Oppo UDP-205 Announced

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by ti-triodes, Dec 19, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. soundQman

soundQman Senior Member

This is a bit non-intuitive with the language you use. By non-powered do you actually mean powered, that is, powered by a dedicated external power supply connected to the drive, or from the wall?

2. Hymie the Robot

Hymie the Robot Forum Resident

Luckily, mine sounds excellent using Kodi through HDMI WASAPI. LAN sounds great too but is a bit quirky the way I have mine set up. I do have a USB drive connected to the back but I rarely use it. The UI of the Oppo isn't up to par compared to Kodi and jRiver.

3. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

As best as I can tell, he's saying a flash drive powered by the Oppo is okay, but an actual hard disk powered by the Oppo sounds bad.

Personally, I power my data sources with the might of my imagination, it eliminates these problems as well as reduces jitter and digital grain.

Brother_Rael likes this.
  4. soundQman

soundQman Senior Member

:laugh:

5. robtodd

robtodd Forum Resident

Mazzy have you considered Roon for streaming, playing hirez music? It’s certainly worth trying out on a 14 day trial basis.

6. I’m not a high Rez guy and despite all the angst here about lossless iTunes files from my cd collection works perfectly for me.

It sounds good into my Rotel via airport express, playlists are easy. Dissolves between tracks are great and so on.

Playing files ii usually when I entertain or do House work. Otherwise it’s records and CDs

Thanks for the suggestion though.

robtodd likes this.
  7. mongo

mongo Senior Member

Mazzy, check out JRiver. It will do everything you need, want & more.
    Especially for someone whom digital playback is secondary, Roon is bloody expensive overkill.
    Roon is excellent 1st rate software but it's priced as such and for a different user profile, imo.
    Obviously you care about fidelity and JRiver has that covered as well.

Last I looked Roon is ~$500 for a lifetime license & JRiver is ~$50.

8. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

$500? WOW

Hymie the Robot likes this.
  9. robtodd

robtodd Forum Resident

Yes. I look at it as buying another piece of kit rather than just software.

10. robtodd

robtodd Forum Resident

Fair enough. You definitely avoid the rabbit hole of listening for the air around the music through various resolutions and sampling rates. Don’t even mention MQA without a tin helmet on in readiness for incoming brickbats !!!

11. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

I'll tell you, with all of the things we buy in this hobby, and what they cost, I don't see why $500 for a lifetime subscription to a software-as-service product elicits an emotional response. It's not like it costs more then your power cable or anything.

DrJ and robtodd like this.
  12. Hymie the Robot

In relation to other software, in my opinion, $500 seems like a ridiculous price. YMMV.

13. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

Sure, but again, the nature of this hobby - change the word software to isolation spike, 45 RPM remaster, interconnect, etc and for some reason few people bat an eye.

And compare it to the time I paid $100 for Audirvana and got a terrible product with no further iteration. Paying $10/month to use Roon (I do the annual subscription) is less then I pay for Netflix and similar services each month, and adds a tremendous amount of value to digital music for me.

I'll concede I don't do the $500 "lifetime" price though. The overall concept of a lifetime subscription to software-as-service is a bit too bold for me.

14. I have no problem in investing in these things (and I have and will continue to) but for my personal needs, and the way I play back my 285,000 lossless music files, iTunes works really well for me and that $500 could be used elsewhere.

The Oppo is doing wonderfully for CDs and will for video playback..

Bill Mac likes this.
  15. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

My issue would be how does one know how long a music software provider such as Roon will be in business. Roon could go belly up in the near future and your $500 investment is gone. At least if one spends $500 for a power cable they have that cable for as long as they desire to keep it.

David P. Hill, scobb and Mazzy like this.
  16. Hymie the Robot

My issue is no piece of software is perfect. Roon is very far from perfection. jRiver has a long list of features Roon will never do and the remote app is better. I am sure some features of Roon are great but for $500, ten times the price of jRiver, I would demand perfection. That is just me though.

17. chili555

chili555 Forum Resident

And if Roon goes out of business in five years, where is your investment? Will Microsoft, Apple et al make certain that the now deceased Roon is compatible with each successive operating system version? Doubtful.

If Nordost, or any other power cable manufacturer goes out of business, you still have your cable and it still passes current.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2018
    Bill Mac likes this.
  18. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

19. The people at Roon have said that if they go out of business, they will release an update that will allow the software to work without accessing the online Roon servers, including decryption keys.

PhantomStranger likes this.
  20. Is that written in the license ? Like a pre nup? :tiphat:

Billy Budapest likes this.
  21. I don’t know if it is in the EULA (I doubt it), but I have seen it written in the Roon forum by Roon Support and also Danny Dulai (Roon Labs COO) told me something similar to that effect.

22. Heavy Music

Heavy Music Forum Resident

Ok, Roon is still more expensive than a lot here are willing to pay, regardless. Let's get back to the Oppo UDP-205 issues at hand, thanks.

23. I’ve gotten the idea
    I don’t disagree about Roon’s price structure. However, because the 205 is a Roon endpoint, discussion of Roon is germane to this thread.

robtodd likes this.
  24. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

$500 is more than any of my power cables. :) (Not a lot more, mind you)

25. mongo

mongo Senior Member

I'm not saying that Roon is overpriced, I was just saying that for Mazzy's situation, I thought it would be overkill.
    I've been in IT the vast majority of my adult life and well written software that is intuitive to use is a rare beast and costs a lot of money to get right.
    It also takes smart management to allow the devs to spend the time to get it right.
    I think it's fantastic that we have software like Roon, JRiver etc.
    Look at Microsoft. The brilliant Start button in Windows 95 and then some genius program manager decides to sh!tcan it from Win 7.
    That is a special kind of stupid.
    Don't even ask about Vista

Last edited: Jul 18, 2018
    Mazzy likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.