Oppo vs Sony for SACD, DVD-Audio, etc.?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by ergalthema, Aug 15, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ergalthema

ergalthema Active Member Thread Starter

I'm having trouble understanding how players handle formats like SACD and DVD-Audio over HDMI (to my Onkyo TX-NR646). I would like the ability to play both formats in 5.1.

I've been looking at Oppo 970 and 981 - they seem similar for my needs, but I'm not 100% sure they will get SACD and DVD-Audio as 5.1 through my receiver. It appears that they don't do DSD bitstream, but their PCM via HDMI might work if it's 5.1

I'm also considering the Sony BDP-S6200, but I have similar questions about it.

Can anyone help and possibly make a recommendation based off what I'm looking for?

2. lv70smusic

lv70smusic Senior Member

I assume you are looking to buy used in order to save money? If so, I don't see why any of these players wouldn't work in the way you are suggesting -- PCM via HDMI into your Onkyo.

3. ergalthema

Yes, I have a Xbox One S for Blu-ray. When I look around, posts aren't clear whether all those play SACD and DVD-Audio, and if they send 5.1 (either via PCM or DSD). I'd like confirmation.

4. mike100

mike100 New Member

sony BDPS6700 works perfectly with my Onkyo, with the added bonus of being able to play sacd's from the disc direct.

5. jfbar167

jfbar167 Forum Resident

Based on the quick review I read on the Oppo 970, it WILL (via PCM convert) output SACD 5.1 , DVD Audio as well. However, the same review (Oppo DV-970HD DVD Player Review ) mentioned that sound quality (via HDMI) was somewhat "compressed" and not up to par. The Sony (BDP-6200) looks like it will NOT play either SACD or DVDA.

Realistically, you need to step up to a blue ray to get a decent "universal" optical player with Multichannel HDMI support. Yamaha, Marantz, and Pioneer make several decent ones that are not too pricy.

boboquisp likes this.
  6. ergalthema

Xbox One S is my Blu-ray player since I want HDR 4K. Many people have recommended older DVD players for SACD and DVD-Audio (considering they are available for under $100).

Edit: Also, I had read that review. It gets confusing because there is an update where it says the HDMI PCM issues were a result of settings, and that some things were improved with firmware I also don't recall if it specifically said 5.1 PCM is sent via HDMI.

7. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I'd suggest the Oppo 83 which was their first generation Blu-ray universal player. The 83 will play all the formats you're interested as well as Blu-ray Audio. The 83 does DSD via HDMI which according to the Onkyo TX-NR646 manual (linked below page 22) accepts DSD via HDMI.

https://pdf.crutchfieldonline.com/ImageBank/v20150830165500/Manuals/580/580TXN646.PDF
    OPPO Digital - Ultra HD Blu-ray Disc Players - Buy Direct from the Manufacturer
    http://www.oppodigital.com/download/bdp83/bdp-83_english_manual.pdf

chili555 likes this.
  8. jfbar167

jfbar167 Forum Resident

The Oppo DV-981 looks like a good choice, there currently is 3 on the "eBay" for 65-90. Like I stated before, most DVD "universal" players did NOT do HDMI multi channel (especially SACD), they used multi ANALOG outputs.

9. lv70smusic

lv70smusic Senior Member

If I were going to spend $65 to $95 on a player, it wouldn't be a several years old player that may be on the verge of no longer playing discs properly. Lots of used audio equipment is safe to buy but, for my money, I would never buy either a turntable or an optical disc player used unless the item was priced so low that I wouldn't mind if it failed quickly. For about double that used price, you can get a refurbed Sony X800 from BestBuy and that plays dvd-audio, SACD, blu-ray audio, 4K discs, and 3D discs. I ordered one of the refurbed units and think it really was just an open box item. The player is bare bones in terms of other features (including no display), but for disc playback compatibility I don't know that it can be beat for the price.

tkl7 likes this.
  10. ergalthema

I can't find a Sony X800 for less than $200 anywhere. Considering I have a Xbox One S for Blu-ray, I'd rather spend -$100 for SACD and DVD-A. That works better for my budget. I appreciate the opinion though.

11. tmtomh

tmtomh Forum Resident

If your budget is around $100, then the old Oppos are a good bet.

If one can stretch to $200 (and I'm not saying you should in your case), the Sony X800 is a very nice choice - but folks on this forum should be aware that the new Sony players have no analogue outputs. Not an issue if you're looking for HDMI output as the OP is, but of course a total dealbreaker if you ever want to hook up the player to a regular stereo amplifier.

ti-triodes, Bill Mac and krlpuretone like this.
  12. 360-12

360-12 Forum Resident

NOT true. There are a number of HDMI to RCA converters available. I use one to hook my X800 to my McIntosh from the audio only HDMI output. Works great! Cost 12 bucks and it will carry video, too.

