"Orange is the New Black" Netflix series...any fans

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by dbacon, Jul 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

In professional wrestling terminology, they turned her babyface. :)

2. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

I didn't mean to say it was actually funny, but that they were attempting to be funny. Yes, it was pretty tragic.

3. Solaris

Solaris a bullet in flight

I bailed after the third season. Tried three episodes of season 4 and I just couldn't bring myself to care anymore. Am I missing anything with this new season?

4. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Not a thing, unless you're a masochist! :D

5. kouzie

kouzie Forum Resident

Just finished season 5. I thought season 3 was the series' low point, but rebounded nicely in season 4. Oh how I was wrong. Season 5 was ridiculously terrible, impossible and poorly executed. None of it made sense, the timeline didn't know if the riot was a few days or a few months (on day 2 they had an art fair????), characters seemed to disappear in thin air (Laverne Cox's character was in the first few episodes then POOF magically gone), and how over-the-top nearly each character became (the two meth women were so stupid and over exaggerated). People on this forum often say of mad movies that it took several people to agree with ultimately approve with what's on the screen. That's for generally 2 hours or product. This is 13 hours. Serious how does Netflix allow this to happen. In the words of @Vidiot , this was hhhhhhhhhhaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrriiiiibbbbbbbbbllllllleeeeeeeeeeeeeee.

6. Mr. Grieves

Mr. Grieves Forum Resident

This season was definitely the worse one by far. I thought season 3 was ok & 4 as well, but this is the first season I did not like from this show. However, the acting was pretty solid, & some of the more emotional scenes were done really well. But some, well most, of the characters on the show have become very annoying to me, which is unfortunate.

7. The Slug Man

The Slug Man Forum Resident

I've watched up to episode 7 now, and it gets marginally better, but still not as good as season 1, 3, or 4 (wasn't season 2 the season that seemed to focus mostly on Vee, who kind of "took over" the place? So glad when she got run over by the van). I think the problem with season 5 (in addition to the preposterously long "riot") is that my favorite parts were always the flashback/origin stories, and most of the main or most interesting characters have already been treated. Heck, they even had a 2nd origin story for Tastee (though it explains how and why she came to see prison as a family substitute).

Do they ever have a flashback for the tall dark-haired "meth" girl who hails from Boston?

8. Mr. Grieves

Mr. Grieves Forum Resident

I think season 2 was the best season & it's not even close imo. Vee was a great villain, who's demise was one of the most satisfying things to happen in the entire series.

9. greenoort

greenoort Forum Resident

I think the series is great, with some bumps in the road of course. I think the newest season our right now (5 I believe? With the prison riot) is really exciting and I like how the focus on other characters besides piper. The prison riot makes everything really tense and anything could happen! probably one of my favorites right now of the seasons.

10. Scott222C

Scott222C Loner, Rebel & Family Man

After watching 5 episodes of the trainwreck that is S05 I think they really should hang it up. What a waste of resources this show has become. Only Piper waking up from a "bad dream" in the last episode of this caleidoscope of cliches and comically bad writing/acting could maybe salvage it for the (two ?) following seasons.

So sad. ;)

11. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

Finally watched an episode last night! So good right now.

12. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Well, actually, the first ep of season 5 wasn't that bad. Unfortunately, all the succeeding episodes were!

13. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

I think a merchandise tie-in is in order after season 5. Orange is the New Black Cell Phones. Cell phones that run 24/7 with phone calls to family, video shoots, posts to YouTube, Internet surfing ... and keep right on going without ever being charged. They'd sell more than pre-worn prison panties.

14. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

:(

alexpop likes this.
  15. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

The riot took 4 days in total. They were very clear about that. I have no idea what "art fair" you're referring to, unless it's maybe Brook empting out the library and stacking the books on the floors?

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  16. R. Totale

R. Totale The Voice of Reason

I thought it was OK but slight. I'm thinking of season 5 as being like an extended Very Special Episode between regular seasons.

17. The Slug Man

The Slug Man Forum Resident

I just now realized that the female guard who was in her underwear all season is cutie Emily Tarver:

[​IMG]

18. hybrid_77

hybrid_77 Forum Resident

What kind of pills are Blanca and Red taking? Speed? X? The striptease by the guard at the talent show was hysterical. I'm about halfway through. I still like the show. A lot of the writing is very funny.

19. R. Totale

R. Totale The Voice of Reason

Yeah, top grade pharmaceutical.

20. Season 5
    -episodes 1-7 groan inducing
    -episodes 8-13 a bit better

The thing that was both cool and horrible at the same time was the bunker. It was cool that she made the bunker, but in real life that would be near impossible, and to top that off "Beer Can" knew about the pool all along? Pffttt!

As lame as it sounds, the ending certainly makes me want to know what happens next.

Man, Tasty really, really screwed the pooch. What a dummy. Even the most bleeding heart would agree with that.

goodiesguy and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  21. You're way too generous with your assessment.

22. Barnabas Collins

Barnabas Collins Senior Member

I bailed after the third episode of Season 5. After a fairly tepid Season 4, I just couldn't handle it anymore. Even after the negative reviews, I wanted to give the 5th season a fair shake, but I found it remarkably unfunny and boring.

23. I binged all of the previous seasons last year on Netflix and became a fan. I watched the latest season when it came out. It wasn't bad. Most TV shows have their highs and lows. I still like all the characters I've always liked. I still find Piper annoying and they surely did amp up the annoyance level for the two snaggle-toothed meth heads. I was just waiting for them to get shanked. Maybe next season. heh

24. goodiesguy

goodiesguy Confide In Me

Really dissapointed in this Season. Especially how they wrote Tastee (if that's how you spell her name) She went from a sympathetic character to just a hateful and spiteful character, really off-putting IMO.

Scott222C likes this.
  25. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin and Current Impatient Creep

Orange is the New Black - Season 6 was put up on Netflix last night - I watched the first of 13 1 hour episodes. Just Ok - nothing great. Will watch the whole season, but have very low expectations for the series now.

goodiesguy and MikaelaArsenault like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.