Oppo UDP-205 Announced

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by ti-triodes, Dec 19, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. David Johnson

David Johnson Forum Resident

I care about SACD's!
    I use my 105 for the DAC and playing about 5000 albums (CD's ripped to flac) from a hard drive connected to it.
    I use it to play Bluray audio disks as well.
    I don't think I have ever played an actual cd through it.
    I seldom use it to watch DVD's or Bluray disk on the TV. I don't really care about TV or surround. Just two chanel music.

Great unit and I feel like I have gotten my money's worth out of it for the last three years. At $1200, I couldn't have asked for more.

Now looking at a Esoteric and will probably be using the Oppo as a transport.

Funky54 and Linger63 like this.
  2. Funky54

Funky54 Coat Hangers do not sound good

The 105 is a great player, I enjoyed mine. I used mine in the same ways, and with Blu-rays. If digital music is your goal it's the first player I'd buy.

3. Funky54

Yep…for me. I dont know what's important to you cause " I don't think anyone gives a **** if you care about SACD and DVD-A or not." Your passionate thats for sure.

4. Funky54

I've only read 3 forums, and only parts here and there. It wasn't hard to find others unhappy who purchased only to discover some of its short comes or missing features.

If you like its feature set that's great, buy it. I only commented on my disappointment that it didn't have streaming. So no big deal, I'll buy another. I also am disappointed that it won't be the decoder anymore (because I really liked the 105 decoding) and no other player will do that either for Atmos. Why do you guys feel so hurt about my opinion?

5. Funky54

Atmos is one of many new formats that give the audience a greater sense of being involved in the audio portion of a movie. Maybe you've seen things like 5.1.4, 5.1.2 or 7.2.4
    It represents first the old surround formats your familiar with like 5.1 (L, C, R, R Rear, L Rear) only now instead of the sound going around you, now you have additional ceiling speakers (or reflection height speakers) that give you a canopy of sound. It's far more dimensional than the old surround formats. This new type of format is hear (pun intended) to stay. It's so good, that it will drive its way into mainstream as a standard sooner than most consumers may think. It's very impressive and adds a great deal to the cinema feel.

There are still fans of Super Audio CD's. But it's a format that is losing momentum. I'm all for better Audio. I don't need SACD myself. It's a format with very little future offerings. Maybe vinyl is a fad, maybe not, but it is growing incredibly fast and is where the physical media portion of the audiophile industry is going. So with my eggs in that basket I don't need SACD. All my digital hi-Rez is HDTrack (when vinyl is not available) or once in a while a CD. I only have about 8 SACD's and truthfully I dont always think they are better than the same standard CD. It's just not what I think will be in the future. And the Stats of purchases back that up.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2016
  6. Funky54

As much mine as anyone else's.

7. Funky54

Yes I am very thankful that many pre's and AVR's now use similar DAC's AND THEY HANDLE THE ATMOS CONVERSION. Room correction is really down to preference. Many times I'll tune just using a sound meter and once all channels are equal I'll tweak a bit from there. Other times I'll like the calibration and leave it. Where I work we have been a dealer for Parasound, Anthem, Marantz, Denon, Integra, Sony, Bryston, Moon,Yamaha, McCormick and several others. I have owned Carver, Outlaw, Emotiva and a few others. It's my opinion that fewer interconnects as a practice make for better sound. Minimizing conversions is also a good practice. You can do whatever you like. By all means if HDMI connected through multiple added devices sounds better to you then that's the way to go. I will be doing it for theater so that I can have Atmos.

Given a choice I would prefer the decoding take place in the player… and that's no longer a choice. So my whole point is that means Oppo isn't special anymore.

