Oppo UDP-205 Announced

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by ti-triodes, Dec 19, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MikeJedi

MikeJedi Forum Resident

Monoprice make really good HDMi cables. I use them on my computer and my bedroom hdtv

2. wolfram

wolfram Slave to the rhythm

Maybe of interest for the owners of the 203 and 205:

OPPO UDP-20X 4K UHD Blu-ray Disc Player Firmware Update

It's a beta firmware update.

Release Notes:

This release is for the OPPO UDP-20x 4K UHD Blu-ray Disc Player.

Comparing to the current Official release version UDP20X-56-0224, the major changes included in this version are:

Added the Dolby Vision “Player-led processing” mode for compatibility with recent Sony Dolby Vision TVs and firmware updates.
    Added the “Dolby Vision” mode under the HDR Setting menu, which allows the player to convert the output to Dolby Vision when possible.
    Added the “Dolby Vision Processing” setting under the HDR Setting menu. This setting allows customers to choose whether Dolby Vision processing is handled mainly by the TV or the UDP-20x player.
    Added MQA support via the USB DAC In for the UDP-205 players. (More info can be found in the “USB Audio DAC Firmware” section on the UDP-205 support page.)
    Added the “Up-Sample DAC Input” setting under the Audio Processing menu for the UDP-205.
    General fixes and disc compatibility improvements based on recent and upcoming UHD Blu-ray releases as well as user-submitted samples.

SamS likes this.
  3. husafreak

husafreak Great F'n music that's difficult to listen to!

Thanks for the heads up.

4. wolfram

I feel like I need to add a warning here. Unlike earlier beta firmware updates, this one seems to be irreversible. I didn't notice that before.

"Once this firmware version is installed on the player, you will not be able to revert back to any previous official or public beta firmware. There will be no problem upgrading to any future official or beta firmware release."

JediJoker likes this.
  5. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

So best wait for the official (final) version?

bluejimbop likes this.
  6. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I saw that as well and will wait for the official firmware to be released.
    Definitely.

JediJoker likes this.
  7. wolfram

Might be safer. Or at least wait for reports by others who have tried the new firmware.

8. Remember, too, that the UDP-205 Media Player app could be updated to go along with the firmware, especially because of the added MQA USB DAC functionality.

9. husafreak

OK, important point, thanks.

10. hobbes4444

hobbes4444 Forum Addict

I finally got around to updating to fw 56-0224 and that seemed to solve the fade in issue.

bluejimbop and tmtomh like this.
  11. TarnishedEars

TarnishedEars Forum Resident

I thought that I had read previously that the 205 featured MQA support out of the box. Was I mistaken?

12. hobbes4444

hobbes4444 Forum Addict

would be nice if they could resolve gapless playback over usb or network...

GLYNSTYLER likes this.
  13. wolfram

Before this new update it didn't seem to support MQA through the USB DAC input yet. I don't really know, since I don't have the 205.

tmtomh likes this.
  14. wolfram

It's been an issue for so long that by now I'm convinced that it's simply not possible with the hardware in the Oppo machines.

15. soundQman

soundQman Senior Member

I believe the last firmware update I did, the one before this beta version, added it, but maybe not for the USB input port. I haven't tried it.

16. husafreak

I connected my 205 to my home wireless today thinking naively that I could watch You Tube videos or stream music with it but that does not appear possible? In any event what can you do over the wireless with the 205?

17. husafreak

I also saw online that I can use a $49 lightning to HDMI adapter to play music, say from my Spotify account, via the 205. Is there a way to do that wirelessly? From an iPad or iPhone Spotify app? The manual talks about home networks but that is all greek to me.

18. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

For ~$50 you can pick up a used Apple Airport Express or Apple TV which you can AirPlay Spotify to, and the optical output of that box will go into the 205.

19. Hymie the Robot

Hymie the Robot Forum Resident

Set up a server on your PC and stream all your ripped files to the 205 including multichannel. The Oppo will act as a renderer. jRiver works great for that.

20. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

Yes, this is what I will do...Mac laptop to 205. iTunes will play files from my hard drives, with no problem. It will also play my Amazon Prime streaming beautifully.

Hymie the Robot likes this.
  21. Hymie the Robot

Hymie the Robot Forum Resident

I just set up a server a couple weeks ago for my Pioneer Elite BDP-80FD. It works very well. Only bought it to rip SACDs but I found another use for it. Have been researching the 205 since the announcement. Since I rarely play actual discs anymore I am still undecided about getting a 205. I found a multichannel DAC for cheap and I have been using that lately for multichannel stuff and the server to Pioneer Elite for stereo sources. Still might bite on a 205 but I don't feel as desperate as I did when they first announced the discontinuation of their players. My Oppo 83SE is still going strong for the rare direct disc playback.

22. For streaming video, Oppo themselves suggest plugging in a device like a ROKU into the 205. Knowing how quickly streaming services update their apps, Oppo's 203/205 doesn't natively have streaming apps.

23. husafreak

24. I just received a unique email link to purchase the 205. There is a limit of one per customer.

25. A few months back I purchased a 205 from Oppo through a different avenue so I am not going to buy another one now. I clicked on a link to relinquish my spot in the queue so that another person will be able to purchase one.

Brother_Rael and Heavy Music like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.