    Clicking doesn't bother me, as it happens before the music starts.

Linger63, soundQman and rbbert like this.
  21. rbbert

rbbert Forum Resident

So if I (or anyone) has installed all the official FW updates, the MCU should be current as well?

22. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

The MCU updates are bundled with the "regular" firmware, but depending on how you install it, you have to acknowledge that you want to proceed with the MCU update.

23. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Sure, eliminated. For certain things, i.e. switching tracks. Not 100% eliminated like you'll never hear a click again. But you may only hear it once when you load the disc, then never again on the same disc.

24. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I checked and MCU205-01-1220 did load with the latest official 203/205 FW update. I loaded the beta FW and unfortunately there is no change. I still get the audio pause and relay clicking when starting and stopping SACDs with the DSD setting. I'll give Oppo a call tomorrow and see what they suggest. Does anyone know how to revert back to an official FW after loading a beta FW?

25. wolfram

wolfram Slave to the rhythm

You just have to download it from the Oppo website and install it again. You can go back and forth between a beta and an official firmware as often as you like, but not between to official ones.

Bill Mac likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.