Oppo's Facebook page announces UHD 4K player: UDP-203*

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by IAMBLEST, Jun 3, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mongo

mongo Senior Member

Whatever you think, Blu-ray is the better format and that is coming from a one time HD-DVD owner.
    The one and only time I dove into a format war before it was settled.
    Expensive mistake.
    Had to learn a lesson I already knew the hard way.
    Stupid.
    Sony won that one in an instant when Warner bailed.
    Sony knows failed formats better than everyone else put together.

SteelyTom likes this.
  2. BossCo

BossCo Well-Known Member

Will there be a UDP-205?
    Yes, the UDP-205 will be released in early 2017, around 2-3 months after the UDP-203. Details for this particular model will be available at a later date.

I love Oppo! Not ready for 4K here yet, but looking forward nonetheless to what the UDP-205 will offer.

Oppo BDP-95 (audio only)
    BDP-105D (theatre room)

3. Linger63

Linger63 Forum Resident

If you are hooking up your 105D to your Yammy AVR at HDMI level and utilising YPAO that's great and IMHO the right way to go but............the improved analog section of your 105D that sets it apart from a 103D ( SQ and $ wise) is now wasted.

That being the case.......... a new 203 would be a better fit as a transport only whilst also offering 4K support (amongst some other things ) should you ever want/need it.
    You could then play off your 95 vs the 105 and sell the loser to pay for a 203.

Either way............a 205 (in the HT room) would be simply repeating the "overkill" situation ( when the required extra funds could be better spent elsewhere or not at all).

If you ARE utilising your 105D's DAC's by connecting to your Yammy's analog M/C ins and prefer the SQ that way.........
    Then I will happily "exit stage right" and apologise for wasting your time!!! :tiphat:

Last edited: Dec 22, 2016
    Kristofa and BeatlesBop like this.
  4. acdc7369

acdc7369 Forum Resident

What sort of bugs?

5. acdc7369

acdc7369 Forum Resident

Does DSD ripping work in the 203?

6. lamf1983

lamf1983 Forum Resident

For what it's worth regarding bugs - I got mine earlier in the week. I thought there were issues with my player at first. After I hooked it up, the remote turned the machine on, but no video appeared onscreen, and none of the other remote functions worked. After inserting the update cd it came with (after manually hitting the tray open and play button on the face of machine itself), the disc ran and after a couple of minutes, self-ejected. After that ,"OPPO" appeared in nice big letters on the screen, it booted up, and everything has been working perfectly.

It seems getting that update cd to run was VERY important!

7. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

I don't think so, but will try and give it a shot tomorrow.

wolfram likes this.
  8. Hymie the Robot

Hymie the Robot Forum Resident

In what way? You didn't give any specific reason. I did, and it was a big difference.

...leads me to a 4k player question, is the menu feature advanced compared to bluray and closer to what hd-dvd had to offer?

9. Guss2

Guss2 Senior Member

Not going to go into it, but it's a new format so these things happen. Check out AVS forums for user input. I'm sure OPPO will make things right, because they seem to be better than most.

10. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

Front projection owners were anticipating that the new Oppo would provide functionality to send SDR (rather than HDR) but with the larger color space (of UHD content). From what I gather, an HD Fury is currently the work-around for those using the Panny 4k player. Doubt that many here are interested, but I believe Oppo is beta testing the desired functionality.

11. mongo

mongo Senior Member

I really don't know where you get the HD-DVD menus were better thing.
    The menus are dependent on the disc authoring.
    Blu-ray vs HD-DVD.
    Disc capacity.
    Available bandwidth.
    Those 2 right there are plenty.
    Besides it's way beyond a beating a dead horse now.
    Enjoy the stagnant content catalog!

12. Rachael Bee

Rachael Bee Miembra muy loca

Maybe the HD-DVD Menus were better...? They didn't cause the discs to lose the Last Memory function like the Java Menus on most of the early BD's . Otherwise, who cares....we're talking menus.....

Oppo has given me some instructions on how to maybe get my 203 going by hitting the Play button on the faceplate or Resolution button on the remote. I'm gonna give that a go in a while. Oppo should of included special instructions with these players since they don't respond like most players out of the box. Mine seemed defective......maybe it's not. I'll find out soon.

13. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

I forgot to tell you try the Resolution button on the remote. It cycles through, stop on "Custom" which should be 1080p. Also, you might want to try it directly connected to your display, until you get it up and running. And use the included cable, as it's HDMI.org certified.

14. ti-triodes

ti-triodes Senior Member

The vast majority are HDMI handshake issues. It's normal because HDMI blows, to put it politely. A change of cables usually sets most people right. There's a number of other things that Oppo will correct with FW updates. So far, few people are returning their 203's.

About normal for a new "format".

BeatlesBop likes this.
  15. Rachael Bee

The deck came to life last night. I can't remember if I hit Resolution or the Play button first. The firmware loaded pretty quickly. My first UHD-BD played was Hunger Games Catching Fire. There was only one hiccup. At about the one hour, fifty-three minute mark, the disc frooze for about 5-8 seconds. Then playback went purr-fect till the end. After the movie was over I backed the disc to 1:52 and played the next three minutes with no freeze.

I started Ride With The Devil on Criterion BD and watched about 45 minutes before I got too tired and shut it down. I'll finish it later......

16. Hymie the Robot

There was a feature on hd-dvd's that you could have a menu pop up while watching your movie or concert film, and browse to any chapter or part of the disc on the fly while it was still playing. I care because it was better. You still haven't offered up a reason why bluray "is better"...

edit...I meant to quote mongo's post.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2016
  17. Rachael Bee

Blu-ray is a better format but the Java Menus sucked on the early BD's because they disabled the Resume function. That was so stew-pudd!!!!

18. Hymie the Robot

HDi (interactivity) - Wikipedia ยป

19. Hymie the Robot

See post above. That is what made it better, especially for concerts. Bluray has a higher bitrate, but it is a small difference and I wonder how many films actually utilized that with the different compressions.

20. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Cool. Yep, they're working on that little stutter you saw.

21. Rachael Bee

Should I expect one, or more, of these hiccups on every UHD-BD I play? Is it only gonna happen on UHD discs?

22. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Probably will happen on Blu-rays, as well.

23. Hymie the Robot

Doubt that.

24. Nostaljack

Nostaljack Resident R&B enthusiast

HDMI isn't awful in and of itself - at least not in my experience. It's awful only on long runs. Handshaking issues 6 days a week and twice on Sundays. 3-6 feet? Not and issue for me and I've been installing video systems requiring long runs for a few years now.

Ed

25. chili555

chili555 Forum Resident

Typically, users come to these threads to complain or ask for help to solve a problem. That gives the false impression that every or perhaps most UDP-203 owners have a problem or is not happy. In the interest of balance, I want to describe my experience.

I am a long-time Oppo customer and fan and wanted to upgrade my BDP-83. I submitted my email to Oppo and was given the opportunity to order one on December 12. I did.

When my unit arrived, I connected it to my Marantz AV7702MkII (with the Oppo-provided HDMI cable) and thence to my Samsung UN60KS8000 (with a Monoprice 6 ft. HDMI cable). I initially had flashing but, on the advice of avsforum, set the color space to 4:4:4 10-bit. Thereafter, I have had no issues whatever. I have played 4k UHD discs, blu-rays, DVDs, SACDs and CDs with no issues whatever.

The analog outputs are connected to my Audible Illusions preamp for redbook CD.

I am very happy to have this remarkable player in my system. My son and I watched The Martian: Extended Addition in 4k HDR last evening and it was awesome!

SteelyTom, Bill Mac and Linger63 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.