Original Beatles White Album

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jazzero, Apr 25, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jazzero

Jazzero Member Thread Starter

Hello fellow audiophiles!

There is a record store owner who want to sell me an original White album UK pressing with No "EMI ltd" printed in label, and it has nummer 04***** something on front for 250 Swedish crowns which is like 26 dollars something.
    And it's in Vg+ condition but doesnt have THE posters nor the pictures.

You guys think i should go for it?

Edgard Varese likes this.
  2. TeleStrat

TeleStrat Senior Member

A late sixties album in VG+ condition for $26 isn't a bad deal when you consider the price of vinyl today.
    Not having the poster and pictures really only matters from a "collectible" point of view.
    If you're in it for the music and not the extras I'd say go for it.

3. Jazzero

I just noticed that A and B has THE " EMI Recording" on label but C & D has not. Is it still a first pressing? And it has THE - 1 on matrix.

4. TeleStrat

TeleStrat Senior Member

If the two records are from different pressings you may not have the same sound quality.
    It's already missing the poster and pictures and now it may be two different pressings.
    I would look elsewhere if you really want a copy of this album but be prepared to pay the price.
    The cheapest copy on Discogs that is VG+ media and sleeve is 100 euros and it ships from France.

5. lightbulb

lightbulb Not the Brightest of the Bunch

Perhaps if you mention to the seller all of the various "cons" with the item he's selling, would he consider a lower price...?
    Then you have to evaluate the "pros " here... And decide if hopefully a cheaper price will hook you.

6. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

So, if you are an audiophile, it may be that sound is most important to you, and not the idea of owning a VG+ album where you can get way better sounding reissues for as much or less.

7. Jazzero

I went to the store and did some digging and found a beat up copy of Aphrodite's Child 666 US Swirl but the record itself sound good (VG++). So he gave me that and the White album for 39.90$(350sek). I think it's fair. What you guys think?

8. Cronverc

Cronverc Forum Resident

IMO most likely it was sold that way. "An EMI Recording" credit appeared on the labels pretty quick, besides I think nobody at the factory paid that much attention to that, they just used whatever labels they had at the time. The whole statement "The very first pressing shouldn't have "An EMI Recording" on the all four labels" - IMO just an urban myth, same as another myth - "First pressing of "Abbey Road" always (!) comes in the jacket with misaligned apple".
    This kind of bull***** usually used by dealers for price gouging.

9. TeleStrat

TeleStrat Senior Member

^^ There you go, you got what you originally wanted and another one thrown in.

Just remember that you can buy two albums in the same amount of time it takes to buy one. :confused:
    (That's what I tell myself every time I click the PayPal button)

Rickchick likes this.
  10. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

I think you did just fine

Aftermath likes this.
  11. Edgard Varese

Edgard Varese Royale with Cheese

Buy it. :)

12. muffmasterh

muffmasterh Forum Resident

if it has the sold in uk text on the label it is still a first pressing, the emi recording text was omitted in error and corrected probably pre-release.

As for the matrix a lot of rubbish is talked about that also, some sides got a -2 matrix very early on yet by 1971 they had reverted to -1-1-1-1 and it stayed that was until around 1976.

so whats the earlier press, a 1968 with -2 or a 1976 with a -1 ??

to me any WA with the sold in UK text is a first press, regardless of emi/no emi recording on the labels or a -1 or -2 matrix.

( on the mono one of the sides goes as high as -4 before it was discontinued in 1969 )

alexpop likes this.
  13. muffmasterh

well said sir and you are quite right mis-matches were quite common if not the norm, so long as it has the sold in UK text it does not matter in my book

Oh and all the lowest mother stampered copies of 1G that i have seen have the corrected EMI recording labels, so thats another urban myth busted !!

oh and 26 bucks is very reasonable.

14. Morton LaBongo

Morton LaBongo Forum Resident

Yeah dude buy that! I have a hard time passing up any decently priced WA or Abbey Road I see. I have like 15 WA's and 20 Abbey Roads, no joke.

alexpop, Old Rusty and telepicker97 like this.
  15. muffmasterh

only 15 ??

16. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

What were the white album reviews like when it came out late 1968 i.e.;
    Melody Maker Rolling Stone, New Musical Express....?

17. alexpop

Uk copy. VG?
    Not bad price.

18. alexpop

Wow!!! Someone with more TWA's than me.

19. alexpop

Get it cheap grab it, a bargain.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.