Oppo UDP-205 Announced

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by ti-triodes, Dec 19, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Funky54

Funky54 Coat Hangers do not sound good

Like I said… I don't care about SACD anymore. Vinyl flat kicked it and my HDtracks to the curb. Vinyl only. I'm glad they are supporting an older media. It's nice if your that guy who likes SACD. But not a feature I care about.

Now streaming 4k, that would get my attention. Fortunately there are several options for that in other players that kept up with what's important today.

Majestyk likes this.
  2. mongo

mongo Senior Member

Why do we always have to have so much back and forth when someone decides they don't want a certain piece of gear.
    Why try to counterpoint the decision and have a pointless thread crap.
    The decision has been made.
    Fine! Great! Good Luck & Goodbye!

3. Guss2

Guss2 Senior Member

So we can have a purgatory between heaven and hell.

Blair G. likes this.
  4. oxenholme

oxenholme Senile member

If the UDP-205 hasn't got analogue 5.1/7.1 outputs I do not understand its purpose.

I sincerely hope that your views do not mirror the views of Oppo inc.

Blair G. likes this.
  5. Funky54

The new 203 does have 7.1 analog outs just like the old player. The problem is time has moved on. What's important today is Atmos and other immersion formats. Oppo did not bother to decode the new formats moving forward. They now just do a pass through forcing you to have a different device do the work of decoding. The main advantage in Oppo in the past was its decoding.

You may say to yourself "Atmos… I don't need that" over the years there have been many gimmicks to force the consumer to go buy the latest, often unnecessarily. Unless you have an over 75" TV even 4k is debatable for instance, it's just a so what. However Atmos is a huge change in home theater. Set up right it's actually better than the movie theater. It truly pulls you into the movie. The new standard will soon be a format like Atmos. Oppo cheapened out and said no to decoding it.

So please understand the new Oppo does what the old Oppo did except you lost streaming and it now does 4k (pixel count for large TV's) and HDR (better color making it more realistic) that's it. I offer my perspective to help others make a purchase. I have now counted over 33 posts on three forums of people unhappy with the new 203 because they bought not understanding the limitations. Mostly streaming. And as to streaming it's not just go buy another device… when you do that (maybe you don't care, maybe you do) your adding another handshake, another connection, another power supply and so on. The more of these things the more potential for poor signal and picture quality. The entire reason for these upgrades are to improve.

Oppo is now no longer the Swiss Army knife of AV solutions it once was. Now if you want 4k Atmos and HDR you will have to buy a really good preamp or receiver. If that device is doing all the work…you just don't need anything special in a player. You just need it to spin the disk and pass through the signal and they all do that.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2016
    signothetimes53 likes this.
  6. Linger63

Linger63 Forum Resident

LOL............just how many sets of RCA leads do you want back there!!!!!!:laugh:

IMHO you are in an extreme minority in thinking that everyone gives a hoot about on board ATMOS decoding.

That's what AVR's and Pre/Pro's are for..........that's what HDMI is for........:righton:

The only people needing any on board decoding have quite old non HDMI AVR's........they can simply do what I and millions of others have done.......GET A NEW ONE!!!

If you don't like the new OPPO that's fine..........It's just that the reasons you state don't seem very "reasonable"........:p

I highly doubt that ANY player will have on board ATMOS decoding......

7. oxenholme

oxenholme Senile member

It was the UDP 205 in which I was interested. Not the UDP 203.

The video side barely interests me. All I use the BDP 105 for is a ubiquitous media handler, disc player, and multi-channel/stereo DAC/analogue out. I was hoping that the UDP 205 might offer an improvement in sound quality. I couldn't care less about Netflix or any internet related what have you.

Time will tell.

Robert van Diggele and Blair G. like this.
  8. Linger63

Linger63 Forum Resident

Based on being their latest flagship design incorporating an updated ESS Sabre 32 DAC and all new transport ( amongst other things) there's a fair chance SQ will be improved.

9. rbbert

rbbert Forum Resident

I'm a little apprehensive about the (unknown) features of the 205. No HDCD is disappointing but not a game changer, since there are workarounds. However, without a significant sound quality improvement over the 105, it will be hard to make an argument to upgrade, since the video features should be essentially identical to the 203. If Modwright does manage to come through with an even better mod than their present 105 mod (as has been predicted by Dan), that could be a deciding factor if the price isn't outrageous.

10. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I disagree. What 4k players out there play SACDs and DVD-As with a 5/7.1 analog output (if needed)? That's easy as there are no others currently available besides the Oppo 203 as far as I know.

