Oppo's Facebook page announces UHD 4K player: UDP-203*

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by IAMBLEST, Jun 3, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rachael Bee

Rachael Bee Miembra muy loca

I got my replacement copy of Deepwater Horizon. The 203 had a freeze-up at the one hour and thirty-one minute mark. I backed it up and tried to play through 3 , no go. I didn't play the whole movie on my Samsung 8500 but it played through the 1:31 mark just fine.

Bill Larson likes this.
  2. Bgf1973

Bgf1973 Forum Resident

Hi:

Would you exchange a sony bdp-s790 for an OPPO udp-203 for use primarily as a SACD and Blu Ray Audio player? It would be connect to a Marantz SR-6010 AV

Thanks

3. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Do you not like the Sony? I'm assuming you're using HDMI. Do you need 4k video or DVD-Audio playback? If not then the Oppo 203 really isn't offering you much more over the Sony. I'm a huge Oppo fan and unless you have the urge to spend the money for the 203 I'd stay with the Sony.

Bgf1973 likes this.
  4. Bgf1973

Bgf1973 Forum Resident

Thanks Bill.

I am happy with the Sony BDP-S790. I am using HDMI for multichanel and analog outputs for Stereo. I think that using 7.1 analog output from The 203 to my SR-6010 I will get better results for multichannel.

The Sony BDP.S790 plays DVD-Audio too. I have a lot of them

Soon I expect to get a 4K tv

Thanks

Last edited: Apr 11, 2017
  5. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

My pleasure :). Not an Oppo expert just an owner and a fan ;).

I have a 103 and a 105D in the same rack. I use HDMI for all multichannel music in order to take advantage of Dirac room correction in the Emotiva XMC-1. If you are using Audyssey with the SR-6010 it is not an option when using the 7.1 analog input I believe. I would also think the SR-6010's bass management is more flexible than the 203's is. If you are using analog for stereo music I would believe the 203 will sound better than the S790.

As an Oppo fan I believe the SR-6010 (excellent AVR!) and the 203 would be a great pairing :).

Bgf1973 likes this.
  6. soundQman

soundQman Senior Member

I owned that Sony model and gave it away as a gift after I bought my Oppo 105. Much better sound to me on some discs, particularly Blu Ray stereo hi-res PCM program material. The BDP-S790 had audible distortion and was less dynamic on some source material.

Bgf1973 likes this.
  7. Bgf1973

Bgf1973 Forum Resident

Hi:

Bought yesterday, but I can not connect it until next week.

Bill, the seller told to me the same, better hdmi than analog connection fot multichannel, because there are more setup options in the MARANTZ . I dont understand this at all because I usually use the pure audio option for listening music. In this case is it not better use the analog connection for multichannel too?

Thanks

8. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Excellent, enjoy :)! I'm definitely not an expert on this but stereo music using Pure Audio is using just two speakers with no bass management needed. With multichannel music you have to account for multiple speakers with settings such as distances/delays, crossovers if a sub is used and LFE (for the sub) which the Marantz will have much better control than the Oppo will IMO. Then on top of that if you use Audyssey it would not be an option if you use the 7.1 analog connection. Again I'm far from an expert on this but in my experience HDMI works best in my system.

9. Bgf1973

Bgf1973 Forum Resident

Then I dont understand why a Blu ray player has 7.1 analog output. Is there any AV or amplifier who has 7.1 analog input but not HDMI?

10. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

The 7.1 analog was offered so those with non HDMI processors would have the option to play multichannel video and music discs. I doubt there are current processors without HDMI and just a 7.1 analog input. But before HDMI there were many processors with 5/7.1 analog inputs. Oppo is one of the last companies if not the last that still offers a 7.1 analog input on their players.

Plan9, JediJoker, gd0 and 1 other person like this.
  11. Bgf1973

Bgf1973 Forum Resident

I was convinced that 7.1 was later than HDMI. In fact The 7.1 Blu ray films are relatively recents

12. scobb

scobb Forum Resident

This is the back of my Arcam AVR300 (came out about 2004 I think) which pre-dates HDMI (at least as a standard connection). You can see the 7.1 analogue in and the 7.1 pre out

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 13, 2017
    c-eling, Bgf1973 and JediJoker like this.
  13. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

So the Arcam only does DVD-A on the 7.1 input ;)?

Bgf1973 and scobb like this.
  14. gd0

gd0 Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies

It's not like there is a firm timeline when all manufacturers decided to install HDMI or stop installing multichannel analog connections. Different mfrs include different features, at different times, for different price points.

