Original "green arrow" cd's from West Germany on Mercury

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by steeler1979, Apr 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

Of course musical tastes vary, but the question is how many people are going to pay upwards of $300 for The Boomtown Rats or Demis Roussos and why are they doing it? It's a collector thing and nothing more. How many people who paid $300 for a Roussos CD have it in the regular rotation or have even listened to it once?

Obviously people can collect whatever they want and spend whatever they want, but let's be clear on their motivation.

2. carrolls

carrolls Forum Resident

I agree it is a collectors thing.
    But by that reasoning, the same would apply to Rush, Van Morrison and Steve Miller, because collectors more than likely already have the cheaper Atomic versions of these CDs in their collection.
    Its just that you singled out The Rats and Roussos as the weak links in the series and I don't necessarally agree with this. By the way I am not a fan of Roussos but was a big fan of the Rats.

3. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Exactly. Not sure why Keith's singling out the Rats or Roussos as being "unworthy" of big bucks for their CDs but it's okay to spend $$$ for other artists. Maybe I misunderstood, but Keith almost seemed offended that Rats/Roussos CDs would sell for so much money.

As Keith said, it's all about the paint anyway, so I don't think it really matters if the music underneath the paint is great, mediocre or bad...

4. Keith's point has nothing to do with one's opinion of the music, rather the demand level for some artists' catalog is quite a bit lower for regular releases than the green arrow (or other rare version) versions. i.e. a rare Pink Floyd or Zep CD will have far greater fan interest that there are discs produced, hence high prices. Artists that do not sell that much in general wouldn't rationally command high prices for rare items, as say Pink Floyd would. Right now they do, which doesn't make a lot of sense.

5. carrolls

carrolls Forum Resident

Apart from Rush, there aren't really any mega profile acts on the series. And even Rush are not regarded as especially mega profile. Well not since 1985 anyway.

6. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I just see a rare CD as a rare CD. Logically, a rare Pink Floyd CD should be worth more than a rare Demis Roussos CD, but in the collector's world, there's no logic.

When I collected action figures, often the less-known characters were the most valuable. That's because they usually came out as the line was winding down so they didn't sell as well. Plus, people didn't care about them and didn't buy them in the first place. This meant "Star Wars" figures from 1985 or so were often worth more than those from 1979...

7. dcathro

dcathro Forum Resident

Well done, although I cannot say that I am surprised, as you are often the seller of the rarest ones appearing on ebay.

8. ashlee5

ashlee5 Senior Member

The only thing I find surprising is that it is Keith who seems to be criticizing collector's mentality. Elsewhere, I (think I) found him making fun of Japanese CD collectors' fondness for obi strips. Et tu, Brute? :sponge:

:wave:

9. carrolls

carrolls Forum Resident

I just picked up The Best of BZN Green arrow from Amazon Zoverstocks UK for less than £5.00. :)
    I played it last night. What a load of horse crap musically from start to finish.
    Still it gets me up to 16 in that particular series.
    :frog:

Tjazz and Dave S like this.
  10. KeithH

That's the only green-arrow CD I've found cheap. I grabbed it for around $15 shipped a few years ago.

11. carrolls

carrolls Forum Resident

Its kind of infectious after a few listens.:D

12. billnunan

billnunan Forum Resident

Mous.jpg

Found this in the bins once. (Speaking of unlistenable music.)

13. mscoll

mscoll Forum Resident

That's nice. Congratulation, Michael. Zoverstocks has lots of early CDs. Their inventory system is based on barcodes, and if you know the bar code often you will find an early disc inside. This happen to me a several times. I believe many eBay sellers know this rule and buy discs from him.

carrolls likes this.
  14. chewy

chewy Forum Resident

i actyally passed on a 3 dollar digital dixie blue arrow a few yrs ago, i mean i dont regret it musically, but hell i should of got it. my ultimate blue arrow would be the art blakey. dont really need any green arrows bad although the lindsey buckingam would compliment the target nicely. never seen a green arrow in the bins but ive found multiple red polys

15. KeithH

I haven't gotten that far with the disc. ;)

16. KeithH

Still a nice find at bin prices. I found the blue-arrow pressing of Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers Night in Tunisia in the bins a couple of years ago.

darkmatter likes this.
  17. KeithH

The problem is that West German pressings of a given title with various label designs often carry the same UPC.

18. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

yup; last week I ordered what according to Zoverstock is the "US import" of Unkle's "Psyence Fiction" and then received the "regular" Euro version. I did a bit of research and it has been released everywhere with the same UPC. Nitpicking I could have asked for a refund (not manufactured in the US of A, after all) but it was a £0.01 CD, like new conditions and life's too short. I'll give it to a friend.

19. dcathro

dcathro Forum Resident

Picked up 10cc Gretest Hits on ebay for a good price.

That's my 14th, only 6 to go. At this rate, I should have them all by 2020 :laugh:

Anyone picked up that elusive 20th yet?

20. guitarcharlie

guitarcharlie Member

WOW, I just read a bunch of this thread and find it fascinating that people are collecting crappy music and spending a ton for these CD's...after reading the extended list the only one that sounds worth owning to me is the Art Blakey. So what makes collecting these any different from collecting bad music on early 8 track tapes or bad music on early 78 records even....I just don't see how unimportant music can be THAT collectable.... if I can't listen to it or don't want to, why...oh never mind....

21. ralph

ralph Forum Resident

We could explain it to you, but then we'd have to kill you.

billnunan, Kym, rudiger and 1 other person like this.
  22. rudiger

rudiger Well-Known Member

:laughup: can't stop laughing. best post in ages:tiphat:

Last edited: Apr 1, 2014
    billnunan likes this.
  23. mindblanking

mindblanking The Bourbon King

Found a 1979 all digital recording of Art Blakey "Night in Tunisia" with a later side group. Was recorded in Japan and issued from Phillips. Disc says Made in W. Germany. I did some searching and found this http://www.keithhirsch.com/the-rare...rs-night-in-tunisia-west-german-blue-arrow-cd on Keith's site. The disc I have seems to meet all of the same criteria with the exception that it's red "swirl" (I think that's what it's called) and only has two of the spelling errors. Tunisia is spelled wrong twice on the disc but Alto is spelled properly. Anyone know exactly what this is and where it fits into the history of early cds? I would post a pic but looks like we're not able to do that right now. Can send via email if someone wants to take a look. Thanks in advance. I'm really curious about this.

24. KeithH

The blue-arrow is the first version, released in 1982, maybe 1983. Your disc would be the second version and could be from 1983. Does the disc have a "MADE IN..." statement on the play side near the hole? What is the matrix code?

By the way, given that the blue-arrow disc I posted on my web site has three spelling errors, I have concluded that it is a counterfeit and have thrown it away. ;)

25. mindblanking

mindblanking The Bourbon King

Mine has two spelling errors... The matrix is the exact same as the one you describe with no hyphens 800 064 2 01 Says made in West Germany at 6 0'clock

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.