Oppo's Facebook page announces UHD 4K player: UDP-203*

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by IAMBLEST, Jun 3, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Linger63

Linger63 Forum Resident

Doesn't the XMC-1 have any other DSD audio settings which bring Dirac in?
    I leave my OPPO 105 on "DSD" for SACD output at all times.
    My Integra 80.3 has "DSD Direct" ( same as your XMC-1) .......and "DSD" which allows Audyssey XT32 ( which must mean IT is then doing the PCM conversion)

2. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

The XMC-1 offers very limited options with DSD Direct. No option to use Dirac or bass management per the XMC-1 manual. Below is a link to the XMC-1 manual and on page 21 it discusses DSD. If I need to change from DSD to PCM or vice versa it's easy to do it in the Oppo menu. I contacted Oppo several times over the years requesting a "DSD" button on the remote. But it hasn't happened which is fine.

http://emotiva.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/XMC_user_v30_manual.pdf

JediJoker and Linger63 like this.
  3. J. R.

J. R. Cat Herder

I just upgraded to 4k, Dolby Atmos, etc. I waited a couple of years to get fully on 4k. I normally won't upgrade a TV unless it is broke..or when a new technology comes along. I am not an early adopter...just one that gives a new technology a year ot two before I jump in.

4. Kristofferabild

Kristofferabild Forum Resident

How would you characterise the sound of the Oppo 203 via analog out? How good does it sound with music? =)

5. Hi all,

I just got the 203 yesterday and I have been setting everything up. I am trying to use the Oppo to access my Plex server on an ethernet-connected MacBook. I have never used plex or the oppo before, so there may be a better way (if there is, tell me!). The Plex server seems to be set up and I can see my music in the two libraries I created. However, on the Oppo, when I go to Network > Plex server > Music, I do not see any content. Is there something I'm missing to browse and play my content through the 203?

Or, if there is a better way to browse and play my music through the Oppo, I'm all ears. I have a massive library of Mp3 and high res files that I have on an external hard drive connected to a dedicated music MacBook pro. Thanks!

Kristofferabild likes this.
  6. Steve G

Steve G Senior Member

sounds amazing to me. That's pretty much all I do with it - analog out - five separate channels to five mono blocs. sounds lovely

7. tomhayes

tomhayes Senior Member

Quick question: Is there any reason to AVOIF the Oppo 203? I'm thinking of picking one up this weekend.

8. CraigVC

CraigVC Senior Member

If you have a huge collection of cherished HDCD-encoded compact discs, that may be a reason to avoid it. (Though aren't there outboard DAC's that could do HDCD and cover that for you?)

I might also add the lack of headphone jack, but if you're a fan of headphones then you are probably using a dedicated headphone amp anyway, so that wouldn't matter.

Here's a review that points out the relatively minor weak points. Seems like a stellar device to me.... But personally I'm hoping my 105-D will last a decade, as I'm very happy with it.

Oppo UDP-203 Ultra HD Blu-ray Player Review

Craig.

Brother_Rael and JediJoker like this.
  9. tomhayes

tomhayes Senior Member

I'm going to look at it today, I may not buy it until next week.

10. tomhayes

tomhayes Senior Member

Actually i just bought it. It's a little too deep for my rack - I ay have to place it on something else - or get right angle cables for it.

Seems fast - and I liked it found the latest firmware and loaded it very quickly.

BeatlesBop likes this.
  11. I have an external Plex server connected to my 203. I have been playing flac files from it and I can't figure out how to get gapless playback. Any advice?

12. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

Can an external USB drive attached to the UDP203 be accessed through the network? I'd like to be able to upload new files without having to disconnect it.

13. Hymie the Robot

Hymie the Robot Forum Resident

No. Sorry. You would have to set up a connection through the network using WiFi or Ethernet. You would then lose some album art abilities and deal with the usual network quirkiness.

JediJoker likes this.
  14. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

OK, thanks for the reply.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.