Oppo UDP-205 Announced

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by ti-triodes, Dec 19, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wolfram

wolfram Slave to the rhythm

Actually, I tend to use both with my 105. For a while I only used HDMI for everything multi-channel, because I wanted to use the advantages of Audyssey on my Denon AVR. And most of the time I stick with that, especially for movies. But lately I started to listen to MC music using the analog outs of the Oppo again occasionally, since they can sound more natural and laid back. Especially for classical music it "feels more right" this way.

For stereo it's analog only, of course.

scobb, JediJoker and Linger63 like this.
  2. GregM

GregM The expanding man

I decided to take the plunge and snagged a mint UDP-205 on ebay to upgrade from my old BDP-95

The Beave, Linger63 and Lonson like this.
  3. screener

screener Forum Resident

Nice.

I own the Oppo 95. Let us know how it compares. I've been holding off for a while. I recently replied to Oppo with an e-mail for the next release on the 205 if it happens.

Bill Mac likes this.
  4. husafreak

husafreak Great F'n music that's difficult to listen to!

I have a new 205, bought about a month before they called it. For other owners I have a question about its handling of UHD BD disc playback. I bought several new and used UHD movies and all was well but last night I put The Last Jedi in (which is new). We just saw a black screen. I opened and closed the drawer a couple times and turned it on and off. I would insert the disc, get the generic Oppo disc reading screen, then black. Then I went off to get the manual and the movie menu came up. So I'm thinking it just takes a longer than I am used to for the player to read a UHD BD disc? I know it could be a flaky disc or any number of things but for a minute there I thought my new Oppo was going to need service :(

5. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Probably not the disc. I recommend using an HDMI.org "certified" cable between your 205 and your TV/AVR.

6. Doug_B

Doug_B Time Traveler

I placed my email on the last run 205 list and did receive the verification email from Oppo recently, but I don't think I'll be buying it. I'm already in the mode of playing files for all my music using a Dan Wright-modded 105D, using the 105D's native interface for control (and a NAS for file storage). Although it's been tempting to get a 205 and have it Wright-modded, for which it seems everyone who has heard both asserts that the 205 sounds better, it seems to make more sense to me to just upgrade to an external DAC when I get the itch to upgrade 2ch SQ (probably a DSD-capable one, as a considerable percentage of my files are DSD). Besides that, consistent with Oppo not offering new product going forward, Dan Wright is now looking at generic external DAC-based mods (yes, I have owned a few Wright-modded disc players over the years so am a fan, and I am still resisting temptation to upgrade to a modded 205). Going down the external DAC path later on will require me to implement a different file-playing solution; just have to choose one from the seemingly zillion options available :wtf:.

One area giving me pause is for playing multi-channel files. I am still using an old, pre-HDMI HT controller with analog inputs to which the 105D is connected for multi-channel (I use a separate 2ch pre for 2ch music). I don't know if I would go down the path of a new controller that can support both PCM (flac) and DSD multi-channel files once my 105D bites the dust if my old HT controller still works, and what will be available when that happens. This is where I'm thinking that hedging my bets with a 20x purchase may make sense. Since I am not as anal about SQ for multi-channel as with 2 channel, I am leaning more towards a 203 purchase than a 205. Heck, I might look for a used 103 instead, which would also give me a 3rd player that supports SACD disc ripping.

Doug

7. roboss38

roboss38 Forum Resident

Go with the Modwright 205, you won't be sorry. Dan posted on 5/16 that he'll have 2 fully modded Oppo 205 available for sale. I moved my Modwright 105 in a bedroom system, and SACD file creation duty.

Doug_B likes this.
  8. Doug_B

Doug_B Time Traveler

I knew it would be trouble if I posted my thoughts on here :rolleyes:. Yea, I did see Dan's post earlier today.

Doug

9. ti-triodes

ti-triodes Senior Member Thread Starter

It should be labeled premium certified cable with the cute little holographic sticker on it. ;)

[​IMG]

My personal rant. Why can’t they just number these f***ing cables to make it easier for people to know what to buy? Another reason HDMI.org is run by dimwits. :rolleyes:

The Beave and Pizza like this.
  10. husafreak

Thank you!

