Oppo's Facebook page announces UHD 4K player: UDP-203*

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by IAMBLEST, Jun 3, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

As of now, no UHD 4K Blu-ray players support dual video outputs. Not even the Sony UBP-X1000ES that was introduced today by Sony.

Keen eyes might also observe the lack of HDMI input on the front panel, the dual USB 3.o inputs on the back, center-mounted front panel display, and rear panel Trigger In/Out.

JediJoker likes this.
  2. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

True. Could one use a splitter or a switch? Or would that not work?

3. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

OK, that's good to know. Do you mean dual USB 3.0 inputs? No composite diag. output as well.

seaisletim likes this.
  4. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

It might, depending on associated displays and splitter/switch hardware.

Yes, USB 3.0. Typed too fast, will try and edit :)

5. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

At least the switcher/splitter is possible.

No problem, been there done that :).

6. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

7. gd0

gd0 Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies

Yah, needs more HDMI.

In and out.

I've got a dirt-cheap secondary mini-display to work DVD-A / Blu discs' menus-n-options. Which I've become very attached to. Way preferable to firing up the plasma.

I really got my Oppo for multichannel music to begin with.

Doug_B likes this.
  8. Cool! So, I guess no word of a UDP-205? ;)

9. Also, I noticed that the analog audio output of the UDP-2o3 is 7.1, not 9.1 as would be required for a full Atmos setup. There aren't many Atmos-encoded discs out, though, so I guess it makes sense that Oppo leaves Atmos decoding to whatever receiver or pre/pro you connect the player to via HDMI.

Will the player support 3D content in regular Blu-ray mode? I understand that UHD discs do not support 3D. Truthfully, 3D in the home was always pretty much a flash in the pan, but I do know some people who bought into it. I watched parts of Monsters vs. Aliens in 3D quite a few times on my brother's 3D setup.

10. lyniv

lyniv Forum Resident

I wish these had more inputs and could function as my preamp!

11. Rachael Bee

Rachael Bee Miembra muy loca

I'm sure I have at least 40 discs with Atmos and a half-dozen with DTS-X. Many discs sound better run through the Atmos upconverter mode on my Onkyo head unit. Atmos is happenin' and it's everything that it's heralded as, IMO.

12. Those 40 discs you have comprise the majority of Atmos titles released. I'm not saying that more Atmos discs won't be released, but for now there are only a few dozen.

13. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I highly doubt that there will be many if any processors that will come with 9.1 analog inputs. I think its cool that Oppo is still offering a 7.1 analog output on the 203. But I doubt many will use the output. Those that own Atmo and DTS-X capable processors will most likely use HDMI. Why use nine cables and forgo room correction and processing to use analog?

scobb, Shawn, JediJoker and 1 other person like this.
  14. Linger63

Linger63 Forum Resident

It MUST be in the works!!!

Interesting see how it will stack up against a 105(D)...........( 4K ability not withstanding )

WRT the new 203.........

Notice no "D" designation...............assuming it's a Darbee and UHD compatibility issue of some kind?
    Also noticed that the MHL via HDMI input (which 103 (D) had) is now gone too.
    No dual video out may cause issues for some users but once again probably a UHD thing!!

It is a "looker" though!!!

Last edited: Sep 17, 2016
  15. SteelyTom

SteelyTom Forum Resident

Do we think Oppo will maintain its roughly $1200 price point for the new model?

16. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Spot on.

JediJoker likes this.
  17. JediJoker

JediJoker Audio Engineer/Enthusiast

For the 205, you mean? I would expect a slight increase over the 105(D), unless they can afford a decrease in price for the 105D going forward, which they will undoubtedly continue to produce for some time.

SteelyTom likes this.
  18. Linger63

Linger63 Forum Resident

Pretty sure the OPPO 203 UHD will retail for US$499

Apparently that was also the price asked for the 93 and 103 when they came out.

Based on that you could reasonably expect a (hopeful) 205 to retail for close to the price you stated.

SteelyTom likes this.
  19. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Some things we should get used to with the current/upcoming generation of 4K UHD disc players (all brands!). Feel free to bookmark this post for review in 6 or 12 months from now ;)

• Dual video output from disc players is not likely. Lots of variables with 4K video, HDR/Dolby Vision, audio channels, and copy-protection that is a nightmare to manage if you're connecting displays that are disparate.
    • The trend is towards less analog audio outputs, not more (9.1+). Having 7.1 analog outputs on any type of player is on its very last legs. If you haven't made the transition to a HDMI receiver/processor to support multi-channel audio, you'd better. Soon.
    • Gapless support of file playback via disc players will probably continue to remain a "best effort" type of situation.
    • Support for streaming apps in disc players will probably continue to wane, as the cheap <$100 media players are easier to replace/update. Because all of the streaming services (YouTube, Netflix, etc.) have a penchant for changing their software security requirements on a consistent basis.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2016
    JediJoker likes this.
  20. You're right, as usual. One of the issues with HDMI can be, although, that the DAC in the receiver might not as good as the one in the player. That's why I use the analog outs of my 105 into my receiver.

I'm hoping that a possible 205 will have dedicated analog stereo outs, too, just like the 105.

Steel Horse and JediJoker like this.
  21. Robert van Diggele

Robert van Diggele Forum Resident

1 and 4, no problem for me.
    2. The 203 does have analog put, a 205 model will still have this too?
    3. That is a bit of a disappointment. 4 years after the 105 it is still not solved?

22. Rachael Bee

Rachael Bee Miembra muy loca

I'd say I have about half of 'em out. They're starting to roll out regularly. Some of my titles are UHD BD titles.

23. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

russk, IronWaffle, JediJoker and 3 others like this.
  24. Robert van Diggele

Robert van Diggele Forum Resident

I do not understand why it would be so hard to implement gapless playback of flac files in a disc player. Are you allowed to say anything about this?

25. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

I can summarize a few things I've said about previous players, but I can't make any specific inferences about the upcoming OPPO player(s). I hope this doesn't start a raging debate, but I'll try to be as concise as possible:
    1. The decoder engine in Blu-ray players is responsible for handling attached file playback or networked-streaming file playback, in previous players this has always been a MediaTek decoder.
    2. Such decoder has trouble with certain file playback types and the occasional bit-padding that can occur when users rip via EAC, etc. These rippers can occasionally add extra bits of padding to the end of tracks (somewhat dependent on resulting file format), which the Mediateks don't deal with very gracefully.
    3. The folks at OPPO understand this is a high priority for customers. However, if you really want to vent at someone, your efforts/requests are probably best directed to MediaTek 408-526-1899.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2016
    JediJoker and Robert van Diggele like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.