Oppo UDP-205 Announced

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by ti-triodes, Dec 19, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tartifless

Tartifless Forum Resident

Ok, so 3 more months i guess ! ; -)

2. Balthazar

Balthazar Forum Resident

New review.

Oppo UDP-205 Universal Sensation - HeadPhone.guru

3. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

Have a look on Tor. See what the Dark Web says. :D

4. JediJoker

JediJoker Audio Engineer/Enthusiast

Right... "Any" music lover...

5. ti-triodes

ti-triodes Senior Member Thread Starter

JediJoker likes this.
  6. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

Really? That's good. Amazing what you can do with a couple of op-amps.

ti-triodes likes this.
  7. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

54-1108B firmware is now available as a Public Beta

**** Once Installed, You Can Not Roll Back to any Earlier Firmware *****

"Added support for MQA audio files on the UDP-205.

Improved compatibility for recently released and upcoming Dolby Vision UHD Blu-ray discs and TV firmware.

Improved compatibility for non-standard 4:3 aspect ratio media files.

General fixes and disc compatibility improvements based on recent and upcoming UHD Blu-ray releases as well as user-submitted samples."

soundQman and JediJoker like this.
  8. rbbert

rbbert Forum Resident

Kind of funny, really. It makes one wonder (well, me at least) how complicated MQA can be if it can be implemented with a firmware update.

Brother_Rael, quicksrt and JediJoker like this.
  9. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

They probably just added an EQ function. ;)

Hymie the Robot, c-eling and gd0 like this.
  10. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

This one about 4:3 aspect rations sounds odd, no?

11. Doug_B

Doug_B Time Traveler

I thought that not rolling back Beta firmware is unusual for Oppo. I've never installed any Beta firmware on the Oppo units I've owned, but I thought that historically their Beta firmware could generally be rolled back to the previous official release. So is this just an abberation or a trend for them? Or is this more typical of the 20x units? Or am I mistaken?

Doug

JediJoker likes this.
  12. rbbert

rbbert Forum Resident

SamS could best answer your question, or you can ask Oppo directly, they usually respond pretty quickly. I agree that this is unusual, perhaps even unprecedented, and wonder if the MQA compatability has something to do with it?

13. soundQman

soundQman Senior Member

It is completely a software algorithm I believe. No hardware involved. All companies need to do is license the code from Meridian, AFAIK. You can even get MQA decoding on one of those tiny USB/DAC sticks, Meridian Explorer 2.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2017
  14. rbbert

rbbert Forum Resident

Judging from the hoops some manufacurers have gone through to get MQA “certification” (or have decided to pass on MQA capability), I suspect it’s more involved than just software in most cases. The fact that it is only on the 205 lends some support to this hypothesis. It may be that with some DAC chips, and some filter sets (that already include an apodizing filter), a software implementation is possible. The Meridian Explorer is a poor example; any Meridian product designed since MQA was conceived is certainly going to be compatible.

JediJoker likes this.
  15. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

When it comes to user-generated media, it can be the "Wild West" out there.

Some of the non-rollback restrictions may be due to licensing or other 3rd party situations outside of OPPO's control.

PhantomStranger, JediJoker and Doug_B like this.
  16. Hymie the Robot

Hymie the Robot Forum Resident

Why? Which video formats are supported on USB? It was probably stretching 4x3 to 16x9 rather than keeping the oar.

17. soundQman

soundQman Senior Member

OK, but the Audioquest Dragonfly Red DAC stick also incorporates MQA. There may be partial and complete implementations as well, some of which could involve hardware, too, I don't know.

18. rbbert

rbbert Forum Resident

It can’t be retrofitted to an older Dragonfly, though; AQ brought out updated models to include MQA, and the cheaper one needs TIDAL to perform the first “unfold”.

19. Kristofa

Kristofa Enthusiast of small convenient sound carrier units

This question has likely been answered already, but for those who have the BDP-205, can you state if it is faster in response than previous models?

I really like my BDP-93, but it is really slow when using the remote to change tracks and find myself using a dedicated CD player when I am not just playing a CD all the way through.

Thanks!

20. Cliff

Cliff Magic Carpet Man

I never owned a 93. But the 205 is faster than the 103 and 105D that I did own. Much less lag and loading times.

21. rudym457

rudym457 Well-Known Member

i bought my 103 for it's superb video not it's sound. use a NAD D 1050 coax out for audio. no contest

22. JediJoker

What about lossless multichannel?

23. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

The 103 does wonderful multi-channel from disc or USB files. So convenient and pleasing sound quality. Stereo sound quality is not notable for this player. For stereo there are an endless number of low cost DACs that out perform this unit.

24. JediJoker

My point was that @rudym457 can't get lossless multichannel over coax, and surely the sound quality matters when combined with the picture (stated reason for purchase). There seem to be a dearth of high-quality, dedicated multichannel DACs with HDMI input. I suppose it's because most home theaters should use room correction.

25. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

HDMI is not a audio standard, it is a video standard with audio facilities. This is why you don't see many DACs with it.

Most home theaters should not necessarily use room correction. Nothing to do with hdmi imo.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.