Oppo UDP-205 Announced

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by ti-triodes, Dec 19, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rbbert

rbbert Forum Resident

You don't hear a click shortly after the SACD is inserted, before it starts playing? Are you sure you have DSD selected (rather than PCM?) in the Setup menu?

2. TommyTunes

TommyTunes Senior Member

Yes, DSD is selected and I get no clicks. I have not done the upgrade of the FW. What truely suprises me is I was easily able to play anything on my NAS including the 192 files wirelessly without any latency.
    For my main Esoteric stack I had to run cat6 lines to the room.
    This unit is very impressive.

SamS likes this.
  3. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

That is very strange :confused:. What firmware does the 205 have? I wonder if getting the clicks is setting or system dependent? Everyone that has the 205 has posted that they get relay clicks when starting and stopping SACDs when set to DSD. When I spoke with Oppo they said that was normal. They also said the 105/105D did the same thing. But I don't get the relay click with the 105D when playing SACDs.

art likes this.
  4. TommyTunes

TommyTunes Senior Member

Ok, I listened very carefully and there is a very slight soft sound but it's not a click when you insert a sacd and press play through the rear speakers only. I have the 205 connected only using the surround SE outputs (RF, LF, RS, LS) but no sound when stoping the disc.

5. rbbert

rbbert Forum Resident

You should be hearing a mechanical sound at the player, nothing through the speakers

6. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

As Rob noted the relay clicking is from the 205 not from the speakers. The reason there are relay clicks with SACDs when set to DSD is due to going from 44.1 kHz (stopped) to 2.8224 MHz (SACD playback) as explained to me by Oppo.

7. TommyTunes

TommyTunes Senior Member

Then there are no clicks happening. I'm using an aftermarket power cable designed for digital gear plugged into a Shunyata Hydra not sure if that eliminates it.

8. art

art Senior Member

i'm not getting clicks.

9. TommyTunes

TommyTunes Senior Member

Ok, i just did the firmware upgrade and now the clicks are present, which means that it probably will be corrected with a firmware upgrade.

10. TommyTunes

TommyTunes Senior Member

When playing files from the NAS they aren't playing gapless, is there a fix?

11. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Might work for WAV files via SMB share.

12. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Something's up. Did you notice which firmware the player came with before upgrading? Maybe those that aren't getting the relay clicking could post which firmware their 205 has. If the relay clicking is firmware related maybe Oppo can correct it with the next firmware.

13. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Official OPPO UDP-203 Owner's Thread - Page 545 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

ti-triodes likes this.
  14. TommyTunes

TommyTunes Senior Member

It had Udp20x-41-0317

Bill Mac likes this.
  15. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Very interesting! I upgraded the FW first thing and never noted what the original FW was. I'll contact Oppo and ask if the relay clicking was present with the original Udp20x-41-0317. Thanks for posting that :)!

16. TommyTunes

TommyTunes Senior Member

My friend and I both bought them from MD at the same time and in the same shipment. I did the upgrade and he didn't we tested them with an SACD yesterday. He doesn't get the clicks and now I do. I think it's safe to assume that they are linked to the FW.

RubenH and Bill Mac like this.
  17. BSC

BSC Forum Resident

I think this is 100% correct and I think anyone that designs DAC's will allude to this. It could be that if the comment's on the sound quality that Bill states is the case with the 205 versus the 105 that there maybe isn't much Oppo could do at their price point to get the sound quality a lot better with the new DAC chips used. I say that knowing that the 105 was/is a pretty great stereo player for the money.

18. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Tom,

Thanks for posting that information! Well it appears that with the original FW UDP20X-41-0317 there is no relay clicking with SACDs. I wonder what was changed with the updated FW UDP20X-42-0329 that is causing the relay clicks?

I'm going to call Oppo tomorrow and ask if they are aware of this. By chance will you being calling Oppo?

19. rbbert

rbbert Forum Resident

I think there are quite a few DAC designers that would not agree, e.g. Ted Smith, Mike Moffat, Andreas Koch, Ted Watts, etc. If you had said 3 years ago rather than 10, you could perhaps have made a better case.

20. ti-triodes

ti-triodes Senior Member Thread Starter

21. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I just sent Oppo and email about the relay clicking.

The beta firmware did not correct the audio pause the I'm getting with SACDs. The only way it stops is when I disconnect the HDMI cable.

I found some interesting information regarding the relay clicking with the 205 when starting and stopping SACDs when the 205 is set to DSD. A member of the Steve Hoffman music forum reported that he wasn't experiencing the relay clicks when he first received his 205 from Music Direct. Once he upgraded the firmware he started getting the relay clicks. A friend of his also bought a 205 and hadn't done the firmware update and isn't getting the relay clicks either. With firmware UDP20X-41-0317 both were not getting the relay clicks. Once he upgraded to firmware UDP20X-42-0329 he started getting the relay clicks.

I'm wondering what was changed with the UDP20X-42-0329 firmware that is causing the relay clicks? Is it possible that Oppo could find out what that was so a future firmware can correct it without effecting the 205's performance? I really would like to keep the 205 but with the relay clicking and the audio pause issue most likely I'll return it. Thanks for your time!

22. TommyTunes

TommyTunes Senior Member

There has been great strides in DAC's over the last 10 years. I've had at least 14 DAC's in the last 10 years and each one has moved the bar. This is not just me saying it. All my friends were able to tell the difference.

How much is attributeable to chips verus power supplied or design I couldn't say but since each has used a different and newer chip, I certainly think it has some effect.

Even between the 105 and 205 there has been a nice improvement. Put both units in a highly resolving system and you can immediately hear the difference. It's especially noticeable on SACD's, backgrounds and details are much better.

Prior to the 205, I kept a Sony SACD-5400ES connected for stereo SACD playback, I no longer think it's necessary because the OPPO is the equal to the Sony for SACD's.

RubenH and FashionBoy like this.
  23. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

That is an interesting observation. I never had the 5400ES, but did have the SCD-1, XA-777ES and XA-9000ES. Always thought the OPPO BDP-105 (and subsequently the '205) sounded significantly better.

24. BSC

BSC Forum Resident

I'm not saying newer chips haven't improved things I am suggesting that the overall design and optimising things is the key....and the point I was making about the Oppo 105 is that it was obviously designed for good stereo replay and that to replace it and make a big step up at a similar price point is a big ask.

I had an Esoteric X-03SE in my system for a while whilst I had the 105 but I missed the versatility of the 105 over it. I'm not so sure when I sold the Esoteric that I rated the difference as highly when I first got it. Similarly my current DAC Bryston BDA-3 is a good step up from the 105 but is it worth the % difference in cost? It doesn't really work like that. Glad you think the 205 is better since I use the HDMI output for SACD to my DAC the improvements in that area stated with the 205 is of interest to me.

25. GregM

GregM The expanding man

Interested to know how they reply, but I don't hold out any hope that this can be (or should be?) fixed. My 95 goes through a similar litany of clicking when loading discs and switching between codecs and completing handshakes with downstream gear. It doesn't do this while an album or movie is playing, so it's a nonissue for me and frankly helps me troubleshoot handshaking issues. If the 205 can solve that, it's a plus but not a major issue one way or the other.

ti-triodes and rbbert like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.