11. husafreak

I swapped the cable which came with the Oppo for this cable I already had:
    https://www.amazon.com/GE-22702-6-Feet-Discontinued-Manufacturer/dp/B000SEXBJ0
    It says Certified Full 4K x 2K Ultra HD on the package (which luckily I kept) but no holograph sticker. The first try I got the blank screen and frozen remote again, a check of the TV input showed no signal. I cycled the drawer and then the movie played. I may try another cable if the problem persists. On the Oppo display I am seeing a count begin which then freezes before a picture is displayed.

12. It’s funny—I already had a Sony UBP-x1000es (which sounds great) but I bought a UDP-205 anyway right after Oppo announced it was discontinuing production. I haven’t opened the Oppo and now I am stuck in a quandary—do I keep the Sony or the Oppo? If I sell the UDP-205, it will be here (NOT eBay or Audiogon) for $1399 (MSRP plus $100 for shipping and PayPal fees). I could then use the funds for a new receiver—the Integra I currently have sounds really great but it supports up to 5.1.2 and I would like to go to 5.1.4 (or 7.1.2). I am eyeing the Sony za5000es or NAD T777v3 and both of those go for around $2200, so $1399 in cash would be helpful!

13. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

$1399 - I wonder if you would get it. This forum is not known for big spenders on the hardware side, in my opinion.

Run it up the flagpole and see if anyone salutes.

14. Yeah. I’m still not sure if I want to sell. I might end up selling the Sony—I bought it with AMEX points—but it would be harder to sell than the Oppo. I am pretty sure the Oppo would sell on eBay but someone there would probably buy it just to flip it, whereas here someone who actually wanted it would purchase. Anyway, I am still in a quandary!

15. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

Yes - you would be right about eBay; and it would bother me in the same way that it bothers you. I don't know why I despise "flippers" but I do.

Bill Mac and Billy Budapest like this.
  16. I think it really depends on how many 205s Oppo produces in the last batch. I'm wavering myself on getting a 205 after just buying a 203.

bluejimbop likes this.
  17. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Toss that cable and order this one for $5 https://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-115428-Certified-Premium-18Gbps/dp/B01GCGKI3O/

You’ll need x2 if you’re running through an AVR.

EDIT: what TV do you have and what disc are you trying to play?

Last edited: May 19, 2018
    husafreak and Billy Budapest like this.
  18. Doug Sclar

Doug Sclar Forum Legend

I wish I would OF thought of that.

bluejimbop and Billy Budapest like this.
  19. hobbes4444

hobbes4444 Forum Addict

So when skipping tracks on the 205, does it normally start a track with a quick fade up? It isn't as dramatic as the 93, but still irritating. Do I need to update the firmware, perhaps? I'm at 41-0317, and when I booked up it said a new fw was available. I don't like to update until I'm sure of the changes (still have my -93 with .iso playback support from the HDD)

20. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

To be honest I never noticed when skipping tracks that the any of the Oppo players I've owned had a quick fade up. I updated the FW right away as there really is no concern of loss of features such as the loss of .iso playback.

JediJoker likes this.
  21. hobbes4444

hobbes4444 Forum Addict

My 93 was more notorious with the first track starting a 1/2 second in. I don't know if that improved with firmware on the -93. I thought it was a HDMI handshake issue but it's with analog as well.

22. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I wonder if it's an HDMI handshake issue even when using analog as the HDMI cable is still connected. You could disconnect the HDMI cable from your 205 then try skipping tracks with just analog connected.

23. GregM

GregM The expanding man

It compares favorably, as much for video as for audio. I need to let it burn in a lot longer, but can already note some advantages that make my ears and eyes sense a higher-end experience. Wish I didn't wait so long to take the plunge.

24. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

Open it and decide which is best. You need to check all is working anyway. Still will fetch more than you paid. Both machines will be gone soon and lack of universal disc players with analogue out will make both sought after.

ti-triodes and JediJoker like this.
  25. husafreak

Thanks. I'll get one. Monoprice definitely has some good deals. It is a new LG B7A OLED 4K. Movie is the new Star Wars. I have put about 10 UHD movies through it and this is the first movie to give trouble.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.