Oppo's Facebook page announces UHD 4K player: UDP-203*

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by IAMBLEST, Jun 3, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Heavy Music

Heavy Music Forum Resident

I remember reading about it in this forum earlier this year. I tried to find it through the search function, no success. I am hoping someone else here would remember and
    reply.

2. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I follow all the Oppo threads and never saw any mention of the upcoming Oppo 4k players not being universal players.

Bill

3. Heavy Music

Heavy Music Forum Resident

I have certainly been wrong before, it may have come from a non-Oppo started thread, or I may have read it elsewhere or I may be mistaken entirely. I do hope I am wrong, I would rather get the latest & greatest with all the bells and whistles!

4. gd0

gd0 Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies

Maybe they'll do both to accommodate different price points.

Their products are nothing if not thoroughly thought out.

Bill Mac likes this.
  5. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I agree on both points :)! I sent an email to Oppo asking if the new 4k players will be universal players. I'll post their response which is normally quite quick even on weekends.

Bill

Last edited: Jun 4, 2016
    Simon A and Heavy Music like this.
  6. I'm still using my BDP-83, which this forthcoming unit will replace. 4K is a nice feature, but I'm sure there will be other enhancements, updated chips/circuits, etc.

7. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Typical of Oppo service I received a reply to my email within hours even on a Saturday :).

Bill,

Yes, that is our anticipation.

Best Regards,
    Customer Service
    OPPO Digital, Inc.

BeatlesBop, Gardo, Dino and 4 others like this.
  8. mongo

mongo Senior Member

Oh well then, it's on an Internet forum posted by someone who knows nothing, i.e., see Bill's post.
    This thread will soon be 25 pages of no new or real information.
    Then the 2k vs 4k debate.
    Someone from the Shetland Islands will post that Blu-ray is BS and DVD or Laser Disc is as good as anyone needs.
    It's a reality that by Christmas 2016 you probably won't be able to buy a decent 2k display from a major manufacturer.
    This September's CEDIA will be the bellwether.
    4k is coming on faster than I thought it would.
    It is not a repeat of 3D.

BeatlesBop likes this.
  9. vinyl_puppy

vinyl_puppy Der Weaselschnitzel

Wouldn't there have to be more outs to accommodate Atmos/Auro/DTS-X channels? Just speculating on that.

10. skriefal

skriefal Senior Member

I would be surprised if in-player decoding of Atmos/DTS:X supports anything more than the "core" 7.1 stream.

Even if it did support 7.2.4, or 9.2.4, etc, analog output for Atmos or DTS-X - how would you use that output? Would you feed it into two or more separate pre-amp/amp pairs, or two or more A/V receivers with 7.1 ins? That would be a little too Rube Goldbergian for my tastes.

Funky54 likes this.
  11. Funky54

Funky54 Coat Hangers do not sound good

What I'm hoping for:
    7.1 analog outs
    2 min HDMI outs
    Analog stereo ins

It would serve as my preamp as well if only it had stereo ins...

12. Funky54

Just get a decent 12 channel amp and one good stereo amp. You'd be all set. For surrounds you don't need the best. If I ever go atmos I'll use my outlaw audio still for 5 channel (CENTER, R surround right, R surround left, R Right, R Left) My Carver L/R. And I'll add another 6 channel amp fur the rest.

13. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

East Lothian actually. :D

mongo likes this.
  14. mongo

mongo Senior Member

It's called HDMI :)

Jaap74 likes this.
  15. Funky54

I don't like HDMI. In some ways it's better and in some ways it creates a lot of problems. I like HDMI video but analog audio.

scobb likes this.
  16. Clay B

Clay B Forum Resident

This response is no surprise. Aside from the quality of their product, their customer service stands out. No wonder they grow and grow and grow. As a not too subtle contrast, a friend recently purchased a Sony 4k TV for his new house that did not work out of the box. It took a week of back and forth before a replacement was agreed to by Sony and then the replacement was obviously refurbished or at least previously opened. One company is growing rapidly while one company stagnates. No surprises in either case.

Gardo, ti-triodes and Bill Mac like this.
  17. mongo

mongo Senior Member

My opinion only.
    The speculation that the next-gen Oppo would not or may not offer universal disc playing capability would kill off a huge portion of their customer demographic.
    This is Oppo's stock in trade. Offer the most functionality and performance at an unbeatable price point.
    It's what has given Oppo their place in the market which is an enviable one.
    It would defy logic that the next-gen offerings would be any less capable than what has come before.

18. Jack Flannery

Jack Flannery Forum Resident

Same here. My Oppo is mostly just a digital head.

Robert van Diggele likes this.
  19. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Then why would you even be interested in an Oppo player? I don't know much about media players but isn't that what you should be looking at?

Bill

20. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I totally agree. From the response I received from Oppo the new 4k models will be universal players. So if one has no need or desire for disc playback capability then the money would be better spent elsewhere IMO.

Bill

21. scotpagel

scotpagel Forum Resident

I'm glad they still maintain using the DVD A capability in all of their players so far, years after having the industry abandoned it. I still have a bunch if discs and listen to them either on my two channel or theater system for surround. Hopefully the next players have everything the 103d and 105d had, plus UHD capability.

22. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I agree as I have quite a few DVD-As as well. I'm very confident that the new Oppo 4k models will be universal players as the 103 and 105D are :).

Bill

ben_wood likes this.
  23. Rachael Bee

Rachael Bee Miembra muy loca

How many different disc readers will the UHD-BD player need? 3 or more...?

24. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Good question but not really a concern for me. If the new Oppo 4k models perform with all disc formats as the 103 and 105D does then I'm good :).

Bill

25. MrRom92

MrRom92 Forum Supermodel

I would imagine 3 pickups for the different wavelengths in use. Really no more necessary than their existing disc players, the disc specification for uhd is no different than blu ray, the players just need to be able to actually decode the data.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.