8. John-G

John-G Forum Resident

Ive got the 203 version modified for multi-zones, ive compare my tube ekco cd player with the oppo and theres hardly a difference. i played the exact same track via foobar flac usb and the same original cd on the oppo player. the only slight difference was the oppo had slightly more high treble and the tube cd player had warmer sound, there was very minimal difference, but my cd player cost £1450 and the oppo £750, the differences was subtle but they was there. I did buy my oppo for 4k movies for playing on my hdr 10 tv and for playing usa and uk releases on standard bluray becuase its a modified 203 so i think Ill stick to my oppo for blurays and my cd player for my music. the 205 does look amazing but I rushed to buy this as soon as it came out and I didnt realise at the time they had plans for a 205 release but still Im happy with the 203, its an excellent player and the video and audio are amazing. well worth the money :D

9. Hymie the Robot

Hymie the Robot Forum Resident

Bragging about not caring about multichannel SACD and DVD-AUDIO in favor of vinyl on an Oppo thread is hilarious.

10. Linger63

Linger63 Forum Resident

Fewer I/C's???.........Ummm that would be HDMI then!!!!

What actual "conversions" do you think get minimized???...........it's simply either using the Player's DAC or the AVR's DAC...........how does using the player's DAC minimize anything?

Multiple added devices????...............errr..........just a TV for video and a Pre/Pro for audio...:confused:

MY point was that.......from YOUR point of view.........as NO player has on board ATMOS decoding..........NO player is special anymore......ALL of them!!!! :laugh:
    Currently you DO NOT have ANY player choice regarding ATMOS decoding. :shrug:

Bill Mac likes this.
  11. Linger63

Linger63 Forum Resident

And sadly.........all too common..........

Great Avatar BTW.......:cool:

Bill Mac and Hymie the Robot like this.
  12. Funky54

It got to that as the conversation evolved. I'm simply conveying why I for one dont see an advantage with the Oppo.

13. Funky54

The Oppo 105 was a Swiss Army knife for the audio world in that you could use it as a pre. Personally I had it connected for a time directly to power amps. So it was disc in, player decodes, signal went straight to amps, amps went straight to speakers.

If the new formats could have been supported with decoding I would have done the same. As to sound degradation, humor me and use nice quality analog interconnects out of any Oppo's from the past and compare two channel directly from the oppo to an amp. Then go back to an HDMI from the oppo into a pre and then from the pre to the amps, I'm willing to bet if your speakers are not satellites and decent you'll hear a distinct loss of definition using the HDMI.

I am going to buy a 4k player. It will likely be one that streams so that i dont have to add another device with another hdmi cable in play from signal to speakers. There simply are no other features that the oppo has that i could use that make it a better choice out of the other players.

14. townsend

townsend Senior Member

Did you modify the 203 yourself, to make it multi-zone, or was it sold to you already modified? What I am looking for is any info on self-installed modification kits (sold on ebay or elsewhere). I know the modification kits worked well with the 103/105 generation of machines, but just looking for any info/changes regarding the 203, which I am contemplating buying and modifying. Thanks.

15. BSC

BSC Forum Resident

Movies and multi-channel are not my thing though I don't mind the experience sad for me that in modern releases as opposed to the early days of DVD there is almost never a stereo soundtrack-something I'm set up for.

SACD is what it is-it's what I argued it was as an early adopter who bailed out-a niche audiophile format therefore without exception the music reflects that a strong dependency on classical, jazz and some classic rock. I have as I have regained my interest in the format became a keen buyer but I understand exactly what the format is. Blu Ray Audio is exactly the same.

I think the quite obvious mistake you are making is to not only personalise what the Oppo should be but despite your later correct conclusion " The Oppo 105 is a swiss army knife for the audio world" you seem to think Oppo don't understand their demographic with their top player.

Downloads are soulless for me-and I have bought a lot-with mixed results but I get the appeal but it's not growing is it-from what I've read it is going the other way-therefore it is not unlike SACD in it's early days. Streaming is exactly the same for me and indeed again I get the appeal but the drawbacks of streaming services are obvious-no genuine time invested getting to know music and when you have everything-well where is the excitement of a purchase or a listen? All it has done is devalued music on a lot of levels. But I do get's it's appeal so it's not for me.

