"Orange is the New Black" Netflix series...any fans

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by dbacon, Jul 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

She split with Larry on the TV show because Jason Biggs is the most boring human alive. :)

2. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

I was SO happy when Biggs was written out of the series. He was the biggest (no pun intended) power down ever; huge deficit for the series. Good riddance.

3. R. Totale

R. Totale The Voice of Reason

I just finished the season and I'm in for another. I don't know if I'm up for three more, though. I think they have to start rotating characters out and I won't be sad if Piper and Alex are the first to go.

If you're in NYC during the long break maybe you can catch Jessica Pimental (Ruiz) in one of the two hardcore metal bands she plays in. Here she is on bass with Desolate, she's also lead singer with Alekhine's Gun. And a classically trained violinist.

4. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

Really? Though things took a more serious turn eventually, I still found a fair of humor in season four, much of it supplied by Blair Brown's Martha Stewart/Paula Deen character.

I've been avoiding this thread for fear of spoilers, but I made it through season four and I have to say that OITNB has become one of my favorite contemporary shows and a lot of it comes down to the rich combination of well rounded characters. I'm glad that they've largely turned away from Chapman, who was never all that sympathetic to me. I personally like they way that they develop the back story with these people so that we get to see who they were before they got locked into this dehumanizing system (though in the case of Doggett, as Boo notes, she's actually become a better person). We'll see if any of them manage to make a successful go of it after getting out.

At first, Lolly just seemed like a creepy caricature but she became more multi-dimensional and sympathetic thanks in part to her background. I was also heartbroken by the conclusion of the penultimate episode. I'm not expecting any real justice to come in season five, but they certainly leave it all hanging at the end.

Shak Cohen, RayS and GodShifter like this.
  5. RayS

The Lolly back story was probably my favorite one of them all. It was also nice to get some back story to Healy's raving anti-lesbianism which goes all the way back to season 1.

6. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

One of my favorite laugh out loud moments from this season was when she was trying to enlist Poussay's help in overcoming her racist reputation with the other black inmates and she declares, "You're one of the good ones!"
    Yeah, this is what I appreciate about the show--nothing is black and white. Even the seemingly "bad" characters tend to have redeeming characteristics.

7. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

I've never found Healy to be a "bad" character; in fact, they've made efforts to show that he's tried with his Russian mail order bride and tried to help inmates in the facility. He's just a character who admits himself that "he's not very good at his job" and because of his problems with women, cannot relate to them on even a semi-functional basis.

Deesky and DreadPikathulhu like this.
  8. hybrid_77

hybrid_77 Forum Resident

I think it's a brilliant series. This season was great. Just finished the final episode. Poussey's back story was one of the best. Quite the ending. Can't wait for more.

[​IMG]

R.I.P.

9. hybrid_77

hybrid_77 Forum Resident

10. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

Loved this season. Much better than last.

Scott222C likes this.
  11. kouzie

kouzie Forum Resident

Just finished Season 4. Huge bounce back from Season 3 when I almost wrote off the show. Loved pretty much everything - can't wait for Season 5.

12. hybrid_77

hybrid_77 Forum Resident

Does anyone know what instrument the guy on the subway was playing, near the end? It looked percussive.

13. jjhunsecker

jjhunsecker Senior Member

Did anybody notice that the flashbacks in Season 4 showed that the young guard was excused for the same crimes in his youth (trespassing and marijuana possession) that Poussey had been imprisoned for ?

drasil, kouzie, Squealy and 1 other person like this.
  14. Veltri

Veltri ♪♫♫♪♪♫♫♪

I liked this season, but too many flashbacks just sort of ended suddenly, right at the moment when their purpose was revealed.

15. RayS

I was convinced that I must have zoned out during Soso's back story ... was she jailed for making a false rape accusation?

16. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr.

I was ready to write off the show after season three and all the way up until about halfway through season four, but it really did bounce back and get good again.

17. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr.

I don't think Soso's reason for being in prison has been fully revealed. I think they implied when they introduced her that it was for some sort of civil disobedience, but that may have just been a front she was putting up at the time.

RayS likes this.
  18. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

No - that was just an example of her being willing to lie or exaggerate the truth in order to create drama (e.g. telling Blair Brown about her girlfriend's (imaginary) tragic family history of drugs and violence). I'm pretty sure she only told that story to the other guys, it never made it as far as a police report. Character point not a plot point.

19. RayS

I think it wound up being confusing since most (though not all) of the other inmate back stories tended to conclude with the reason for their arrest.

20. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

I'd forgotten what the issue was specifically, but according to the Orange is the New Black wiki, Brook was arrested in a logging protest -- she was living in a tree to keep it from being cut down.

Watching the show in quick binges a year apart, things slip through the cracks of my memory. Until it came up this season I'd completely forgotten that Morello and Nicholls used to have sex -- I was thinking of Lorna as someone who would be resolutely straight -- and that wiki reminded me Nicky had sex with Soso too!

Again, I can't remember if it has been addressed on the show, and maybe this is common knowledge, but in the real Piper's book she says you never ask other prisoners about what they did to be put there... of course she would eventually find out about some of them but often she became close to people without ever finding out why they were there.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2016
    GodShifter likes this.
  21. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

Wow, good catch. I completely missed that.

I've been avoiding this thread until I finished watching. Glad I did. Quite a few shocks this season.

22. drasil

drasil Former Resident

it's called a hang. it was invented in switzerland around the turn of the century and is essentially a steelpan inverted with a resonating chamber and played with the hands. it's diatonic, so playing pretty, consonant melodies on it takes very little time to learn.

[​IMG]

23. hybrid_77

hybrid_77 Forum Resident

Thank you so much for that info

24. jjhunsecker

jjhunsecker Senior Member

Actually, it was mentioned by New Yorker TV critic Emily Nussbaum. Did anybody else notice that the young guard bumped into Poussey when she was lost in Brooklyn ? ( A bit of foreshadowing, perhaps...)

mmars982 likes this.
  25. kouzie

kouzie Forum Resident

yep

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.