Optimising Google Chromecast audio

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Benjamin Reed, Jun 14, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Benjamin Reed

Benjamin Reed Well-Known Member Thread Starter

I recently switched my iPhone for android, unsubscribed from Apple Music and joined Spotify.

Now I have a Chromecast optical out to my Schiit Bifrost DAC which then feeds into the tube amp.

Question is, can I optimise Chromecast?

I read about the iFi S/PDIF iPurifier at:

10 stone cold bargains for the wannabe audiophile | DAR__KO »

Do you think this will make a difference?

Are there any other methods to get better sound?

thanks

tubesandvinyl likes this.
  2. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

I use this setup, a Chromecast audio optical out to a Schiit BiFrost. I think it sounds exceptional and don't really hear anything that needs to be improved, but at the same time its a device not much bigger then a silver dollar coin that makes space for WiFi along with the streaming hardware, something like that gadget you link to might have a benefit.

The biggest problem is I'm not sure if iFi is still making it - I can't find it on their website, they might have moved on the strictly USB products in this space.

SandAndGlass and Benjamin Reed like this.
  3. MothAudio

MothAudio Active Member

Just received my iFi S/PDIF iPurifier one week ago [Music Direct] to matrix with Chromecast Audio puck and Schiit Modi Multibit DAC. Following manufacturer suggestion I plugged it straight into the coaxial input on the DAC and used a Sys. Concept mini-toslink - toslink cable to couple with the CCA. Straight out of the box I was able to retrieve more detail from familiar sources. Looking forward to what continued use offers.

I picked up a couple of CCA this summer and was caught off guard at the upshift in performance it offered in my system. It's still the weakest link but like the OP I'm interested in tweaking it out before exploring other [more costly] options like the sonore microrendu / sonicTransporter / roon. Since the acquisition of the Chromecast Audio I've made a number of system upgrades; Schitt Modi Multibit DAC, PS Audio Ultimate Outlet, JJ 2A3 power tubes, Sys. Concepts digital cable and iFi S/PDIF iPurifier reclocker/jitter filter. Couldn't be more pleased with the performance and bang for buck value the Schiit Modi Multibit provides IMS.

Until the iFi stabilizes the full benefit won't be realized but straight out of the box I was making unexpected discoveries from familiar source [pleasant discoveries]. For my 9k system it was easy to appreciate where the extra $800 [total cost of all 5 upgrades] went. At this very early stage I'm unable to measure the value of the iFi but thus far IMS it's not a component I would suggest is critical to the performance of the Multibit.

The iFi reduces the noise floor even further, something that wasn't lacking in my system previously. While sibilance wasn't minimized to the level I was hoping it was reduced. Overall there was a greater cohesiveness to the presentation that made you rely less on the suspension of disbelief to lose yourself into the music. You're able to pick up the most discrete sounds that appear out of nowhere - spooky. Admittedly, some of these are unintended like when you can hear the bus passing outside of the church on The Trinity Sessions CD by the Cowboy Junkies. Chairs creaking, conversations between musicians, foot steps. Unreal. With my Moth SET amp and Silverline Sonatina speakers much of this was in play before the acquisition of the Modi but it does take it to a higher level. The supplied PS is plugged into the Hydra PLC.

[​IMG]

Benjamin Reed likes this.
  4. Benjamin Reed

I found the ifi spdif ipurifier on ebay! 145 pounds was a bit steep but looking forward to comparing. I currently use only optical toslink to the Dac from the Cca.

Quick question. What toslink in does the IFi take? A mini or normal size?

Thanks

5. Benjamin Reed

PS I connected my laptop to the Dac via Spotify directly with a jitterbug via USB and the sound was completely different!

6. Damien DiAngelo

Damien DiAngelo Forum Resident

There is one tweak you will want to do to the settings of the Chromecast audio.

You will only need to do this if you are using the Analog out connection.

Open Google Home. Tap the devices icon in the upper right corner. Tap the three dots in the upper right corner of the Chromecast audio box and select settings.
    Be sure Full dynamic range is selected. It's on by default when using the Optical out, but default is off when using Analog.

Obviously, with it off, it compresses the sound. Check mark it to make sure you have full dynamic range.

7. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

Coax and mini optical.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2016
    SandAndGlass likes this.
  8. tubesandvinyl

tubesandvinyl Forum Resident

Good choices. Spotify is much better than AM.

9. MothAudio

MothAudio Active Member

[​IMG]
    mini>toslink

Benjamin Reed likes this.
  10. Benjamin Reed

Thanks so I need a mini toslink to mini toslink. There are very few of these on amazon UK.

Any recommendations?

Cheers

11. johnston21

johnston21 Forum Resident

Using the Burson Cable+ for analog out from the CCA.

12. MothAudio

MothAudio Active Member

You need a mini-toslink to toslink. If you look closely at the photo above you can see the difference. The two brands that get very good reviews are the Sys. Concepts [which I own, pictured above] and the Lifatec [pictured below] with the mini plug on one end and toslink on the other.

[​IMG]

13. Joe Trelin

Joe Trelin New Member

If you're investing in improving the SQ of your streaming audio, probably the best investment you can make is to go with Tidal lossless instead of Spotify.

Robert C, SKBubba and Benjamin Reed like this.
  14. Benjamin Reed

Cool, so do you use the toslink to mini adapter? As the chromecast is mini and the ifi is mini? Or am I going mad!

Cheers guys

15. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

Yes indeed.

16. MothAudio

MothAudio Active Member

[​IMG]

Yes. The iFi comes with a toslink adapter.

17. Benjamin Reed

I finally got my hands on the iPurifier - after the mail man left it with a neighbour who went away for Christmas!

Mothaudio was right, I am getting lots of extra detail, and unearthing things that I have never heard before, e.g. Doobie Brother Long Train Runnin album.

I think the PRaT is better also.

So, the next upgrade has to be my Bifrost, taking it to Multibit.

Thanks all

18. For those of you with a CCA do you have any issues/problems with gapless playback?

I listen to a considerable amount of classical where gapless/non-gapless playback becomes a real hassle at times.

Best Wishes,
    David

19. Benjamin Reed

Yes - I do, sometimes the track just stops, and it loses connection, TIDAL also has lots of bugs.

Annoying.

20. Damien DiAngelo

Damien DiAngelo Forum Resident

It doesn't do gapless. It will start the next track pretty quickly, depending on how much your music server is working.
    When I was using my desktop for my music server, there would be a 1/2 - 1 second delay between tracks. Very annoying.
    I've since set up a Raspberry Pi as a dedicated server, and sometimes there is almost no gap at all between tracks. Usually, there's 1/4 second gap at the most, but that's still a little annoying.

adriatikfan likes this.
  21. Thanks for replying - Once I've digested this and read a couple of other things, I may have another question or two.

Best Wishes,
    David

Damien DiAngelo likes this.
  22. hankscorpio

hankscorpio Member

Question for those using a DAC other than the internal one, at what point do you think that using a better and better external DAC starts to reveal that the CCA itself is the weakest link?
    I'm trying to figure out whether a higher end DAC will be able to improve upon a 200-300 DAC with the CCA as the source. It seems pretty clear that an external DAC will provide improvements over the CCA's internal one, but I'm not clear on what the ceiling would be...any suggestions?
    Thanks!

23. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

I think this is very hard to qualify, but I use a CCA with a $600 Bifrost Multibit and I don't feel I'm losing anything on the source end.

24. hankscorpio

hankscorpio Member

how do you feel it sounds vs the onbard DAC?

25. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

I'm not sure if I've ever used the onboard DAC, I never had any reason to.

SandAndGlass likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.