Oppo UDP-205 Announced

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by ti-triodes, Dec 19, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ti-triodes

ti-triodes Senior Member Thread Starter

Is that 5 Oppo's or 5 players in general? In that case I'm a mass murderer. :D

Bill Mac likes this.
  2. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

5+ OPPOs ;) I have three in one room, right now. But I admit, that is overkill.

3. ti-triodes

I guess I'm still an Oppo babe. The 205 will be #4. OTOH, I did sell my 2 Oppo DVD players. :winkgrin:

SamS likes this.
  4. floyd

floyd Senior Member

You can rip sacd with a 105D and probably not with a 205 ? That and no hdcd gives me pause. I was going to get a 105D but when I heard a new model was coming I decided to wait for that.
    I think I have a good number of hdcd titles didn't a lot of Neil Young cds come as hdcd? Even some of the audio fidelity gold cds had hdcd before they (thankfully) got back into sacd.

5. Blair G.

Blair G. Senior Member

Gives me pause too.
    I waited on the 103/5 generation partially because I wasn't ready and partiallybecause I thought the new models would be "better".
    But that appears to have been a mistake on my part with two critical audio features gone.
    I may end up with an Oppo anyway, but I am starting to look other alternatives.

Funky54 likes this.
  6. townsend

townsend Senior Member

Nah . . . four in one room, that is overkill, three is just right.:righton:

7. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

It's a tough call when thinking about ordering a component when a new version will be available in the near future. When I bought my Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma the 60 series was soon to be released. I went with the GT50 as the GT version was being discontinued. It turns out that the ST60 was rated better than the GT50 at a lower cost.

If you are still interested in the 105D give Oppo a call to see if they have any refurbished units available. I bought a refurbished 105D direct from Oppo and it looked like a brand new unit packed as if it was never opened. The cost was $1039.00 and comes with a full warranty.

rbbert likes this.
  8. rbbert

rbbert Forum Resident

Kind of silly if you ask me. If that process seems too complicated, dBPoweramp will do it one step (rip the disc with the HDCD plug-in enabled)

Hymie the Robot likes this.
  9. bubba-ho-tep

bubba-ho-tep Resident Ne'er-Do-Well

But the plug-in is only effective if peak extend is encoded on the CD, correct? For me, this would be the biggest pain. Identifying which of my HDCD discs have peak extend.

gd0 and Tullman like this.
  10. TommyTunes

TommyTunes Senior Member

Anyone know when the 205 is available for order?

11. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Gonna be a while.

12. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

******* around with a computer and someone's dopey software just to listen to my HDCD's is not acceptable.

Shvartze Shabbos and Heavy Music like this.
  13. Funky54

Funky54 Coat Hangers do not sound good

I won't be buying a 203.

I just sold my 105.

Oppo makes nice products. They are well built and their customer service is very good.

I won't be buying one because they are no longer on the cutting edge or keeping up with today's demands of contemporary functions.

First strike, it doesn't stream. I need 4k streaming and they can't do it.
    Second strike, the analog outs no longer provide for contemporary media formats like Atmos
    Third strike, I liked Oppo for its DAC and preamp capabilities... it can't do those things with today's standard Atmos

True, no player seems to do the Decoding of Atmos... just bitstream it. But what that means to me is a player is no longer important. It's now just a transport with bitstreaming. So now the preamp is what's most important. I see no advantage or needed feature that the Oppo supplies above what they all provide. I'm now just going to buy by price.

JediJoker likes this.
  14. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

A few thoughts for a different perspective.

Streaming boxes (including 4K) are a dime a dozen, and format metadata and authentication methods are changing so fast that the most cutting edge box will be outdated or non-functional in <6 months. Witness what has happened with the apps in the BDP-9x players. Outdated interfaces, barely working, no ability to add new ones, etc. Do you want your 2017 UHD player essentially "frozen in time"? HDMI input on the back means you can add any box you want (they're cheap!) now, or in 5 years.

