Options to upgrade from Rega DAC

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Ellsworth, Nov 28, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ellsworth

Ellsworth Forum Resident Thread Starter

After making some comments on the ifi Micro thread earlier this week, I thought it would be worth probing the the collective wisdom of this board regarding an upgrade to my Rega DAC.

My budget is $1,000 to $1,800 used. In an ideal world, I would try DACs out in my system but because I plan to buy used I don’t have the option of trying and returning.

For context, my system is MacMini–DAC–Tortuga passive preamp – Rogue Medusa hybrid amp – Fritz Rev 7 speakers. I plan to stick with the amp and speakers for a while and really like what the passive preamp has done for the system. The goal in upgrading the DAC is to try to improve detail (and hopefully soundstage) while maintaining the good qualities of the Rega. As of now, the short list is:

1) Chord Hugo
    : Based on reviews, sound quality should be better than other options at this price. DSD and ability to stream to the DAC is nice. Unfortunately, this looks like it could be irritating to turn on and off if using as a standalone DAC.

2) PS Audio Perfect Wave mkII: The potential to use an upgraded Bridge in the future is nice. (apparently the current Bridge has many faults). One knock against it is that the preamp function is not supposed to be great. I am fine with keeping my preamp but if it can be eliminated without sonic compromise that is a nice bonus.

3) NAD M51: Of the DACs in this price range I have researched, this one has the best preamp functionality and is in the class of the PS Audio and Benchmark.

4) Benchmark DAC2: Should be a very good performer and DSD might be a bonus.

Ideally I would try them all but I would spend a ton of money cycling through them trying to find the best synergy. One option is to wait until Spring to test the new iFi micro is a player or try to grab a Lampizator Amber. With the way things are moving in the DAC world, my guess is that I will want to upgrade again in a couple years.

Does anyone have comments on how the DACs above or other DACs to research? My guess is that I would be very happy with any of the DACs mentioned above. They will all be an improvement - just in different flavors.

2. Ivand

Ivand Forum Resident

Noticed that you got the NAD M51. Please let me know your impressions of this DAC vs the Rega DAC.
    Thank you.

3. triple

triple Senior Member

If this thread was not months old, I would suggest getting in touch with forum member dnugett about swapping dacs. He seems to think that the Rega dac would improve on his Chord Hugo...

farmingdad and Ivand like this.
  4. dnuggett

dnuggett Forum Resident

You are leaving a key piece out. I think the Rega DAC may be a better choice for many CDs. The Hugo gives you exactly what is on the disc, no color. For many CDs thats not what I want to hear.
    For everything else I am very happy with the Hugo.

I decided to get an original Planet CD player.

bhazen likes this.
  5. triple

triple Senior Member

I acted as a matchmaker. A matchmaker does not really ask why the man likes blondes, or why the woman prefers elderly well-off men.

Coricama, Ivand and dnuggett like this.
  6. Ellsworth

Ellsworth Forum Resident Thread Starter

Interesting to see this thread pop up again. I am very happy with the choice of the NAD M51. On first listen, I wasn't blown away by the NAD but the more I listen to it the more I like it. In comparison to the Rega, the NAD is significantly more detailed and sounds more true to the recording. The Rega seems to have more emphasis on the bass/mid-bass area than the NAD. The Rega bass doesn't go deeper than the NAD - it just seems to place more emphasis on it.

A lot of people write that the Rega seems more analog than other DACs. I am not quite sure what that means but to me the NAD doesn't sound more "digital" than the Rega. In fact I think it has a more natural sound as you can better hear the tone and texture of instruments. This plus the increased ability to hear each instrument more clearly in the mix, bring me closer to the music.

Two points that I have not explored with the NAD are running it direct (I use a passive pre-amp) and using balanced connections. Supposedly, running it balanced adds to the SQ. I tried running it direct but got a nasty hum out of the speakers. Maybe I need to try different cables??

I were to buy a DAC again in the next 6 months, I would really want to try the Chord 2Qute. It sounds perfect. The form factor of the Hugo didn't thrill me but the 2Qute seems to improve on that.

Ivand and russk like this.
  7. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

Very keen to read what you think about it!

I miss mine (transport died, can't be replaced.) If I run into another for the right price, I'll be sorely tempted.

8. I had one of those years ago. Loved it. The die cast aluminum body was cool to boot. Sold it to a forum member for a really good price.

bhazen likes this.
  9. dnuggett

dnuggett Forum Resident

I have only had it for a couple days. Initial impressions are good. Build quality is top notch, and so far I am liking the sound. I haven't given it a challenging CD yet though because I want to get a baseline with stuff I know sounds great. One thing though... :)

I just bought a Line Magnetic LM-515 so I'm not sure I'll be spending much more time with the Rega.

bhazen likes this.
  10. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

Ah well, there you go then. :)

The LM is probably the best player I've ever heard (at least at a sane price); hard to say definitively, as I heard it through a Leben amp and DeVore O/93's ... Regardless, just about the best music system I've ever heard.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2015
  11. dnuggett

dnuggett Forum Resident

I haven't had a lot of time with the 515.. just a few hours today. It is a fantastic player. The Planet will go into a second system.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.