We are chasing different goals-which is fine but it is interesting that we both have the same source player in the 105. Whether they can continue that success with the 205 will be challenging for them-the source material market has fragmented so it is difficult for them.

The beauty for me in 2016 is to have my stereo sources-Blu Ray, SACD, downloads, CD and DVDA at a very good level via a high quality DAC plus I can stream if I want-I can do that at a higher level than the source provides but the source is crucial.

As for comments on HDMI completely wrong-my system is pretty high end and HDMI delivers on that front indeed nowhere have I heard SACD etc sound as good as through my system and that includes a top dCS system.....

Linger63 likes this.
  16. Funky54

I really appreciate your post. I think we agree on a lot more than we may disagree on. I switched to vinyl from digital. But when I was digital (and the entire reason I bought the 103 and then the 105) was 2 channel CD and SACD. The Oppo is wonderful at decoding it.

In an audiophile two channel context I agree and would choose the same as you. But in a Cinema, Theater context the OPPO for me anyway didnt provide the features I need In a player.

like you I'm far more intereeted in Two Channel than Multi channel. But for me its vinyl so a player is focused on theater and multi channel. Atmos is truly wonderful. If you haven't heard it set up and tuned yet, treat your self soon. Its a big step up in the theater experience.

17. David Johnson

David Johnson Forum Resident

Not to change the thread direction, but a quick question?
    So I have the 105 and have used it for 3 years. I want to get a better DAC to match my equipment for 2 channel stereo. Either I buy something else, send the 105 to be Modwrighted or just keep what I have until another something new arrives. I specifically want a unit that will accept an external hard drive via a usb cable, and have streaming capability which can be interfaced with a tablet.
    I have looked at a few options here. Esoteric N05, Naim NDS or NDX, Bryston BDA-3. I would prefer balanced inputs if I could.
    What other options do I have out there around 10K or less?
    I may still wait for the 205, and at worse case just use it for a transport, but I can do that as well with the 105.

18. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

Then why are you on this thread? :help:

Bill Mac likes this.
  19. Linger63

Linger63 Forum Resident

Good luck........:)

Bill Mac likes this.
  20. Funky54

The subject is the new Oppo. A lot of folks don't understand that it doesnt stream and that it wont decode the new formats.

21. Ozric

Ozric Senior Member

You made your point, come back here when you find one that does Stream and Decode Atmos ! Until then move on, your continuous whining about what it can't do is making me nauseous :hurl:

Bill Mac likes this.
  22. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Do you go to other component threads to let folks know what features are lacking or do you just focus on Oppo threads? I ask as it seems you're taking the "Good Samaritan" stance here and if that's true then you shouldn't limit yourself to just Oppo products ;).

How many times do you have to be told that there is not a single Blu-ray or 4k player currently available that decodes the "new formats" internally? Not sure when you'll be able to wrap your mind around that fact. To keep bringing it up post after post is just ridiculous :rolleyes:.

23. ti-triodes

ti-triodes Senior Member Thread Starter

AQ is close that you couldn't go wrong with either machine. I would lean towards the 105. It's a newer model, with improved USB connectivity. It offers gapless playback which the 95 doesn't for digital files. It also has a headphone amp built in. I'm sure some 105 owners can chime in if there are any other major differences.

But you really couldn't go wrong with either machine.

Steel Horse, Linger63 and Bill Mac like this.
  24. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I agree with ti-triodes in that the 105 would be the better choice over the 95 for the reasons listed. I had the 95 and the fan noise (when running) was audible from 7'-8' away. The 105/105D does not have a fan so it's not an issue. I would hold off till Oppo announces the specs and features of the 205. If the 205 doesn't look good then the 105/105D would be an excellent choice IMO.

ti-triodes, Steel Horse and Linger63 like this.
  25. Funky54

I didnt make my point for you. You just go ahead and stop reading my posts. I understand your very sensitive and reading my posts makes you upset.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.