Second, Dolby Atmos decoding to analog outputs will never happen. They days of 5.1/7.1 analog outputs on Blu-ray/UHD players are extremely numbered. If you're still using a receiver/processor that takes in MCH analog audio in lieu of HDMI, you're probably using something 12-15+ years old. Don't expect OPPO (or anyone else) to support that much longer.

Yes, a transport with bit streaming is still important. Mainly because most manufacturers can't even do that right.

15. rbbert

rbbert Forum Resident

It's effective no matter what, just may not be needed if Peak Extend hasn't been encoded.

16. gd0

gd0 Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies

Not on a Mac. :mad: Just adding that so Mac users are clear on this.

I simply recorded the few dozen HDCDs I have using my Oppo 103 to a 24/96 ADC. Good enough. HDCD was just an expensive add-on for me, with little or no improvement; good riddance. I only got on board because some titles were released ONLY in HDCD.

:realmad:

JediJoker and Tullman like this.
  17. Jim N.

Jim N. 2024 is 1968 sans the great music

Waiting for price / specs on this as I am in the market. The Cambridge CXU can be had for $999.00 and the Marantz UD7007 for $799.00 so I may not wait. Would prefer the OPPO 205 for support reasons and XLR connectivity (which the Cambridge does not have). Just looking for a good universal disc spinner with USB media support. I'm happy with my Yulong D8 DAC so the player does not necessarily need to best that for CD's but if it does then all the better.

Currently just running Rotel 1072 > Rebranded Monarchy DIP/Upsampler > Yulong D8 DAC.

18. Funky54

I don't agree. I respect your view point though. The number 1 reason "Many" use analog outs is because in the day Oppo's DAC's were top notch. Less converting back and forth and less connections per channel made for better audio. My old pre and the new pre I'm getting both had\have HDMI. I "chose" analog outs for superior audio. I still "choose" video to go straight from the transport to the display. That's the truest videophile path. To limit conversions.. and because by old standards Oppo was way ahead I wanted the audio conversion done in the player.

My Oppo 103 and then 105 did a great job of streaming. I used it over the Apple TV or my displays streaming abilities. In fact I plugged the Apple into the Oppo to take advantage of its DAC's. Now, I'll choose a player that can stream 4k and be ahead of the curve. Sorry Oppo. Technology passed you by.

19. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Other than the UDP-203, there may never be a 4K UHD/SACD/DVD-A player with 5.1/7.1 analog outputs.

What happens when Netflix changes their authentication methods and the players/TVs with built-in apps stop working? We already have examples of this today. With stand alone streamers, you're out like $50 for a new one. Toss the old one, get a new one at any store or online and you're all set for another few years until standards/content/features change.

20. Funky54

I'm vinyl only for listening, so I no longer buy or care about my SACD disks or playback. Atmos forced HDMI so I no longer care about 5 or 7 analogsā€¦ now if it had 5.1.4 analog outs I'd care again. Again, any cheap transport now will do. All a player is now is a 4k transport. As much as I liked the 105, I stuck a old Sony in its place and truthfully for movies I can't tell any difference.

There simply is no feature or ability that puts it above the pack. I'll buy a cheap 4k transport that streams. When they cheapen like blue ray players did, ill buy another to stay up on streaming.

21. ti-triodes

A used Oppo 95 0r 105 also have XLR and both players are still supported by Oppo. If you have no interest in 4K, you'd be better buying something now.

Bill Mac and Jim N. like this.
  22. Signed up for the notification on availability. Also in contact with ModWright to be a Guinea Pig if it all works out. A bit nervous being this early, but I have faith this thing will be a Giant Killer after the mods. (IhopeIhopeIhopeIhope.....)

23. Wharf Rat

Wharf Rat Well-Known Member

What are the biggest differences between the 95 and 105? I'd be looking to use it for audio mainly.

24. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

The OPPO UDP-203/205 are the only 4K UHD/Blu-ray/SACD/DVD-A players on the market.

Metralla likes this.
  25. rbbert

rbbert Forum Resident

Not the UDP-205?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.