Oppo UDP-205 Announced

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by ti-triodes, Dec 19, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BSC

BSC Forum Resident

No the CDs-3000 I auditioned that when I bought my speakers.....................

2. scobb

scobb Forum Resident

Sorry! Yes I think that might be MPH or something like that.

Anyway, the broad points remain the same on personal prefference!

3. Mike Campbell

Mike Campbell Forum Resident

my BDP - 103 does the job for me..but will look into it further.

4. Mike Campbell

My OPPO couldn't be better......it does every thing I ask it to do...and more. and friends with oppos have never had a problem.

5. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I totally agree. I'm a big fan of Oppo players and their outstanding service.

My post that you quoted was in response to an SH member that endlessly slams Oppo players. When asked what issues he had there is no response. He recently suggested a Marantz AVR for someone that was looking for multichannel SACD DSD playback via HDMI. The Marantz that he recommended does not decode DSD at all from SACDs only from stereo files via the USB input :rolleyes:.

6. Mike Campbell

I have the BDP-103......and I couldnt be happier.......I don't like a lot of buzzers and whistles......I just want great sound, and great performance....quite simple really. and the price is very reasonable also. Not sure what possible issues a person could have....

Linger63 likes this.
  7. roboss38

roboss38 Forum Resident

My Modwright Oppo 205 should arrive in about a week. I'm really looking forward to having it in house, and comparing the sound to my Modwright 105.

Doug_B, PATB and Shawn like this.
  8. SKean

SKean Forum Resident

And, we're looking forward to a hopefully-unbiased review from you. It might take a month or two of listening / playing / burning in
    on your end...

9. roboss38

roboss38 Forum Resident

I expect my Modwright 205 to sound its best with about 400 hours on it. This will be my fifth or sixth Modwright player, and the Modwright 205 is hands down a better sounding player then the Modwright 105. I've been lucky enough to hear them side by side in Dan's listening room in Amboy, WA.

10. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

I have the modwright 105D, and it is great. I just can't see spending close to four thousand dollars every few years for the new Oppo/modwright. I'd rather get a 15,000 to 20,000 SACD/CD player for that kind of money.

JediJoker likes this.
  11. screener

screener Forum Resident

What would you get for $15-20K?

Hymie the Robot likes this.
  12. Balthazar

Balthazar Forum Resident

I can't see spending 15,000 to 20,000 dollars every few years for the new SACD/CD player. :D

I guess the question becomes, how does a Modwright Oppo compare to Esoteric, Luxman, dCS, etc, and which one would mean the end of all buying and selling of gear?

JediJoker likes this.
  13. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

If you upgraded to a new Modwright Oppo every few years you can sell the player you're replacing. It's not like you'd be losing $4k outright. I'd imagine you'd take a huge hit on a $15-$20k CD/SACD if you ever sold it.

JediJoker likes this.
  14. Hymie the Robot

Hymie the Robot Forum Resident

Really? Why keep it in the 15,000-20,000 range? ...sweet spot?

15. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

There is no reason to expect that the proportion is any different. Some brands hold a little more value than others but the variance is small.

16. Balthazar

Balthazar Forum Resident

50-60% of retail is generally a safe assumption for used audio electronics purchased from a private seller. Bill's point is that 50% of $20k would represent a loss 5 times greater than 50% of $4k. The proportion would not be any different but the final loss would be much more.

Would Tullman buy a $15-20k unit and never feel the need to replace it when a newer model came out? I don't know.

JediJoker and Bill Mac like this.
  17. screener

screener Forum Resident

I found this.

[​IMG]

JediJoker, trd and Bill Mac like this.
  18. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Hey Kim,

I'll be over tomorrow to give it a listen :D.

19. I find the whole debate / question about high end CDP / audio gear fascinating. One thing that is very difficult to gauge and can be often overlooked by some people is the rate of change (development) of the engineering expertise and of course the DAC technology.

I have recently traded in a Krell S-350 AV (a budget model Krell by all accounts) which started out as a $4500 DVD player with uncompromised CD playback quality back in 2010/11. I purchased my unit in 2014 predominantly for CD playback although the ability to play all my multi-region DVD's was a considerable boon. By this time it was available to me as an end-of-line, heavily discounted model and sold for the same price as the CD only S-350 A - in the US $2800 (originally $2500) and in the UK £2800. I believe the sales were poor, perhaps unsurprisingly so, given that Blu-ray was by then the 'current' film media and most people were already converted to HD TV etc. There are a lot of Krell S-350 A's in the UK though - that's a lot of DVD players minus the video board, being used as stand-alone CDP's! The model design, although very clever, was arguably out-of-date long before it went into production in China.

I swapped my Krell for the Oppo UDP-205 (standard unmodified specification) because the original Teac drive broke down in the Krell and it took 4 months for the UK distributor to obtain, from Krell USA, a replacement drive, as I believe they are not manufactured anymore? This drive was also used in the Evolution 505 model which retailed in 2007 for $15,000! I believe the Evolution also shared the same DAC's as its later, considerably cheaper sibling. My point is that companies can sometimes utilise expensive but out-of-date technology in 'budget' models due to their production systems and licensing arrangements available or familiarity with a particular OEM.

By all counts the Krell should be a significantly better CDP than the Oppo, forgetting that the latter can play ALL disc media fed to it, where the Krell can only play CD's and DVD's. However, although I am unable to make worthwhile and properly evaluated comparisons between the two, I strongly suspect that the Oppo is at least the equal of the Krell, which might mean it is also as good as a ten year old seriously high-end Krell? For those people who think CD players are all born equally and doubt the improvements in technology of the past decade alone, a ten year old Krell might seem the 'ultimate' reference tool. Isn't it ironic that the humble Oppo might be just as qualified to these people, albeit in terms of the reality of the situation, the current $10,000-20,000 servers / DAC's are really demonstrating that level of playback and not ANY current disc spinner?

I am tempted to have the 205 modified at some point but the Audiocom upgrade costs £2000! As it stands, and most unexpectedly, the Oppo in stock form slides comfortably into my system and occupies the spot the Krell used to whilst providing me with one piece of kit that also replaces my Sony BDP 6500 Blu-ray player and whilst giving me superior playback of standard HD BD's, also manages to meet the Krell's impeccably high up-scaling standard for DVD's and stunning CD playback. One smart, highly capable bit of kit for $1400! Really?

Last edited: Sep 7, 2017
  20. Linger63

Linger63 Forum Resident

Stick a quality dedicated external DAC in the back and be prepared for even MORE sonic fireworks!!!!

SteveM likes this.
  21. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

Yeah, something like this or the top of the line Esoteric.

22. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

No, Tullman would not feel the need to replace the unit when a newer model came out.

23. screener

screener Forum Resident

What are you suggesting for a dedicated external DAC with fireworks!!!! I might be interested.

24. dCS Scarlatti

25. Linger63

Linger63 Forum Resident

LOL..........you would think that should do it!!!

SteveM likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.