We all get that you're unhappy with the Oppo 203 and you have every right to. But saying that "time has moved on" regarding the 203 not having onboard Atmos decoding and the lack of analog outputs is ridiculous IMO. What other 4k players have onboard Atmos decoding? How many processors have the correct number of analog inputs to support a full blown Atmos system from an outboard source? I don't believe there are either of these choices available at this time and doubt there ever will be. It's time to get current and give up on your dream of doing Atmos via analog ;).

11. Funky54

I doubt any other will as well. So the superior audio of minimizing conversions and using the wonderful 105's DAC's are no longer a plus for me now, lost in trade of Atmos. But that was why the 105 was great for me. Now that the current format is Atmos, the 203 didn't keep up with that benifit.

As to the Pre, I had HDMI with the Emotiva. I chose analog because it sounded better. My video is direct to display. Its you that isn't keeping up. My new Pre that I gave up for a customer and now I've re-ordered is a Marrantz 7703. And Ifa new Oppo had analog outs Id still use them.

12. Funky54

How many times and in what additional languages do I need to spell out that I don't care about DVD-A orSACD. You guys keep bragging about that like I care. To me it's like a car manufacturer bragging that their car still supports 8 track. I don't need that. 5.1 and 7.1 analog outs are only supporting surround not immersion formats. Today immersion is the new standard. Oppo is giving a bunch of features that you guys are bragging about that are no longer relative.

13. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I don't think anyone gives a **** if you care about SACD and DVD-A or not. So just because you don't care about SACD and DVD-A it's not a relative feature?

14. Blair G.

Blair G. Senior Member

Some people don't give a hoot about SACD or DVD Audio.
    Others (like me) don't give a hoot about Atmos or 4K or streaming or whatever.
    Just shows how hard it must be to bring something to market that satisifies everyone.
    It would appear it can't be done :)

Funky54, Kristofa, 5meohd and 3 others like this.
  15. Spitfire

Spitfire Senior Member

Surround sound formats and connections are ever changing. Personally I've been through the following:

1) Dolby Surround - 4 channel
    2) Dolby Pro Logic - 5 Channel
    3) Dolby 5.1, DTS - 5 channel + subwoofer
    4) Dolby 5.1 EX, PLIIx, DTS ES, 7.1 etc. - 7 channel + subwoofer

All these required hardware and/or connector changes plus speaker additions and/or upgrades.. Unfortunately if you want the latest and greatest you have to be prepared for these type of changes. Sometimes I think I would have been better off just staying with 2 channel.

16. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

I need HDCD decoding because I'm a Grateful Dead fan. I have several hundred Grateful Dead HDCDs and I subscribe to all the Grateful Dead HDCD releases, which amounts to several a year.

What's Atmos???

manxman and vegafleet like this.
  17. oxenholme

oxenholme Senile member

Heaven alone knows!

SandAndGlass and therockman like this.
  18. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

oxenholme likes this.
  19. oxenholme

oxenholme Senile member

Just out of interest, what's a "relative feature"?

JeffreyB and therockman like this.
  20. oxenholme

oxenholme Senile member

cnolanh and LivingForever like this.
  21. FJosh

FJosh Forum Resident

Speakers in your ceiling.

22. soundQman

soundQman Senior Member

We didn't realize that this was your thread.

23. BSC

BSC Forum Resident

I have to ask what is an immersion format?

As for features that are relative do you have a % of Oppo owners who think SACD is not important? What you've posted is beyond daft but I am interested in what an immersion format is......

Bill Mac likes this.
  24. Guss2

Guss2 Senior Member

I don't mean to pile on, but the fact that you could only find 33 negative /unhappy posts against the new OPPO player in a sea of literally thousands of post over multiple threads and forums only goes to show just how in the minority you are. Sorry dude, Oppo is not in the business for making players for people who only like vinyl and streaming; get a freaking grip.

Bill Mac likes this.
  25. Linger63

Linger63 Forum Resident

So ALL you really know is that the OPPO's DAC's sounded better than the Emotiva's to you in your system. :)
    How do you go from there to declaring on board decoding as the be all and end all? :confused:

Do you know that quite a few of the current ATMOS capable AVR's and Pre/Pros's are actually using the SAME kind of DAC as the OPPO 105?....
    AND have Room EQ!!!
    How do you know whether they would sound even better again?.................You don't!!!!

And as far as "keeping up" goes............with who?..........with what?..........is there a race going on?...........I am VERY happy with where I am right now!!!!! :D

Hymie the Robot and Bill Mac like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.