The good news is that your Marantz + Oppo setup connects both ways, and I would encourage you to take the time to experiment with both; it's part of the fun.

I expect the Marantz via HDMI would be better, but you really don't know for sure until you try it in your space, on your speakers. Either way, these components you've chosen will deliver much music enjoyment.

15. Bgf1973

Bgf1973 Forum Resident

Yes, I will try both options.

Thanks

16. Keith Ling

Keith Ling Well-Known Member

As a fan of 5.1 music and a former Oppo 971HD owner who now has a UDP-203, I have to say I would highly recommend that you connect the analog inputs to your preamp/receiver anyway. Why?
    First of all, some discs will simply not play the Hi-rez file through HDMI. There were other digital connection options (optical and coaxial) when DVD-Audio and SACD first came out.
    I set up my UDP-203 recently and found all the factory default outputs were set to HDMI.
    I emailed support and found two solutions to set the defaults for output of DVD-Audio and SACD. First, all of the speaker settings must be accurate. This is crucial for DVD-Audio.
    For SACD, you must select the output file type as "DSD". DSD will not output to HDMI without first being converted to PCM, which is what the HDMI setting does.
    I listened to several SACDs in HDMI mode and found there was a significant difference in sound quality compared to analog output of the DSD files. The sound quality of the analog output was much better, the difference (not the same quality level though) is comparable to the difference between a 128 mp3 file and a CD.
    Setting up all those RCA cables is a hassle, but it is well worth it if you have SACDs (and some DVD-As) that you love to listen to.

Bgf1973 likes this.
  17. jjhunsecker

jjhunsecker Senior Member

That's one of the main reasons I went with Oppo a few years back. I have an older , but still very good, Pioneer AVR that pre-dated HDMI but had 5.1 analog connections, so the Oppo was the best option for SACD, DVD-A, and to get DTS-HD and Dolbt-HD from blu-rays

18. Keith Ling

Keith Ling Well-Known Member

I started with a Oppo 971HD and a Pioneer VSX-515. The 515 became the center of my bedroom system once I got the Pioneer VSX-1019AH with HDMI amd 7.1 analog inputs.
    I still have that receiver, and it is working well with my brand newOppo UDP-203. I'm guessing when I eventually get a 4K TV, I'll have a good excuse to upgrade/update my receiver.

19. Kristofferabild

Kristofferabild Forum Resident

How is the Oppo 203 as a streamer? I am thinking about replacing my old Squeezebox Touch and Dac with it...

20. Kristofferabild

Kristofferabild Forum Resident

Also, I wonder what happend to the OLED screen that was intended for 203/205?

21. Linger63

Linger63 Forum Resident

As long as your AVR or Pre/Pro is DSD capable there is NO reason to convert to PCM in the player first.
    You can send DSD over HDMI to most later model AVR's and Pre/Pro's using the OPPO.

You have worded things wrong........
    Setting DSD in the HDMI audio out section ENSURES that DSD is output over HDMI
    Setting PCM in the HDMI audio out section will ensure conversion in the PLAYER.

Of course if you have older gear that CANNOT handle DSD input via HDMI then your multi cable analog solution is perfect!!!

JediJoker likes this.
  22. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Actually there is a reason to convert DSD to PCM in the player. I do this for multichannel SACDs to take advantage of Dirac room correction. If I send DSD Direct to the Emotiva XMC-1 then I'm unable to use Dirac.

JediJoker, BGLeduc and Linger63 like this.
  23. Linger63

Linger63 Forum Resident

Bill.....lol....I know about you and I but I was commenting in the context of the previous post which seemed to make automatic assumptions in advocating the preferred use of multiple interconnects over HDMI which is not totally correct for everyone.

You could STILL let the AVR or Pre/Pro do the conversion anyway simply by the act of enabling Dirac.. .I doubt setting PCM in the player first would make much difference.

FWIW... have you compared them?

Last edited: Aug 14, 2017
    Bill Mac likes this.
  24. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Actually what I've found is if the XMC-1 receives a DSD Direct signal via HDMI it disables Dirac. I'll double check on that tomorrow to be sure.

JediJoker and Linger63 like this.
  25. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I just set the 205's SACD Output to DSD and the display of the XMC-1 shows DSD Direct and Dirac is disabled. Bass management is disabled as well as there is no output from my subs. Switching the SACD Output to PCM and Dirac is active as well as bass management as there is now output from my subs.

JediJoker and Shawn like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.