13. lv70smusic

lv70smusic Senior Member

Best Buy has refurbished ones for $160. For someone wanting a universal player who intends to use HDMI out, it's an excellent deal as long as you can live with the bare bones functionality (no analog out, no front panel display, very basic remote, not multiregion capable).

High Fidelity likes this.
  14. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

Last edited: Aug 16, 2017
  15. High Fidelity

High Fidelity Well-Known Member

I agree the Sony X800 is excellent apart from no display and has to be connected to TV.I avoid expensive Oppo as I find Sony have better video & SQ, would not buy s/h of either brand.

16. lv70smusic

lv70smusic Senior Member

No dvd-audio on that model, right?

17. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

DVD-A isn't listed, but I'd be interested to know if that's absolutely the case. Might be worth the OP checking...tell you what, I'll tweet Panasonic.

18. tmtomh

tmtomh Forum Resident

Well, sure, if you want to spend $200 on a player that's just a digital transport, and pair it with a $12 DAC with unknown audio specs, go ahead. But for a dedicated audio setup, I would imagine one could get better performance for $212 by investing in a used higher-end player with analogue outputs, or a cheaper transport and a better DAC.

Guss2 likes this.
  19. 360-12

360-12 Forum Resident

It's a bit more...
    • plays Ultra HD Blu-ray discs, 3D and standard Blu-ray discs, SACDs, DVD-Audio, DVDs, CDs and rewriteable discs
    • full 4K resolution video for use with Ultra HD TVs
      • 4K video upscaling for standard Blu-ray and DVDs
    • supports lower resolutions when used with non-4K TVs
    • HDR (High Dynamic Range) for extended picture contrast and brightness on compatible TVs
      • supports HDR10 format

20. 360-12

360-12 Forum Resident

As for the converter:
    Features:

1.No need to install drivers,portable,flexible,plug and play.

2.Output the audio synchronization with video.

3.High bandwidth capability support 1920x1080@60Hz.

4.Support NTSC and PAL two standard TV formats output.

5.Compatible:HDMI 1.3

Specifications:

Output ports: 1x RCA (Yellow,White,Red).

Input ports: 1x HDMI.

Product dimension: 66(D)x55(W)x20(H) mm

Weight: 110(g)

HDMI Input Resolution:

640x480@60Hz,800x600@60Hz,1024x768@60Hz,1280x720@60Hz,1280x1024@60Hz,1360x768@60Hz,1600x1200@60Hz,1920x1080@60Hz. 180i/60Hz,480p/60Hz,576i/60Hz,576p/60Hz,720p50/60Hz,1080I50/60Hz,1080p/60Hz. CVBS output:pAL,NTSC_M,and NTSC_J

21. tmtomh

tmtomh Forum Resident

No disagreement that the player and the converter both work very nicely, or that the player has very good video specs. But for someone who wants a disc player for use in a stereo audio setup, there are no specs given for that converter. It might contain an amazing DAC for all I know - but given that it costs $12, is billed as a "converter" rather than a DAC, and has only video-related specs listed, it would seem it's not a safe bet if you're looking for the best possible analogue signal for an amp, and it's not clear if it passes through high-res audio signals at all - particularly the DSD audio output from an SACD.

Bill Mac likes this.
  22. 360-12

360-12 Forum Resident

Agreed - my point was there is an audio option. To my ears it sounds fine.

23. jfbar167

jfbar167 Forum Resident

RoyH likes this.
  24. ergalthema

Well, I've changed my tune a bit and I'm actually considering a Sony UBP-X800. I only have a Xbox One S for Blu-ray. It's looking like the Sony UBP-X800 does all the same as the Xbox plus SACD and DVD-A. So, I might get it and sell my Xbox.

I realize the Xbox might have better support for updates, but there are some things I don't like about it - navigating with a controller, some bugs/glitches, etc.

Any thoughts about that?

25. EddieVanHalen

EddieVanHalen Forum Resident

I have the Sony and can also play DSDmultichannel files. I don't know where to get/buy these but I have ALL my SACD's ripped into ISO's. The Sony X-800 doesn't play SACD's ISO's but you can extract DSD files from and ISO, either stereo or multichannel using a Window's program called ISO2DSD, The Sony X-800 will play them flawlessly via USB from a thumb drive or an HDD (I use a SSD) this way you won't wear out the player's optical reading unit with Hybrids SACD's.

Brother_Rael likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.